The mkiv Supra Owners Club

600 BHP - Which is quicker, Single or Twin?

suprastu

The 'Compound' twin turbo kit that Boostlogic has produced has to be the best spooling setup, with full boost by 3000RPM, and will produce upto around 800hp (American HP, so probably more like 600hp) A little complicated compared to a single, and they don't even know if it will work on RHD cars yet.

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=160

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The HKS Twin kits are based on quite old Turbo's now, and there are better, faster spooling turbo's out there (those new billet ones for example).

The new billet wheel turbos do seem to be getting good reviews but I wouldnt say the HKS twins are old turbos at all.

They are BB units and considering they only have 3 runners feeding each turbo spool fairly well. I have seen info that might suggest they are DBB and going by how long they spin after shut down that may be true.

The advantage of twins over single is traction but as others have said they are very expensive and hard to maintain so the single route is normaly the way to go.

Can i ask what you mean by 'Quickest'?

Straight line over a 1/4 mile?

1, 2, 3 or more miles?

Around corners, say track racing?

I was also thinking, you have the choice what boost level to run at as a daily drive

Some people say they only run around on their max boost setting, but how many do? :innocent:

Myself when i'm out playing normally drive on low boost setting waiting for something to test against, then the boost gets turned up :eyebrows:

Is this normal? :D

Big power twins are old and out of date imo, for a lot of reasons single setups are far better imo.

Some people say they only run around on their max boost setting, but how many do? :innocent:

I do, i only have the one setting, tbh i dont see the point of a low boost setting, if i dont want to go as fast i dont put my foot down, this rarely happens by the way:D

I do, i only have the one setting, tbh i dont see the point of a low boost setting, if i dont want to go as fast i dont put my foot down, this rarely happens by the way:D

:rlol:

I guessed this would get you on the thread :D

Even you save the max 2bar boost setting for the 1/4 mile on race fuel, don't you?

You are an exception were hard driving is involved ;)

The off the shelf HKS twin setup will produce 800+ hp

The larger HKS GT3240 twins will produce 1000+ hp

I think thats what ken hendersons supra in the states uses and its suposed to be a daily driver with over 1000bhp!!

Anyway its twin turbo supras we have (sorry na owners) not turbo supra:p

Edited by Stephen G (see edit history)

Correctly specified and manifolded twins will spool faster than a correctly specified and manifolded single turbo. It's the extra cost, complication and work if twins that makes most people opt for a single turbo installation. A single should be quite a lot lighter, too, but technically twins are superior. It is impossible to reach those sorts of BHP figures using the stock turbine housings, even if someone modifies them, they are just physically too small. You'd probably be looking at a none sequential twin set up, unless you were into a lot of development work, both mechanically and ECU control wise.

Guest carmsbody
:blink: I thought that twins were difficult to work on. That looks like it would be a nightmare!

Want to change spark plugs? Oh yeah, you'll just have to dis-entangle the sphagetti that is the inlet pipework!

no different that changing plugs in an na

Not that old no, but there are better turbo's available now, which is what I was getting at.

They make your tyres stickier or something do they?

Oh dear, you have never been in a car with big twins have you.

The power band is much more linear than a single. My car at 700hp only spins the wheels a tiny bit in first and second then grips solid in every gear after that. No wheels spin at all in a straight line.

I can also hold the power on nicely in corners with the throttle, without the back end stepping.

With a stroked engine the twins make an awsome track car, as already proven in Japan.

No point in having loads of power if you cant get it to the road, this is where the twins are good.

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

Oh dear, you have never been in a car with big twins have you.

The power band is much more linear than a single. My car at 700hp only spins the wheels a tiny bit in first and second then grips solid in every gear after that. No wheels spin at all in a straight line.

I can also hold the power on nicely in corners with the throttle, without the back end stepping.

With a stroked engine the twins make an awsome track car, as already proven in Japan.

No point in having loads of power if you cant get it to the road, this is where the twins are good.

Hmm. Obviously the twins don't affect mechanical or aerodynamic grip at all, so the only way it could even slightly affect grip is by how much power is fed to the wheels and how quickly. To avoid unsticking the tyres you have to gently introduce the power. Feeding power to the rear wheels slowly is also known as "boost lag". A "linear power band" is generated when the turbos take a long time to spin up to boost, also know as lag. Not spinning the wheels in 1st and 2nd is, well, because the turbos never really get on song. Because there isn't enough load to get them spun up. Also known as, mmm, lag. See where I'm going with this?

I'm willing to see a nice dyno chart and hear arguments to say otherwise though :)

-Ian

Hmm. Obviously the twins don't affect mechanical or aerodynamic grip at all, so the only way it could even slightly affect grip is by how much power is fed to the wheels and how quickly. To avoid unsticking the tyres you have to gently introduce the power. Feeding power to the rear wheels slowly is also known as "boost lag". A "linear power band" is generated when the turbos take a long time to spin up to boost, also know as lag. Not spinning the wheels in 1st and 2nd is, well, because the turbos never really get on song. Because there isn't enough load to get them spun up. Also known as, mmm, lag. See where I'm going with this?

I'm willing to see a nice dyno chart and hear arguments to say otherwise though :)

-Ian

So what you're saying is, it depends on turbo lag?