The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T making things simple?

JamieP

everyone slates na-t in the uk

Controversially, thats usually because by the time its done well enough to last you may as well have sold your NA and bought a stock TT. At worst NA-TT conversion would work out around the same and provide flexibility to go as far as you want.

Obviously there are exceptions to that rule. There are only a few well built NA-T's on here that didnt cost more than it would have to go NA-TT, and thats when the owner has done all the work, including any fabrication themselves.

All imo of course :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You got me all wrong, its not just about me, just throwing some ideas about, maybe somebody else would fancy building one, ive never heard anyone mention doing a internal watsegate setup before, most na-t's are built with huge chocolate turbos and get a bad rep for that reason, im just talking about keeping it simple on a small budget.

yeah i do hear you jamie i mean honestly jokes aside for a minute.

personally why go NA-T like the way your saying when the tt is more powerful, tonnes more reliable, stronger built and less headache.

i do admire the approach though because like you said they have been slated because monkeys have done them so it would be an interesting result.

cost wise NA £3000 + £1500 = £4500 for a single sup at say 320hp

TT £8000 sup - 420hp

you could save £2500 going NA-T so its actually a smart idea.........

hmmmmmmmmmmm........... Jamies got me thinking now.

It would be a good idea.

Just out of interest , I know alot of yanks have NA-T's, but what are the prices would you be looking at to buy a TT engine out there?

From what I hear , the supra's out there are still going for alot of money, so surely the TT engine is also, so thats probably why they have so many NA-T's due to the conversion cost to NA-T costs?

All of the above may be wrong though! :D

cost wise NA £3000 + £1500 = £4500 for a single sup at say 320hp

Turbo kit, injectors, ECU/harnesses/sensors + mapping, clutch, boost gauge, boost controller, plugs, oil, fabrication, installation, etc, etc.... is going to cost a lot more than £1500.

Something tells me you didn't quite grasp the tone of his "I give up". :)

Indeed, and that's a shame as this could have been a good discussion.

It's not a case of the NA-T being slated on here, it's just not commonly done for some VERY good reasons.

Provided those considering it know the (sometimes severe) limitations and potential costs involved it there is nothing wrong at all with the NA-T route. It's just not a 'cheap' way to turbocharge a car, but is a cheap way to get to a (compartively restricted) single turbo, with all the wooshing/stuttering noises it makes ;)

Indeed, and that's a shame as this could have been a good discussion.

It's not a case of the NA-T being slated on here, it's just not commonly done for some VERY good reasons.

Provided those considering it know the (sometimes severe) limitations and potential costs involved it there is nothing wrong at all with the NA-T route. It's just not a 'cheap' way to turbocharge a car, but is a cheap way to get to a (compartively restricted) single turbo, with all the wooshing/stuttering noises it makes ;)

darryl you have always said to me that if your going to modify dont do it at all unless you do it properly. you go cheap and cut corners your asking for trouble.wouldnt the best route up from a na be a tt conversion rather than an NA-T. one thing i have learnt first hand is when you mess with what the toyota boffins have given you, your bound to have a problem or two.

darryl you have always said to me that if your going to modify dont do it at all unless you do it properly. you go cheap and cut corners your asking for trouble.wouldnt the best route up from a na be a tt conversion rather than an NA-T. one thing i have learnt first hand is when you mess with what the toyota boffins have given you, your bound to have a problem or two.

I'm sorry, but you completely missed the point of this thread. Jamie was asking "what if" rather than following the norm. If we never question and blindly follow what others have said then we will never know if things can or cannot be done.

im with you on this jamie, be something different im thinking and planning my na-t project, can definately be done on a resonably budget. i would seriously think about this jamie prove a few people wrong- you proved people wrong with your single supra on stock internals and getting some outstanding results. be a good challenge for you

im with you on this jamie, be something different im thinking and planning my na-t project, can definately be done on a resonably budget. i would seriously think about this jamie prove a few people wrong- you proved people wrong with your single supra on stock internals and getting some outstanding results. be a good challenge for you

It must be awfully dark up there :innocent: