The mkiv Supra Owners Club

full respray and rebuild

Guest adam b

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK lads i got all the suspension arms and tie rods of the passenger side,over the weekend.

(pics posted soon).looking at the condition ther in im not waisting money on new arms when new bushes and a good shot blast is all thats needed lol..

after calling MVP last night thay told me the R2 racing bushes or on back order so i decided to to have a look around for somthing nearer to home..

i found some proflex bushes from a tuning site that was much better then all the other prices iv found..;):D

toyota just called ,my new hubs and front brake kit is in and that is in so im going over tomorrow to pick them up.

so the next move is to take the arms over to worcestor powder coating and get them shot blasted ,and get the new bush,s fitted as soon as thay come from mr post,e

Right after a rethink im going to have my new arms i orderd instead of tarting up the old ones.:D

when you add up the new bushs,shot blasting ,plating its just about half the price of new ones, and you carnt replace the ball joints cos ther part of the arms,so its better to pay that bit more and have new for peace of mind..;)

Here are the pics of the suspension coming out,it was a bit of a pain in the bum,due to not having much ground clearance,but i got ther after a bit of wd 40 and a few swear words later,:taped:

i carnt wait to get the new parts on.:cool:

A few pics of the car washed down,just before i started..

Photo0105.jpg

Photo0106.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Photo0115.jpg

Photo0116.jpg

Photo0119.jpg

Photo0117.jpg

Photo0123.jpg

Photo0122.jpg

Nice work :thumbs: I like the front white and black, thats was the one of the options i was thinking on mine when i had my resprayed but instead of the black been in those two corners i sprayed the black in the middle section and the two side bits.

Looking forward when you finish this

Any close ups of the paint fella?

il get some pics in a bit...it needs a good moping yet tho fella, thers also a few little bits to do that im not happy with,,

i dont know if im happy with how the front bumper fits, thers a small gap between the bottom of the lights and the bumper my ocd will not put up with it like that so i will have to address that when iv done the running gear..

Nice work :thumbs: I like the front white and black, thats was the one of the options i was thinking on mine when i had my resprayed but instead of the black been in those two corners i sprayed the black in the middle section and the two side bits.

Looking forward when you finish this

cheers mate;):D

hi peeps,well i got a bit more done on the supra..:D

i had a real good look at the lower passenger arm and found it to be in very good condition and the ball joint was also fine.

so i took it to worcestor powder coating in pershore, thay gave it a real good blasting and only charged me a £10;)

iv got them to powder coat the suspension bracket and the tie rod in red for just a £5:innocent: monday morning il post up when ther done.

but for now il post up the pics of the lower arm blasted .when i got home i gave the bits a few coats of matt black ... il be sending for the new power flex bushs in a day or two and get them fitted (with pics):D:D

here are the pics of the lower arm work, the paint is shiny here cos it was just done .the arms are nice and matt finish now..

power flex bushs yet to be fitted,

Photo0141.jpg

Photo0142.jpg

Photo0143.jpg

Photo0144.jpg

Photo0145.jpg

im having to work on one side at a time cos of it being on the drive and having no ramp .

here,s a few more parts iv bought for the front passenger side. drivers side is next,then work will start on the back end.:D

NEW PASSENGER SHOCK

NEW PASSENGER UPPER ARM

NEW UK SPEC CALIPER

NEW HUB

NEW SHIM KIT

NEW FITTING KIT

NEW STEERING KNUCKLE (orderd)

NEW BREMBO DRILLED DISCS (orderd)

NEW GREEN STUFF PADS,(orderd)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it for the passenger side.I bought a few other parts aswell

NEW FACELIFT REAR LIGHTS AND LOOMS

NEW RADIATOR COULING

NEW PASSENGER MIRROR

Photo0160.jpg

Photo0151.jpg

Photo0152.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

Photo0154.jpg

Photo0155.jpg

Photo0156.jpg

Photo0157.jpg

Photo0158.jpg

Photo0161.jpg

Edited by adam b (see edit history)

Morning all....:D:D:D

well its trying to snow here,but that will not stop me ,ha ha ..im gonna take the old passenger shock off today and take a look see at what els can be done..

im gonna take the old rear lights out ,then fit the new ones...

