The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stretched tyres on your Supra....

Jamesy

Guest initial_j
James, just a few pointers from what I have learned speaking with others about stretching tyres (it is very common here in AU):

* I have heard quite a few accounts of people who have had blowouts or the lip of the rim disengaging from the lip of the tyres.

* A stretched tyre does not allow the bead to seal properly... so, if you hit a big pothole, the bead and tyre can actually blow out, not to mention improper/uneven wear on the tyres (the tyre rides partially on the sidewall, not the main tread patch that should be in contact with the road. As you know, sidewalls are not supposed to be driven on).

* One major issue is unseating of the bead... the stretched tyres tend to pull themselves off the beads far easier if low in pressure, and are more prone to puncture. The reason is that the angle of the sidewall is different, so if they go flat, they can VERY easily come off. Also, the sidewall is designed to absorb energy horizonatally, not at 45 degrees.

* Legal/insurance issues - will you still be covered if something happens?

* Stretched tyres can also expose parts of the tyre that should be protected (e.g. portions of the tyre below the part designed to protect the rim from curbing), which may also increase the possibility of a puncture.

sigh. not wanting to start an internet argument

but as per usual with this type of subject, like welded diffs, the people against who will tell you its dangerous are people who have "HEARD FROM OTHERS" its dangerous

not experienced it.

im stating that i myself, and a good 20 odd people i know, have been running what youd class stretched tyres for years, with NO issues

like i said, id say anything up to 225/40 on a 10j is FINE. i base that on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE

and that isnt retarded euro look stretch for the sake of it. it still handles and performs as well, if not better than a bigger tyre.

now on the other hand, stupid stretch i.e 195/205 on a 10j is retarded and serves no purpose other than "look at me" so yeah agreed, its a waste of time and may well be dangerous

but it angers me when people say ooooh 245 on a 10j thats a mega stretch and will kill you

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest initial_j

jamesy- as for arch works it complety depends how wide your wheels are and what offset. you supra dudes are quite fortunate that it doesnt take a huge low offset rim to fill the arch (as you pay a serious premuim for such rim) so youll have to find out what sits flush.

having owned a few toyotas at a guess id say 9.5/10j et30 would sit flush?

jamesy- as for arch works it complety depends how wide your wheels are and what offset. you supra dudes are quite fortunate that it doesnt take a huge low offset rim to fill the arch (as you pay a serious premuim for such rim) so youll have to find out what sits flush.

having owned a few toyotas at a guess id say 9.5/10j et30 would sit flush?

thanx mate - we suffer from having big offset and therefore less of a dish!!

already got the new wheels mate 18x11 et24 rears, just looking at tyre options. need a decent tyre on the rear for traction so have a 295/35 going on there!

Guest initial_j

oooh. 18x11 et24? christ that prob is going to take some arch work! would like to see some pics

just stick them on, see how they sit, then work out how much work your gonna need. im not a supra guru, but id guess youll either need a serious roll, or does anyone make wider rear fenders/arch extensions? be interested to know as im going to be building a mkiv soon.

if its anything like my jzx90, that running huge arch extensions and a 10j et12 sits flush!

this might be of help:

http://www.tyrestretch.com/index.php

but as per usual with this type of subject, like welded diffs, the people against who will tell you its dangerous are people who have "HEARD FROM OTHERS" its dangerous

not experienced it.

im stating that i myself, and a good 20 odd people i know, have been running what youd class stretched tyres for years, with NO issues

like i said, id say anything up to 225/40 on a 10j is FINE. i base that on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE

and that isnt retarded euro look stretch for the sake of it. it still handles and performs as well, if not better than a bigger tyre.

now on the other hand, stupid stretch i.e 195/205 on a 10j is retarded and serves no purpose other than "look at me" so yeah agreed, its a waste of time and may well be dangerous

but it angers me when people say ooooh 245 on a 10j thats a mega stretch and will kill you

I completely understand where you are coming from, both of our posts are anecdotal.

However, engineers do test these tyres and recommend rim widths for certain tyres for various reasons (including safety, not just wear/mileage etc) and the arguments against stretched tyres presented tend to be more technical, explaining WHY it may be a bad idea, rather than simply saying "Me and others have done it and had no problems".

Could be those who have had problems won't admit it or are not still around to tell of it. I could cross the road with my eyes closed my entire life and not get hit... do I want to risk it? no

How f'kin stupid does that look sat with it's arse on the ground, looks over function. :thumbdown:

Tyre spec should be optimised for grip and handling, suspension and ride height too.

Found these off mine when i stretched the 275/30/R19 on my 12" wheels, it was stupid but looked semi cool now I'm running 295 but the continental has smaller inner wall then the michillen sport.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=50354&d=1169312156

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=50355&d=1169312156

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=50356&d=1169312156

not experienced it.

