The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stretched tyres on your Supra....

Jamesy

I am sure any insurance assessor worth a dime would love to find that set up on a car involved in a "biggie". Christmas would have come early for him. I am also sure it wouldn't pass a legitimate MOT, and as Dude mentioned, there'll be something in the Construction and Use act to say suitably matched tyres and rims need to be used. Quite how low have things come when a finely engineered car is raped in the desire to make it look at home on some sink estate amongst worst excesses of moron's home styling attempts? :)

Not going for that look then Chris.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was not talking about 'car' people laughing, I mean normal people, the sort who see the cars every day parked up, even my daughter saw one of the pics and asked whats wrong with the car ?????

Can anyone tell me the point of this, why run a small tyre on a wide rim, the tire footprint is the same as if it was on a rim recomended for that tire, you are not gaining anything by running the bigger wheel, if you buy the correct wheel to start with you can run a 295 or even wider on a stock supra, they do not handle any better either and I doubt there are many on thios forum or any other that can drive well enough to even quantify that statement either way, ive seen it all before on the bikes, most people are quicker on a sports touring tire than the softest rubber as the touring tire heats up and is more predictable. This is just a pointless excersise that looks disgusting and just makes me laugh.

The point is to fit bigger wheels than the arches can take which I think from a looks point if your not going stupid does improve the look of your average car. It has absolutely nothing to do with peformance and I am certain that everyone running stretched tyres knows that it would handle better with the "correct size tyres" but thats not the point and the correct size tyres in the majority of cases wouldn't physically fit in the arch.

@ Chris, I have never had any problem at MOT time, even my R33 GTR had 245's on a 9.5J it passed its MOT every year and I never had a single comment about them. It was also more fun to drive as it had slightly less grip than the 265's I previously ran allround.

There are only "guidelines" as to which width tyre should be fitted to which rim width there is no law.

The point is to fit bigger wheels than the arches can take which I think from a looks point if your not going stupid does improve the look of your average car. It has absolutely nothing to do with peformance and I am certain that everyone running stretched tyres knows that it would handle better with the "correct size tyres" but thats not the point and the correct size tyres in the majority of cases wouldn't physically fit in the arch.

@ Chris, I have never had any problem at MOT time, even my R33 GTR had 245's on a 9.5J it passed its MOT every year and I never had a single comment about them. It was also more fun to drive as it had slightly less grip than the 265's I previously ran allround.

There are only "guidelines" as to which width tyre should be fitted to which rim width there is no law.

Thats not that bad ?, probably be corrected but the uk spec standard rears were 255 on 9.5j. I think a little stretched is okay maybe 1 size over but I think the talk about is those who want the look of the rim sticking out and 3-4 sizes to small euro style .

David, beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder but I still dont see the point of fitting big wheels and small tyres, the wheels only look as big as the tyres allow them to, bit like saying my birds got huge tits, thats great if she doesnt have a huge gut and fat arse if so the big tits are a bit of a moot point;)

As for MOT's we all have someone we know, I bet half our cars would not pass if the VOSA man was watching, go read the police online link PJ posted, you WILL get charged and trust me a magistrate will not side with you or me or anyone against a serving traffic officer who's get out will be that 'in his OPINION these tyres are dangerous, that is the crux they have that power as long as they charge you with the correct offence, go read it its all in the thread. Either way the look IMO is absolutly hilarious, I'll stick with my 11's and 295's on the back, ;)

Guest initial_j
yeah man, my 13 running 225/40/18 all round on 10j

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4318/img0791up.jpg

fao dude: so does that look laughable? do you think most people who saw it said "fuck that looks crap" and laughed?

maybe im wrong. id like to see how your supra sits (genuinly, it could well be amazing. just genuinly interested on what your basing stretch looking crap on)

as for the legality. perfectly legal, passed several MOTs at various places, and police have never had a problem as it is NOT against the law.

as i think cars with huge arch gaps and balloon tyres look a lot more laughable than those at a decent height and stretched. maybe just my opinion?

whoever put that picture of a rim blown out. fucks sake. that really does sum the internet up for me. that could of been caused by ANYTHING.

but if it makes you all happy to live in a world you believe anything you read. carry on. im not going to go on anymore, but will try once more to get this point across:

you are basing your beliefs on what you have HEARD. i am basing it on the few hundred tyres i have got through the last few years, and the few thousand tyres people i know and drift with have also got through with NO PROBLEMS. though im sure youll completly ignore that statement as you once heard on a forum there dangerous

and myself or anyone else in this thread has said "i run stretch because it looks wicked innit" i run stretch because its better for drifting and i can lower my car a lot more without tyres hitting the arch

Edited by initial_j (see edit history)

do you think most people who saw it said "fuck that looks crap" and laughed?

No, I thought 'that looks fucking stupid' and hung my head in despair.

If its on a drift car specifically to make it easier to drift then fine (everytone needs to learn somehow). On a road car its fucking clown shoes. It looks shite and it looks dangerous and I'd have no sympathy if I read your "Boo hoo the Police have banned me for my wheels" thread.

