The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After yesterdays wind-up, today yesterdays job was jobbed. :think:

It was late in the daylight and with a gale blowing, so I stopped whilst I was winning and will have the test spin next session.

The PAS support bearing is MIG welded, ground, tweaked, painted and fitted with Loctite on threads, splines and bearing seats.

Fabricated using the standard bearing and tweaked about until the pulley rotated smoothly with no tight spots then fitted with the self centring bearing.

DEFCON 3 declared. :)

True faced OE PAS pulley Mk3

attachment.php?attachmentid=144840&d=1327245514

Adaptor Mk5

attachment.php?attachmentid=144841&d=1327245514

The finished bracket

attachment.php?attachmentid=144842&d=1327245514

Fitted

attachment.php?attachmentid=144843&d=1327245514

sc81 009.JPG

sc81 011.JPG

sc81 007.JPG

sc81 012.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

If this machine works the other thing you could consider is to modify the back alloy housing of the PAS pump to take a ball race and make a custom shaft that's supported both ends in a ball race. I hope the support you have done works, but there's a lot of flex because the support itself isn't very rigid, and it mounts to the block, while the pump itself is slightly flexibly mounted by dint of it being in its own stock cradle, (due to the flex of the stock cradle itself) cradle. If there was room I think I would have tried to mount the support back to the pump body itself, but maybe there isn't room behind the pulley? This belt drive is the one part of the setup that gives me the jitters, if the SC works well I can see you having to rethink this aspect completely. Great project, love this sort of thing, very best of luck, nice to see new things being patiently developed on a sensible budget. BTW. Thanks for reminding me about that postage, you are a gent ;)

To get the supercharger onto a working engine, I temporarily fitted a sawn-off throttle-body .

It needs a longer belt, but using the slightly smaller diameter alloy water-pump pulley, I managed to persuade the belt to go on for a maiden spin. :yahoo:

The top idler needs minor shimming to run true and the HT lead is not long enough, but all else appears happy. :)

[video=youtube_share;B-9wiyGaPo8]

The supercharger was open at both ends for the test spin, which allowed the noises to escape.

I could have assembled the suck side of things, but that would have been wasted effort, all is good with those components.

It's not possible to include the charge cooler and run it until I fit the 550 injectors, AEM ECU and treat it to a day on the rollers.

The test fit was to discover what belt length is required and to check pulleys for run-out.

Mission accomplished and the Supra was retuned to running order before it rained or became dark.

That's quite cheap; who from?

I'll need another one for the Typhoon at some point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350421116851?item=350421116851&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

P&P is the same for two as for one.

You can have the redundant 4061020 if it's the one you need?

Looking good David.

So far so good. :thumbs:

Planning to fit the gas-flowed runners and remove the vacuum components next, whilst at it, I can plonk the charge-cooler on and mark the spare bonnet for cutting. :)

You can have the redundant 4061020 if it's the one you need?

Thanks Dave but it's highly unlikely to fit. I bought one 3 years ago from Summit but it's going to be too long I think. I won't know the final length until the engine is rebuilt but the bare block is still in the kitchen! :D

I have spliced an N/A Supra throttle cam @ 180o onto a 1UZ-FE ramp mechanism and fabricated a cable bracket.

It was a fiddly job and finished too late to fit and test.

This throttle ramp reversion conversion :think: will enable me to use the shorter N/A cable and achieve smoother throttle operation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145297&d=1327875842

sc83 004.JPG