A mate of mine keeps all sorts of poisonous things and pets and plays with them, he's never been bitten or stung....................yet;)

At the end of the day if you want to make your car look like a bag of shite its your perogative but just knowing people are pointing and laughing (especially when you think it is because ' you is lookin wick'd') would be enough to put me off, that and the fact it looks like someone left a button in your wheel arch:taped:

In fairness I think the majority of the car enthusiast 'world' think that a bit of stretch looks good and won't be laughing, sites like http://www.hellaflush.com and it's sheer popularity prove that, not to mention how massive the euro style is these days... Perhaps it's the older generation that 'doesn't get it'.

I can't say wether it's safe or not, but I am a member of a few euro sites and drifting sites and have never heard of a single problem with running a bit of stretch but that doesn't mean there hasn't been issues.

The look is down to personal taste, there will be a hater for every single mod/part out there I guess. :)

In fairness I think the majority of the car enthusiast 'world' think that a bit of stretch looks good and won't be laughing, sites like http://www.hellaflush.com and it's sheer popularity prove that, not to mention how massive the euro style is these days... Perhaps it's the older generation that 'doesn't get it'.

I can't say wether it's safe or not, but I am a member of a few euro sites and drifting sites and have never heard of a single problem with running a bit of stretch but that doesn't mean there hasn't been issues.

The look is down to personal taste, there will be a hater for every single mod/part out there I guess. :)

:yeahthat:

I think people are missing the point, no one is after going daft with the stretched look, something nice and subtle.

I suppose it should be left to us NA boys to do so when we crash its another fake supra off the road :D

Here are some pics of Mine, front are 225/40/18 on a 9.5, rears are 235/40/18 also on 9.5 all wheel are ET18, although I run +20mm rear spacers and 15mm front, so the offset would actually be negative.

I use stretched tryes to get the look and wheel fitment I am after.

As for comments of other Supra owners laughing, they aren't laughing as hard as I am at there Veilside sideskirts, "sharkmouth bumper", ET45 7.5 J wheels and 4x4 rideheight :p.

As I recover from the Syvecs install and mapping costs, I will be going up to 10.5J front with a 245 and 12J rears with 265 or 285.

As for unsafe, yes I share a concern that if punctured they will unseat, but I used 225 all round on a 9.5J for the whole season of EDC and never had a problem with unseating, this was with close to 100mph sideways entries.

I was not talking about 'car' people laughing, I mean normal people, the sort who see the cars every day parked up, even my daughter saw one of the pics and asked whats wrong with the car ?????

Can anyone tell me the point of this, why run a small tyre on a wide rim, the tire footprint is the same as if it was on a rim recomended for that tire, you are not gaining anything by running the bigger wheel, if you buy the correct wheel to start with you can run a 295 or even wider on a stock supra, they do not handle any better either and I doubt there are many on thios forum or any other that can drive well enough to even quantify that statement either way, ive seen it all before on the bikes, most people are quicker on a sports touring tire than the softest rubber as the touring tire heats up and is more predictable. This is just a pointless excersise that looks disgusting and just makes me laugh.

Here is a usefull guide i found, i have posted it on here before but thought this thread deserves it in as well.

Rim width---Min tyre width----Ideal tyre width-------Max tyre width

7.0 inches-----195 mm--------205 or 215 mm-----------225 mm

7.5 inches-----205 mm--------215 or 225 mm-----------235 mm

8.0 inches-----215 mm--------225 or 235 mm-----------245 mm

8.5 inches-----225 mm--------235 or 245 mm-----------255 mm

9,0 inches-----235 mm--------245 or 255 mm-----------265 mm

9.5 inches-----245 mm--------255 or 265 mm-----------275 mm

10.0 inches----255 mm--------265 or 275 mm-----------285 mm

10.5 inches----265 mm--------275 or 285 mm-----------295 mm

11.0 inches----275 mm--------285 or 295 mm-----------305 mm

11.5 inches----285 mm--------295 or 305 mm-----------315 mm

12.0 inches----295 mm--------305 or 315 mm-----------325 mm

12.5 inches----305 mm--------315 or 325 mm-----------335 mm

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I am sure any insurance assessor worth a dime would love to find that set up on a car involved in a "biggie". Christmas would have come early for him. I am also sure it wouldn't pass a legitimate MOT, and as Dude mentioned, there'll be something in the Construction and Use act to say suitably matched tyres and rims need to be used. Quite how low have things come when a finely engineered car is raped in the desire to make it look at home on some sink estate amongst worst excesses of moron's home styling attempts? :)