The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888 price gone mad?

JamieP

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the reason I went for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups Jamie.

I wanted some R888, got a price mid of 2009 for a full set (a little less than 1000 EUR).

When I wanted to order early this year (after winter), the price was 1500+ EUR.

Jamie, if you are thinking about trying one of the other road legal track tyre options available just a little heads up.

Chris Wilson dislikes the R888's because of there lack of ability on the track. He recommends some of the others, namley the Pirrelli because they are a far more track biased type of tyre.

However these tyres only work properly and deliver their claimed performance with the right heat and correct geometry, namely very aggressive camber, even more than stock adjustment. Not enough of either and you may discover you now own a very unruly car in the corners. So bear that in mind when choosing your next set.

Chris wilson dont drive a 850bhp supra on the street, R888 was always a good option for me because they was cheap and grip is amazing compared to any other road tyre i have tried, pilot cups will be fortune i think and the way my car gets through tyres will be an expensive option.

452's are a budget tyre and grip like a budget tyre, i had them on over the winter and even with the old spec at about 700bhp grip was terrible.

Trying to find if Mickey thompson do a radial et street in my size, if not i might import a few sets of nito 555's from summit.

850 real BHP is always going to be traction limited in a 2 WD car. I have 500 BHP , 14 inch wide rims, and softish slicks on my F3000, with PLENTY of downforce, but it's still traction limited in the dry and quite frightening on the wet. I think you should be getting a 4 WD car now you are into those sorts of power figures :) Maybe a really good traction control set up would be cost effective? Smoking up big tyres is expensive.

Had a set of A048`s fitted in March 2009, Heat cycled them at Silverstone in May and decided to try them out at Cadwell in June.

First time I turned into Charlies, the steering felt MUCH heavier than before, I immediately commented on it to my passenger. Over the next few laps, once they warmed up, I could feel the sidewallls were much harder. The car usually has a strange `bounce` when cornering under load, its the tyre wall flexing and I can always feel it. I`m used to it and its not a problem, but the A048`s don`t do that and it makes the turn in feel much sharper, but required more steering effort.

The A048`s didn`t overheat and grip wise seemed as good as the 888`s.

From first impressions, if they cost the same as 888`s, I`d got for the Yokohamas.

I also tried a part worn set of the DZ02`s. I`d put them somewhere between the 888`s and A048`s. Definately can feel the sidewall flexing, more than the A048`s but not as much as the 888`s.

Grip wise they seemed good, but these have had a few more heat cycles than the others and didn`t seem quite as progressive, once the grip started to go, it fell off much quicker than the other 2, however, I only did a couple of dry sessions with them, I need to do more laps to really get a feel for them and get them fully warmed up.

like most things, these views are subjective so what I prefer, on my car with my driving style may be totally unsuitable for you.

I also tried out a set of Kumho V70`s . I`d bought a used set that had been heat cycled several times, in 205/50/15. Hard compound.

My initial thoughts (these may be partly due to the tyres been old and cycled several times.)

They take longer to warm up than the 888`s, Direzzas or A048`s.

The squeal more than the 888`s, Direzzas or A048`s

The grip feels to be slightly less, but the GPS traces don`t really back this up. Perhaps I`m driving them the same as the others, but using more of the available grip ?

The 205/50 work well after some minor arch tweaking.

They are wearing FAR FAR better than any other `R` tyre I`ve used before.

Sidewalls seem to be somewhere between the 888`s and the A048`s. Probably not quite as stiff as the A048`s, but close.

I am definately buying a set of these for my next track tyres instead of 888`s or A048`s. They are what I was hoping the A048`s would be, similar grip to the Toyo`s but longer life, I find the A048`s better than the Toyos, but the life is dissapointing.

Yokohama A-048 in 295/30/18

Kumho V70 (various compounds)

Note: This is not my own personal experience Jamie, just found someone elses reviews of all of those against each other, just trying to help :)

R888's get my vote, when I used them they seemed the perfect supra choice for grip on a big single. Got off the line better than my BFG drag radials too!.

Setting my blitz SBC ID's gain to have the turbo come on softer and using the speed map meant grip galore.

Stick with your R888's if you can get them at a decent price Jamie.

Do we have a single turbo tyre thread, with the most common tyres, and best places to get them (all in one thread?)

If we don't then we should have one.

I'm finding that my Eagle F1s are simply not up to it for 1.4+bar abuse...that's on 18's with 275/35 and 245/40 on hot days with warm roads and tyres.

I'm currently looking into the Kumho and Nitto option for a true summer tyre. I found some good info in this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/looks-like-my-yokohama-a048-need-replaced-37000/

I did get caught in a torrential downpour on the motorway at the weekend and was very happy to be on the F1s and happily able to drive through miles and miles of standing water. I think I'd have been forced to pull over and wait it out on R888 or even the like of the Yoko A032R/A048R which I've used elsewhere in the past.

If we don't then we should have one.

I'm finding that my Eagle F1s are simply not up to it for 1.4+bar abuse...that's on 18's with 275/35 and 245/40 on hot days with warm roads and tyres.

I'm currently looking into the Kumho and Nitto option for a true summer tyre. I found some good info in this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/looks-like-my-yokohama-a048-need-replaced-37000/

I did get caught in a torrential downpour on the motorway at the weekend and was very happy to be on the F1s and happily able to drive through miles and miles of standing water. I think I'd have been forced to pull over and wait it out on R888 or even the like of the Yoko A032R/A048R which I've used elsewhere in the past.

I found the R888's fine in heavy rain, not sure how they would cope with a large amount of standing water at speed though, running normal road tyres on the front helps.

Will you post up what you end up going with as I'd be interested as you say even £279 is a bitter pill compared to £170 as the R888s were

My plan is to change to 11.5" or 12" wheels and run ET street 2's 315/30/18

The ET streets Dont come in a size that fits my rear advans.