• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest initial_j

top internet argument

ive run 225/40 on a 10j on several cars for the last few years. not because i think it looks cool but because i run my cars as low as possible with proper fitment, and any bigger tyres would hit the arches

i consider that a stretch but not to the point of it making huge difference or being just for show. 205 as pictured is too much and being done for no reason

225/40 is fine on a 10j, been running them front and rear, yes its a drift car however never had any problems with front grip, which needs to be mega grippy when drifting. and never had a tyre pop off a rim (another internet myth)

so to answer your question yep, its absolutely fine.

James, just a few pointers from what I have learned speaking with others about stretching tyres (it is very common here in AU):

* I have heard quite a few accounts of people who have had blowouts or the lip of the rim disengaging from the lip of the tyres.

* A stretched tyre does not allow the bead to seal properly... so, if you hit a big pothole, the bead and tyre can actually blow out, not to mention improper/uneven wear on the tyres (the tyre rides partially on the sidewall, not the main tread patch that should be in contact with the road. As you know, sidewalls are not supposed to be driven on).

* One major issue is unseating of the bead... the stretched tyres tend to pull themselves off the beads far easier if low in pressure, and are more prone to puncture. The reason is that the angle of the sidewall is different, so if they go flat, they can VERY easily come off. Also, the sidewall is designed to absorb energy horizonatally, not at 45 degrees.

* Legal/insurance issues - will you still be covered if something happens?

* Stretched tyres can also expose parts of the tyre that should be protected (e.g. portions of the tyre below the part designed to protect the rim from curbing), which may also increase the possibility of a puncture.

still too much stretch for me here-

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/trevsmotor/front.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/trevsmotor/front2.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/trevsmotor/front3.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/trevsmotor/rear.jpg

James, just a few pointers from what I have learned speaking with others about stretching tyres (it is very common here in AU):

* I have heard quite a few accounts of people who have had blowouts or the lip of the rim disengaging from the lip of the tyres.

* A stretched tyre does not allow the bead to seal properly... so, if you hit a big pothole, the bead and tyre can actually blow out, not to mention improper/uneven wear on the tyres (the tyre rides partially on the sidewall, not the main tread patch that should be in contact with the road. As you know, sidewalls are not supposed to be driven on).

* One major issue is unseating of the bead... the stretched tyres tend to pull themselves off the beads far easier if low in pressure, and are more prone to puncture. The reason is that the angle of the sidewall is different, so if they go flat, they can VERY easily come off. Also, the sidewall is designed to absorb energy horizonatally, not at 45 degrees.

* Legal/insurance issues - will you still be covered if something happens?

* Stretched tyres can also expose parts of the tyre that should be protected (e.g. portions of the tyre below the part designed to protect the rim from curbing), which may also increase the possibility of a puncture.

thanx a lot, interesting read.....as mentioned i wont be going for a mega stretch, probably a 235/40 on a 9.5j :)

thats the car i originally based my opinion of stretch look on. i love that. and its the same wheels i have!!!