The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888 price gone mad?

JamieP

Wont be for a while yet mate, i measured them up and there is no way they are going on a 10" wheel, Need an 11" wheel for 315's

No probs, so you think me buying them would be a mistake? I'm looking at getting my new set in the next 2 weeks, just can't decide, I know Chris says it should be an easy decision, but I'm going round in circles here :D (black circles :D)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs, so you think me buying them would be a mistake? I'm looking at getting my new set in the next 2 weeks, just can't decide, I know Chris says it should be an easy decision, but I'm going round in circles here :D (black circles :D)

For what we want i dont think the R888's can be beaten.

Hey Luc, are your Cups defo 285/35/18?

My 888's don't even get me traction in 2nd

Jamie, hope you don't mind me sitting tight until you review the dunlops :D

If they're crap then it's the bitter pill that is R888 :D

My cups are 265-30/19. ;)

With tire temps above 40°C, second gear is fine. It puts some black marks on the tarmac, but no big wheelspin.

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

Hell they can't be that bad, what's Kens RWHP, 1000+ or something?

The power delivery of big twins is very smooth, nothing like a big single, Lee gets great traction with his car and has more power than me, im sure he has the same setup as Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

Right I ordered some Dunlop Direzza D03Gs and they came today, so I got them wacked on. They were 295/30/18 (opposed to my 285/30/18 R888s). Weight wise there was nothing in it.

They feel a lot softer than the PS Cups, I'd say they were as close as 888's as you can get but maybe a touch harder.

I'm still srubbing them off, and finding my feet with them, but initial feeling is they are as good as the R888's. Straight line pulls in 2nd gear have the RLTC cutting in on both tyres. 3rd gear, both tyres can put the power down.

I will reserve my final judgement for a bit till I have some more miles on them, but my gut instinct is telling me they are a bloody good alternative to R888s and now they come in at £500 (as opposed to the £700 for R888's) I think a lot of Toyo's fans may jump ship.

I will get some on car pics when the sun goes down, it's far too harsh at the mo to get decent ones

attachment.php?attachmentid=113082&stc=1&d=1278087826

attachment.php?attachmentid=113083&stc=1&d=1278087826

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

I've been out again to get some petrol, my mate was stood outside the club & flagged me down for a ride as he loves the car :D

I'm really loving these, if I didn't know better I would swear the car was on 888s, it feels sooo similar I feel at home on them straight away, hard pulls in 2nd to get the lit up with the RLTC cutting in & the back end squirming yet staying in a straight line feels exactly like the 888s did

Did a couple of *cough* high speed runs, top of 4th & 5th, GPS came out exactly the same as Darrlys spreadsheet, car felt perfectly stable.

I'm not sure if they're going to be upto your 850 bud, but I don't think they'll be any worse than the equivalent 888, I love em already, then again with this car I'd love any tyre :D

Right I ordered some Dunlop Direzza D03Gs and they came today, so I got them wacked on. They were 295/30/18 (opposed to my 285/30/18 R888s). Weight wise there was nothing in it.

They feel a lot softer than the PS Cups, I'd say they were as close as 888's as you can get but maybe a touch harder.

I'm still srubbing them off, and finding my feet with them, but initial feeling is they are as good as the R888's. Straight line pulls in 2nd gear have the RLTC cutting in on both tyres. 3rd gear, both tyres can put the power down.

I will reserve my final judgement for a bit till I have some more miles on them, but my gut instinct is telling me they are a bloody good alternative to R888s and now they come in at £500 (as opposed to the £700 for R888's) I think a lot of Toyo's fans may jump ship.

I will get some on car pics when the sun goes down, it's far too harsh at the mo to get decent ones

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=113082&stc=1&d=1278087826

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=113083&stc=1&d=1278087826

Where did you get them from bud??

• 2 weeks later...
How you getting on with them Jay? good as the R888?

Anyone tried the Kumho V70 track tyres? in 335's they are a pretty good price.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b0s696p0

TBH bud I can't tell the difference between these & R888's, they feel identical, maybe after prolonged track use they might be even better than 888's, but for my current usage which is cruising around and then a couple of mad blasts they are identical. They spin in 2nd (which the 888's did), & hook in 3rd (which the 888's did), they feel as good through corners and when getting out of shape feel as safe as the 888's

Have a friend who use's the soft's on his hillclimb Scoobie...grips amazing but they dont last 5 min's:D

The larger 18"'s don't get the option of soft compound, only hard, which is very comparable to the 888's. I can't imagine what the 15" caterham's go like with the soft compounds on

The larger 18"'s don't get the option of soft compound, only hard, which is very comparable to the 888's. I can't imagine what the 15" caterham's go like with the soft compounds on

Yeh, sorry i was looking 305's for mine:d you have all 4 compound options on that size...

Do 305's fit on a 10' rim?

Cheers guys, the 335's come in medium and hard, i think these will be good on my car and wont break the bank.

Yeh, sorry i was looking 305's for mine:d you have all 4 compound options on that size...

Do 305's fit on a 10' rim?

Booooooooo, I want mediums too :D

Nah 295 is max on a 10" rim, the fitters won't be able to squash the tyre on. I'm going to look into the banding Jamie was, with coilovers I got a load of room on the inside for another inch

• 8 months later...