And before you ask, my car is lowered about 25mm on 9.5"f/10"r 17" wheels because I actually drive my car and appreciate the little things like good handling, grip, decent tyre life and the ability to drive on British roads without worrying about getting grounded trying to drive over a pebble.

fao dude: so does that look laughable? do you think most people who saw it said "fuck that looks crap" and laughed?

maybe im wrong. id like to see how your supra sits (genuinly, it could well be amazing. just genuinly interested on what your basing stretch looking crap on)

as for the legality. perfectly legal, passed several MOTs at various places, and police have never had a problem as it is NOT against the law.

as i think cars with huge arch gaps and balloon tyres look a lot more laughable than those at a decent height and stretched. maybe just my opinion?

whoever put that picture of a rim blown out. fucks sake. that really does sum the internet up for me. that could of been caused by ANYTHING.

but if it makes you all happy to live in a world you believe anything you read. carry on. im not going to go on anymore, but will try once more to get this point across:

you are basing your beliefs on what you have HEARD. i am basing it on the few hundred tyres i have got through the last few years, and the few thousand tyres people i know and drift with have also got through with NO PROBLEMS. though im sure youll completly ignore that statement as you once heard on a forum there dangerous

and myself or anyone else in this thread has said "i run stretch because it looks wicked innit" i run stretch because its better for drifting and i can lower my car a lot more without tyres hitting the arch

Like I just said if you like the stretch look, you will not like how my car sits, there is quite a large thread in the project section, as I like the drag look eg 15" rear tyres you will hate it, but no matter what aside from using them for drifting if you dont have enough power;) I cant see why anyone would want to reduce their grip:blink:

No, I thought 'that looks fucking stupid' and hung my head in despair.

If its on a drift car specifically to make it easier to drift then fine. On a road car its fucking clown shoes. It looks shite and it looks dangerous and I'd have no sympathy if I read your "Boo hoo the Police have banned me for my wheels" thread.

And before you ask, my car is lowered about 25mm on 9.5"f/10"r 17" wheels because I actually drive my car and appreciate the little things like good handling, grip, decent tyre life and the ability to drive on British roads without worrying about getting grounded trying to drive over a pebble.

The car that one the EDC didn't have stretched tyres on it, neither does the supra in the BDC:taped:

Guest initial_j
That'll be because they know how to drift a car properly without relying on 'training wheels' ;)

[/trollmode] :innocent:

right. yep thats why. nothing to do with the ammount of power luney runs on that supra at all.

training wheels? right ok. youve obviously done lots of drifting yeah?

Guest initial_j
None at all. If I did, however, I'd be doing it on properly fitted tyres.

oh right. what a fucking suprise. good stuff. so your basing your opinions on what youve read on the internet. you hero. come back and tell me all about what difference tyres make when youve been through a few hundred yeah

David, beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder but I still dont see the point of fitting big wheels and small tyres, the wheels only look as big as the tyres allow them to, bit like saying my birds got huge tits, thats great if she doesnt have a huge gut and fat arse if so the big tits are a bit of a moot point;)

As for MOT's we all have someone we know, I bet half our cars would not pass if the VOSA man was watching, go read the police online link PJ posted, you WILL get charged and trust me a magistrate will not side with you or me or anyone against a serving traffic officer who's get out will be that 'in his OPINION these tyres are dangerous, that is the crux they have that power as long as they charge you with the correct offence, go read it its all in the thread. Either way the look IMO is absolutly hilarious, I'll stick with my 11's and 295's on the back, ;)

LOL we'll agree to disagree on the 1st point.

The link proved does not prove stretch is illegal there are 3 main points:-

1. Rim must not stick past the arch by 30mm (OK)

2. Lack of insurance, with the case of my GTR i told them the tyre size, so OK there

3. Tyres must be fitted withing manufactuers recomendations

The tyre manufactures dont actually make this information freely available, for example try finding Conti or Toyo recomended rim size for 225/40/18.

Fitment (i.e stretch up to +14.7mm on a 245 will pass a TUV test) making my GTR fully legal with a 9.5J.

Fuuuuucking hell :D

Ok my point is i bought big arse wheels as i wanted the biggest possible dish and i need to go wide :)

I will have a big fat rear tyre for traction and modify the rear to suit. However i reckon with a small stretch (235/40 on a 9.5j) i'll get the fronts straight on :)

None at all. If I did, however, I'd be doing it on properly fitted tyres.

No you wouldn't be tempted at all by all the locost 225 tyres you would insist on destroying 3-4 sets of brand new Toyo 265 on a practise day.

You also would't be happy (as your not competing) not having to go quite as fast to find the limit of your tyres resulting in shortened stopping distances and less possibilty of hitting things.

That'll be because they know how to drift a car properly without relying on 'training wheels' ;)

[/trollmode] :innocent:

Prob slightly unfair there dude, depends on style and power and how you like to initiate the drift, I suppose i9f you can practice at lower speed that makes sense and I can see having em on a drift car as they are normally kin ugly anyway and you cant see how silly they look when they are shrouded in tyre smoke.