The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a lot of :run: running about this week :hunter: hunting down taps, pulleys, :tumble: missed parcels and 'things'. :think:

Today in-between the :badmood: rain showers, the :lazy: idler-pulley and :cold: temp-sensor jobs were sorted, :thumbs: but another job has crept back onto the list. :(

With the idler now running smoothly, :rolleyes: I have noticed that the modified PAS pulley has a slight :limp: twist in it and will need replacing. :confused:

Two steps forwards and only one back is a good day. :)

Now the weather is :cool: warming up, I am :doctor: working through the job list.

The :hide: Umpa-Lumpas' and I, ;) plan to :twak: have the conversion :senile: up-&-running for Suprapod to see what it can do.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

After a lot of :run: running about this week :hunter: hunting down taps, pulleys, :tumble: missed parcels and 'things'. :think:

Today in-between the :badmood: rain showers, the :lazy: idler-pulley and :cold: temp-sensor jobs were sorted, :thumbs: but another job has crept back onto the list. :(

With the idler now running smoothly, :rolleyes: I have noticed that the modified PAS pulley has a slight :limp: twist in it and will need replacing. :confused:

Two steps forwards and only one back is a good day. :)

Now the weather is :cool: warming up, I am :doctor: working through the job list.

The :hide: Umpa-Lumpas' and I, ;) plan to :twak: have the conversion :senile: up-&-running for Suprapod to see what it can do.

Lol! Can't wait to see this finished either :)

Enjoyable read catching up with your project there, got a little thrown by your DCR until I rattled the the pea in my head and realised that's your pressurised compression ratio DOH! I also don't think I've ever seen such extravagant use of smiley's in one thread - there must be a prize for that, surely:) Anyway, great work David, looking forward to seeing how it performs. What sort of power figures do you think/hoping it will put out?

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

It's frustrating that around every three jobs I cross off the top of the list, two more appear at the bottom, but I'll just keep chipping away until it eventually gives in. :shrug:

It's a big ask for all of the untested components in this contraption to function perfectly as imagined, but there's no way I can test any by running them under load before they are maxxxed out on the rollers, so on the day it'll be :thumbs: do -or- die :thumbdown: for the lot of them. :blink:

So I keep finding improved solutions for problems that haven't happened. :think:

When this day of reckoning comes, should it do what it say's on the imaginary tin, odds are on for the torque figures to be well into the 500 club, with an outside chance of horse power just scraping in.

Just make sure that when (oops, sorry, *IF*) the SC belt comes off) ;) it cannot get behind the cam belt cover and take the cam belt with it. Don't stand over it on running on the rollers, admiring your hard work. A face full of pulleys and a belt wrapped around your neck won't improve your devastating looks :)

Seriously, you have been very thorough, patient and diligent, you DESERVE to succeed, for sure :)

This build thread (and others) I the reason I joined this forum, being a real hands on project tinkerer kinda guy myself I love reading and watching the progression and thought , ingenious and clever stuff that goes on

Can't wait to see you finish the list of jobs :)

No deliveries today Noz, I will pm when the igniter turns up, that's not part of the project.

It's the Gatorback belts I'm itching to arrive, today I picked up another PAS pump pulley from Keron and dropped it off at the engineers to be re-faced, with these I can give the supercharger a third and hopefully final test spin with the the correct length belt, modified pulleys and adjustable tensioner.

I posted a thread about this in on the chat page, yet it needs to be included here.

The stainless steel 3" mid-pipe was thermal wrapped and this has caused the metal to exceeded it's maximum service temperature, which has unstainlessed the steel and also made it brittle.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1175

Taken from the above link.

Grade Intermittent (°C) Continuous (°C)

304 870°C 925°C

309 980°C 1095°C

310 1035°C 1150°C

316 870°C 925°C

321 870°C 925°C

410 815°C 705°C

416 760°C 675°C

420 735°C 620°C

430 870°C 815°C

2111HTR 1150°C 1150°C

The job looked a goodun.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121820&d=1272893007

Thermal wrapping removed and it doesn't look very stainless.

attachment.php?attachmentid=148775&d=1332530196

Pitted badly and cracked almost all the way around - where it hasn't been quite as hot you can actually see the last of the stainless returning to ferrous

attachment.php?attachmentid=148774&d=1332530196

The steel is now very thin and only just managed to weld a collar over it as a temporary fix.

I will replace the mid-pipe with new without thermal wrapping, nevertheless, the manifold is wrapped and must remain wrapped and could be in a similar state, so I will give it it's best chance by making a sturdy bracket to support the front flange and for 'piece of mind', a catch wire for the front of the mid-pipe.

I will put them on the list.