The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888 price gone mad?

JamieP

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant face spending 500-600 on a pair of rear tyres that only last 5 min, im just going to put some cheap tyres on till i sort some new wheels, 452's and zero grip for the time being, when i go over to wider rears i have some other options.

Just been quoted £315 each for the Cups fitted by WIM, cheaper than the R888's but still silly money.

Don't forget that the Cups only have 4.5mm profile when new.

With your power, that wil be gone very fast.

Plus they are very hard to drive in rain - haven't tried that, but that's the result from tests in serveral german car magazines.

If I wanted decent gripping tyres I would go for P zero nero's again. Yup they rub out real fast but the wet performance was incredible and the dry performance insane on a very heavy aristo. OK they lasted me one track session but lets be realistic you don't want TC, you want a relatively heavy car and you want grip to put down all that power you've paid a shitload for. How much do you think you'll get tyres for?

So the part worn Cups have just turned up. They feel pretty light.

Have to ask, they feel (to the touch) harder than the R888s. Is that because they're been used (not that my used R888s have gone hard they still feel soft).

I'm going to have them wacked on anyway to see how they compare,

but at £500 a set on the rear the Dunlops are looking a better deal at the mo

I've been mulling over these part worn Cups and I ain't putting them on, not happy with the wear TBH. I think buying 2nd hand tyres was a mistake.

Still not convinced the Cups can put down the power that the R888s can handle so well, I know Chris says the harder compound Cups are great for bigger cars, but my gut tells me I need a tyre as close to the R888s as possible.

So guys would you say the Dunlops D03G/Yoko A048 are the closest comparable tyres to the R888s?

I rate the dunlops highly for a supra after being out on track in a bpu with these on they hook just like the 888s but dont go off as quickly, although cup sports are the shit whether you want to believe it or not :D

I'm not up on the lingo, shit = good or bad?