Jamesy

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sigh. not wanting to start an internet argument

but as per usual with this type of subject, like welded diffs, the people against who will tell you its dangerous are people who have "HEARD FROM OTHERS" its dangerous

not experienced it.

im stating that i myself, and a good 20 odd people i know, have been running what youd class stretched tyres for years, with NO issues

like i said, id say anything up to 225/40 on a 10j is FINE. i base that on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE

and that isnt retarded euro look stretch for the sake of it. it still handles and performs as well, if not better than a bigger tyre.

now on the other hand, stupid stretch i.e 195/205 on a 10j is retarded and serves no purpose other than "look at me" so yeah agreed, its a waste of time and may well be dangerous

but it angers me when people say ooooh 245 on a 10j thats a mega stretch and will kill you

ok what purpose does not to fit correct tyres to a rim serve

As mentioned a few times already in this thread .... To get a wide arse wheel to fit under stock arches for one. ;)

Correct me if im wrong dude but isn't the idea of a wide arse wheel to fit a wide arse tyre to, bit like having a veilside surge tank and fitting a smaller than stock TB to it!!!!:blink:

Tyre design is crucial to a tyres performance. Grip is directly related to tyre temperature. A classic illustration of how temperature influences grip was the last F1 race. Tyres designed for road use have been carefully designed to maintain a design operating temperature. There are three main generators of heat in a tyre, the first is the interaction of the tire and the road surface, second is the movement of the tread blocks, and the third is the movement of the side wall. By stretching a road tyre beyond it's design limits, you dramatically reduce the heat generated by the last two factors, as you are restricting the designed movement. Less heat = less grip. So it just makes no sense in car performance or safety terms to over stretch a tyre. It there is a big difference between a drift car,which is used on a circuit, where grip is an enemy and a road car where the best grip possible is of paramount importance in terms of road safety and improved performance.

Tyres also perform a major role in the suspension system, where an over stretched tyre will compromise that too.

It would be interesting to hear an insurance company's view, I am pretty sure it would concur with the tyre manufactures view.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

heres a funny thing for you, a guy up here in Aberdeen has an mx5 with a fairly big stretch on the tyres, he got pulled over a few weeks back and the police were trying to do him for having a dangerous vehicle, it ended up that he got let off with it.

One week later, a good friend of mine who owns a glanza gets pulled by different police officers for a check over basically, he runs a small stretch on his tyres but the wheels do stick out a bit.. what was the police advise to him..... either get wheels that fit or.... get a MORE STRETCHED tyre so that the tread is in the arches..

explaine that one... lol :blink:

heres a funny thing for you, a guy up here in Aberdeen has an mx5 with a fairly big stretch on the tyres, he got pulled over a few weeks back and the police were trying to do him for having a dangerous vehicle, it ended up that he got let off with it.

One week later, a good friend of mine who owns a glanza gets pulled by different police officers for a check over basically, he runs a small stretch on his tyres but the wheels do stick out a bit.. what was the police advise to him..... either get wheels that fit or.... get a MORE STRETCHED tyre so that the tread is in the arches..

explaine that one... lol :blink:

Thats the problem, its down to the coppers discretion and what he thinks. How would you answer Terminators statement in court.

Thats the problem, its down to the coppers discretion and what he thinks. How would you answer Terminators statement in court.

yeah, that is the problem, you'd at least think that areas of police would have a little bit of the same opinion on a subject though.. instead of one trying to get someone done for stretch and another advising to stretch, it's crazy!

and i agree, you can't argue on terminators post, and i also agree that overstretched tyres and the extreme stretch look is ridiculous.. but i will admit that a small stretch to get the wheels sitting right can look good, i like a little bit of poke is all lol, it's just personal opinion. :)

Rule is that ALL tire tread must be under the arch.

If wheel sticks out, and tyre tread is sticking out = illegal

if wheel sticks out, and tyre is stretched, thus tyre is not sticking out = legal

yeah this is the whole reason for stretching tyres and why it was ever 'invented', at least thats what i thought... i mean it's not suppose to be the stretch thats 'cool' it's suppose to be the wide wheels and how they sit, the stretch is only there to achieve the look and still be legal, at least thats what i thought anywhoo.

and so you can see, this is the mx5 from aberdeen that the police tried to get done... and i'm not fucking surprised! lol

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs380.snc4/44294_460621950406_728020406_6334927_6402629_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs300.snc4/41358_460622180406_728020406_6334931_412304_n.jpg

this is just ridiculous.. :eek:

I think the whole sticking out side the wheel arch thing is totally missing the point. A driver has a responsibility to ensure the car is fit for the road. When a tyre is fitted to a rim that is outside or inside the rim sizes specified by the manufacturer it is outside the safety standard for which the tyre is designed. Therefore the car is not fit for use on public roads, insurance will be invalid. Your insurance company will have to pay out to third parties, then come after you to recoup losses. If personal injury claims are involved you would be screwed to the end of your days.

Of all the things to modify on a car, over stretching the tyres must be the craziest mod of all, I don't think those who do it have really thought it through. Whether you think it looks cool or not, you are messing with the very last thing that keeps you car on the road. To intentionally compromise that essential road/tyre interaction is irresponsible, totally selfish and stupid.

Just had a thought about the rears.

Instead of bunging on the 295/35 R888, i might stick a 273/35 Avon for the short term. Reason for my thinking is the 275 will give a slight stretch and will prob mean i can drive the car for now without touching the arches. This then allows me to drive it for a bit while i wait to get the rear arches done.

Also being as the whether is so crap i womt be giving it much wot so traction might not be too much of an issue??!!

I would pull out the paper my university lecturer gave us in 3rd year of Chassis dynamic and handlind which shows that roll stiffness is increased with tyre stretch.

I would basically use facts against hearsay and internet chat.

The Insurance bit has already been covered, ring up to "update your poilcy details" give them the new wheel sizes and tyres sizes at the same time. Then they were informed and if they have any problem they should state it when informed.