The mkiv Supra Owners Club

600 BHP - Which is quicker, Single or Twin?

suprastu

Guest KenHenderson
I've been watching this thread with interest from the start simply to try and gain knowledge :D, however I felt I had to comment when Ken busted out them pics.....O...M...G. Both cars are stunners, absolutely brilliant, you clearly have an eye for good taste modifying :thumbs:

I think you should post them up in the multimedia section though for everyone to see. I doubt a lot of members on here will still be reading this thread, and it'd be a shame for them to miss out :D

pistonbroke, thanks again. Sorry, but where might I find this multimedia section? I have searched but cannot seem to find it.

suprastu,

My apologies. I did not intend to hijack your thread. I'm usually very good about staying on topic. I guess the very warm welcome got me going...

Ken.

suprastu, I do intend to post up my cars in the multimedia section once I find it, LOL. At that point, I'll post a link and we can discuss whatever is on someone's mind without fear of further jacking your thread.

Quick question Ken (apologies again guys for the hijack).

How did you get to keep the TRD strut brace and standard fan shroud with the Do-Luck bonnet? I have the same bonnet (a genuine on, not a copy) as well as the TRD strut brace, and I ended up removing the strut brace and cutting the shroud to stop from cutting the bonnet.

Mark,

I purchased my Do-Luck kit in December 2002 and had it installed during the first 10-months of 2003. I never had any issues with the fan shroud but the bonnet did contact my TRD tower brace. Because I had the car resprayed in its entirety when the Do-Luck bonnet was installed (including removing all glass and the motor), I had SP Engineering lower the motor by 2 mm during installation. The 2 mm wasn't science. It was the amount we could lower the motor without having to re-do my piping and not create other issues for ourselves.

I mention when I purchased my kit because I am aware that others have encountered significant issues when attempting to install their Do-Luck bonnets. I believe, but do not know for sure, that Do-Luck-Japan may have changed suppliers and this could be the issue. It appears that the quality remains the same, but you only have to be off by a few millimeters to make fitment of the hood extremely difficult if not undoable.

The JZA80 Late Model rear spoiler I have came standard with a very nicely finished aluminum bracket that does a very good job of keeping the dual elements in place and not rattling against one another at very high rates of speed. A local Supra owner who has attempted to replicate the look of my car in certain respects purchased the same wing. The aluminum bracket is no longer and in its place is a considerably less sturdy fiberglass version that is covered in carbon fiber film. I am told that this was a cost cutting measure on the part of Do-Luck-Japan. I suspect a less expensive supplier could have caused problems with the newer bonnets but there is no way to know for sure. Having said all this, I have seen up close and personal several Do-Luck rear spoilers of the type that Chingy has on his car and they have all been of the highest quality. Go figure. Hope this helps.

Ken.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

I purchased my Do-Luck kit in December 2002 and had it installed during the first 10-months of 2003. I never had any issues with the fan shroud but the bonnet did contact my TRD tower brace. Because I had the car resprayed in its entirety when the Do-Luck bonnet was installed (including removing all glass and the motor), I had SP Engineering lower the motor by 2 mm during installation. The 2 mm wasn't science. It was the amount we could lower the motor without having to re-do my piping and not create other issues for ourselves.

I mention when I purchased my kit because I am aware that others have encountered significant issues when attempting to install their Do-Luck bonnets. I believe, but do not know for sure, that Do-Luck-Japan may have changed suppliers and this could be the issue. It appears that the quality remains the same, but you only have to be off by a few millimeters to make fitment of the hood extremely difficult if not undoable.

The JZA80 Late Model rear spoiler I have came standard with a very nicely finished aluminum bracket that does a very good job of keeping the dual elements in place and not rattling against one another at very high rates of speed. A local Supra owner who has attempted to replicate the look of my car in certain respects purchased the same wing. The aluminum bracket is no longer and in its place is a considerably less sturdy fiberglass version that is covered in carbon fiber film. I am told that this was a cost cutting measure on the part of Do-Luck-Japan. I suspect a less expensive supplier could have caused problems with the newer bonnets but there is no way to know for sure. Having said all this, I have seen up close and personal several Do-Luck rear spoilers of the type that Chingy has on his car and they have all been of the highest quality. Go figure. Hope this helps.

Ken.

Hmmmm, interesting. I don't suppose you could post a pic of the underside of the inside of your bonnet in the multimedia section I linked above (and below just in case) please Ken? That way I can keep chatter off this thread. Thanks :thumbs:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Guest KenHenderson
I believe it's a members only area. :)

This is true. I do not have "permission to access" so I will have to find another way. I am increasingly uncomfortable taking this thread further off topic and do not want to appear to be taking advantage of my warm welcome.

Ken.

This is true. I do not have "permission to access" so I will have to find another way. I am increasingly uncomfortable taking this thread further off topic and do not want to appear to be taking advantage of my warm welcome.

Ken.

I can see someone will end up paying your membership fee Ken :)

Most interesting thread i have read for a while, unfortunately all the pics are blocked by websense (god bless coporate security software)

So what i have come out of this with is there will be forever 2 camps of preference (no jokes). However has anyone acheived a big power set up with sequentials as i have been led to belive that a big twin sequential set up was problematic?

Besides that i'll wait till someone perfects an axial flow turbo and another debate rages

Guest KenHenderson
I can see someone will end up paying your membership fee Ken :)

Hah! Didn't realize there was a fee involved. How much and who do I pay?

Ken.

• 3 months later...
Guest obsessive88

wow after reading this post my dream of a shinny twin set up may have changed. I think the billet version single set up mya be the way. oh by the way im stuffing it in the body of a Chrysler Conquest. :)

Here's a school boy question for you. now im no mechanic so forgive me and also have an N/a so have no idea about turbos but im reading that you can get more power from a single turbo than from twins. I always presumed that having two would be more powerful as there is "twice" the boost at higher revs? i presume i have this all wrong. Or is it that single turbo's are bigger??? I apologise again for the thick questions but could someone please explain? :looney:

Here's a school boy question for you. now im no mechanic so forgive me and also have an N/a so have no idea about turbos but im reading that you can get more power from a single turbo than from twins. I always presumed that having two would be more powerful as there is "twice" the boost at higher revs? i presume i have this all wrong. Or is it that single turbo's are bigger??? I apologise again for the thick questions but could someone please explain? :looney:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0103tur_single_vs_twin_turbo_supra/index.html

It's all about air density, turbo efficiency and inertia. A pair of turbos, properly sized, on a straight six, properly manifolded should spool faster than a single with similar air flow capabilities. Garrett has some good info on turbine sizing and maps at:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech101.html

Exactly :) The is what makes the blitz car very interesting as it has a custom made twin turbo kit which will flow around 600hp.