The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stretched tyres on your Supra....

Jamesy

I think the whole sticking out side the wheel arch thing is totally missing the point. A driver has a responsibility to ensure the car is fit for the road. When a tyre is fitted to a rim that is outside or inside the rim sizes specified by the manufacturer it is outside the safety standard for which the tyre is designed. Therefore the car is not fit for use on public roads, insurance will be invalid. Your insurance company will have to pay out to third parties, then come after you to recoup losses. If personal injury claims are involved you would be screwed to the end of your days.

Of all the things to modify on a car, over stretching the tyres must be the craziest mod of all, I don't think those who do it have really thought it through. Whether you think it looks cool or not, you are messing with the very last thing that keeps you car on the road. To intentionally compromise that essential road/tyre interaction is irresponsible, totally selfish and stupid.

In this thread we aren't talking about hugely overstretched tyres like the MX5 pictures posted above. A 245 on a 9.5J is within some tyre manufactuers recomended limits (but the limits are very hard to find).

There is no "design limit" just recomendations, the strict German Tuv test even allows +/-14.7mm deviation rim to tyre fitment on a 225.

If you find some technical data showing slight tyre stretch is dangerous I would be very intereested to see it.

But again this is all internet talk with no facts

Edited by David Reid (see edit history)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In this thread we aren't talking about hugely overstretched tyres like the MX5 pictures posted above. A 245 on a 9.5J is within some tyre manufactuers recomended limits (but the limits are very hard to find).

There is no reccomeded "design limit", the strict German Tuv test even allows +/-14.7mm deviation rim to tyre fitment on a 225.

If you find some technical data showing slight tyre stretch is dangerous I would be very intereested to see it.

But again this is all internet talk with no facts

I could live with the stretch on the skyline as David says the issue is with the silly stretch.

I also don't see Jamesy's issue as I have 295 on a n 11 inch rim with loads of room.

What is the problem with the 295's, with the right offset they should fit without touching the arches.

I run 285's on my car, no arch rubbing at all.

I also don't see Jamesy's issue as I have 295 on a n 11 inch rim with loads of room.

Are all these 295 tyres sat on an 11j wheel with an et24? if so i have no worries and will gladly stick them on....from the test fit pics of my wheels it dont look like a flush tyre will fit the car (as it is currently)

:)

Toyo 295/35/18 don't exist, it's 295/30/18

Edit a thread on SF about it : http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559688

A sample of comments from the first page sums it up for me

"That could be the gayest thing I have ever seen"

"What a bunch of fucking retards over on zilvia.net. wow"

"That has got to be the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. Why spend all that money on nice wide rims and put them tiny tires on them. I think they should give us the rims and we can show them how they are supposed to look"

"stupid and gay"

"god, please bring a plague upon this hella flush trend and kill it before it spreads "

And it goes on

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i ended up buying a pair of 225/40/18's Falken 452 for the 18x9.5j fronts.....

although its not a big stretch and they went on easily, i am going to change for a pair of 245/40 as i think it'll still clear the arch.

also, even though ive been told by lots of people its safe, i dont feel safe with it on at all, and its making the rim look too skinny!!

The last thing the tyre fitter said to me was "dont go round any corners at speed" ... erm, thats exactly how i like to drive!! :D

All the effort & money to make your car super fast...... it seems crazy to do anything that nerfs the handling!

yep!

Plus the fronts have to be pumped up to around 50psi, which makes the steering light as anything!!

Ah well, i tried it and now i know! ;)

I have personally had experience with stretched Tyres, and while you may think they are safe, I have had some of the cheaper Tyres split between the grip and side wall as they weren't designed to be pulled that far, once it split at higher speeds not fun :(

Firstly if you come some very picky Essex police it's an instant 3 points but the main thing is safety. And they are not safe.

One of the guys over here has a ridicolous stretch on the Wheels, forget how many times the stupid tyres popped off. I am running 275 with 10.5J rears and am going to get a 285 next, trust me you will be thankful with the Rim protector. 275 on mine is too stretched even a 295 might be needed and I only have 10.5J wheels

Below wheels are 12.5 inch on rear and 10.5 inch on front.

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-3865020.jpeg

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-3865023.jpeg

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-3865021.jpeg

275 stretched on a 10.5J wheel, as you can see if you hit a pot hole she will get curbed no rim protection

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs100.snc4/36381_1212068641875_1833547789_425546_3339226_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs100.snc4/36381_1212068721877_1833547789_425548_4273563_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs100.snc4/36381_1212070161913_1833547789_425553_919620_n.jpg

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

From the front that looks terrible

Everywhere we go you need a tow truck in tow, think his last pop-off was at 80KM/H; it looks great in the flesh, pics dont do her justice but she is completly Impractical and it is dangerous

Once you go over 285 in tyres then they start to really go $$$$, would always stay with a wheel in around 285 width in tyres

275, 285 is the correct width on a 10.5" wheel, a lot of tyres offer no rim protection and some come with a much squarer sidewall than others making them looked less stretched.

I posted a usefull tyre width guide in post number 73 in this thread :)

I have 295's on 11.5" wheels and have had no grip issues or uneven wear issues, tyres coming off rims or sidewall damage.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)