I will keep the pics rolling for the project thread.. as this thread will soon need moving ther now iv decided to build the supra with mostly new oem parts & some after market stuff..

except buying new engine from toyota,i will be buying all new parts..

I will get the engine rebuilt by dude next year,by then the rest of the car will be renewed and that should be the last job,setteling on around 600bhp

OK a small update,,,

im of to pick up the rest of the parts from mr T for the passenger side, im not getting OEM suspension now,each complete shock is made up of eight parts and costs at least £300:blink: so im going with coil overs...

thay dident give me the complete hub,so i got on the phone to john ,he said parts were missing and for my trouble thay would not charge me for the steering knuckle.:).

so ther should be a new knuckle and complete hub waiting for me ..

im of to the powder coaters aswell today to get the suspension bracket & the tie rod done in red..:D:d

My new parts should be at toyota this morning.Thay said the 28th so im gonna bell them in a bit.:D:D

new steering knuckle

new complete hub

new dust cover.

I also picked up the powder coated parts ,thay sure look good in red...il take some pics in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adam b

HI to all.;):D:D

Well iv not had much time to do eny work on the car ,due to other things taken my time...

but just latly iv managed to get some supra time back in,.:cool:.

the lower arm has had a nice few coats of metal paint to protect it after shot blasted.

Then i fitted the powder coated suspension bracket back on ,hand painted the bolts also.:D

Once that was out the way it was time to get the new POWERFLRX bushes in,i was really happy with how its turned out and im sure the handling will be nice and sharp.:eyebrows:

Photo0209.jpg

Photo0210.jpg

Photo0228.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

Photo0233.jpg

Photo0234.jpg

Photo0235.jpg

Photo0238.jpg

Photo0240.jpg

Guest adam b

I got some drilled BREMBO brake discs,:D:d

im waiting for YELLOW STUFF pads and GOODRIDGE braided lines to come from ebay,that should do nice for the new 4 pot uk,s...:ok:

I picked up the new steering knuckle,hub,new barring and dust cover.all built up for me thanks to john at worcestor toyota..:trophy:

Here is a few more pics..

Im gonna get this lot on over the weekend (weather permiting) then i can get started on the drivers side.

MY ops on my shoulders are pending and the first op will be with in 8 weeks from now then when its healed ther doing the other shoulder.

so i dont think il be doing the rebuild on the back of the car,,as il be healing for up to a year or more,so il let my locol garage do the work ,its only accross the road from my house so its no bother..thay all race class 9 buggys and do all ther own work ,so it will still be a high standerd of workman ship..:thumbs:

Photo0205.jpg

Photo0207.jpg

Photo0208.jpg

Edited by adam b (see edit history)

Guest adam b

I picked up the new looms ,bulbs needed to fit the face lift rears..

So il get those fitted over the weekend really looking fowerd to getting some more of the car done,now iv got some spare time..;):D:D

Photo0161.jpg

Guest adam b

I orderd some new outer\inner steering rod track ends from mr t today.

i dont wont rusty parts on the car , the outer rod ends are rusty so thay have to go and i thought i might aswell get the inners aswell with new boots of corse

im replacing the steering rack bushes aswell ,i wont the car to drive and feel like new.:eyebrows:.

no doubt i will need a some info as i go (strip) the steering rack as to where the bushes are located...

as john (toyota worcestor) said a must be carfull of not to disturb the oil seals because ther very hard to refit.

im sure ther will be some one here to help me when i need it:D:)

Guest adam b

Well what great weather today, the sun was out and so was i,under the car that was.:cool:

i took the plastic arches out and cleaned under the wheel arch,and the back of the wing.when all was cleaned and tac raged i stone chiped all the area,s above..:D

i was very happy with the finished result . I striped the shock so the springs can be powder coated ,im replacing the rubber boots on the shock and the rubber bump stop ..The shock has no leaks or noise from it...

im refurbing the oem one,s untill i finish doing the work on the suspension parts,then chris wilson is going to fit some BILSTEINS fast road spec,s on the old girl for me .;)

Thers no way i would put the old ones back on with out doing the above to them as thay would show the rest of the build up IMO.

Thay will be as new when im done with them .

Tomorrow i will be getting on with fitting the A arms and tie rod,hub and the rest of the bits:D. IM still waiting on the yellow stuff pads and the goodridge stainless lines to come...

Il get the pics on in a bit