The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single wiper conversion

Guest blueangel

I think it can be done without to much trouble (even if it looks daft and doesn't clear the screen effectively;)) Keep the passenger side wiper arm and remove the nut holding it on and clock it so its sweep goes right across the screen. It's rest point will be up on the passenger side of the screen somewhere, you'll have to adjust the postion of the microswitch in the wiper motor to get it to sit flat, whether you can do that without changing its sweep (or even at all) I don't know as I'm only hypothesizing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a low profile twin wiper kit that pivots from the bottom corner of each side of the windscreen?

My work Zafira does this and it's a very compact setup that looks tidy while being parked but also has the benefit of allowing me to see where I'm going when it rains.

I have always thought the wipers sit too high at rest on the Supra and look untidy. It's a shame they weren't made to sit further under the bonnet, or have the bonnet come further up over them to hind them away. I might just get the bonnet extender now I know such a thing exists.

Also shame about the rear too. It too looks messy but I can't think of a way of hiding that when at rest. Could just take it off I suppose. Anyway done that and have pictures of what it looks like?

Guest blueangel
What about a low profile twin wiper kit that pivots from the bottom corner of each side of the windscreen?

My work Zafira does this and it's a very compact setup that looks tidy while being parked but also has the benefit of allowing me to see where I'm going when it rains.

i like this idea will look into this too cheers michael;)

:wacko: Quick 101: Practicality.

I have a purpose for my car, i want it to look good and if going fast, i want it to be in a straight line. I wouldn't want to test it on a track because i don't want to come off and waste it. It serves it's purpose just fine, i do not want to track it.

Get it right at least!!!!!

101 Practicality for you!!!!!!!

Intended to serve a purpose without "Elaboration"

101 elaboration

•amplification: addition of extra material or illustration or clarifying detail; "a few remarks added in amplification and defense"; "an ...

•refinement: the result of improving something; "he described a refinement of this technique"

So, your purpose is wrong as you have elaborated to it making it un-practical:Pling:

Get it right at least!!!!!

101 Practicality for you!!!!!!!

Intended to serve a purpose without "Elaboration"

101 elaboration

•amplification: addition of extra material or illustration or clarifying detail; "a few remarks added in amplification and defense"; "an ...

•refinement: the result of improving something; "he described a refinement of this technique"

So, your purpose is wrong as you have elaborated to it making it un-practical:Pling:

Oh dear, because i do not want to track a bloody car does not make it impractical. Your supra doesn't fit 6 people in it comfortably, but is it impractical, no because it is not designed to be a people carrier.

Last time; Windscreen wipers have a purpose.. fitted something that means it can't do its job properly is impractical.

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

This is the longest thread I've read in ages......nice to see everyone getting along so well!

I don't see why a single wiper system cannot be made to work if the whole cowl area is being replaced as well.

A single wipe centred in the middle with a simple rotary action wouldn't work at all well but a full linkage system sweeping up and across the screen should cover it. Big job.

Personally I'd have no desire to see a single wiper conversion but if such a conversion worked well and hid the wiper(s) nicely out of site and looked neater and more modern than the existing setup then I think that would be a pretty good mod.

For me the effort vs. reward balance is swinging way too far on the effort side though.

Good luck with it.

I have always thought the wipers sit too high at rest on the Supra and look untidy

A single wipe centred in the middle with a simple rotary action wouldn't work at all well but a full linkage system sweeping up and across the screen should cover it. Big job.

fully agree with the comments here and although i was a bit sceptical when i saw this thread i did look at the whole wiper area when i was re-spraying mine and ditching stuff like rear wipers but decided against any front wiper mods as i had enough to do , yes the wipers and the plastic insert look naff and show the true age of the car but as dandan says anything in that area would be a lot of work to make look good, personally i love rumaging and smashing stuff up in scrap yards :D so if i were you i would go and find an old merc, buy all the mechanism cheap and then look whether it could be adapted, then fit a carbon insert to replace the 80's style ribbed plastic affair ;)

Ric, I was out working on the car earlier and this thread came to mind, que a bit of string and some chalk :D

Bascially, the lenght of the wiper is sufficient to reach the top of the screen and the outer edges if it's angled (Like a mirror image of 'L'). however it is a very long way from clearing the view from the drivers seat, about 40% of the view is not in range of the wiper. It'd certainly need some sort of mecahism to make the wiper arm move out further when it's around 45 and 135 degrees rotation, otherwise you won't be able to see where you're going.

The downside of this is that the wiper would sit much higher and more pronouced than the stock one, it'd also be pretty huge, about 30% longer than the stock one. In my minds eye it looked pretty unsightly.

• 1 year later...
Guest duncan304

Storm wipers at The Cottage, Evesham Road, Sneachill, Worcester, WR7 4QS 01905 345211 are the people to contact they have just made and fitted a single wiper kit to my Supra and it looks great. It clears all the window as good as double wipers. Ignore all of the silly comments made in the past and get in touch with them. Nick and Tom are a great couple of guys and for 75 quid all in you get the chav look !! just like all of the BTCC racing cars. !!

Storm wipers at The Cottage, Evesham Road, Sneachill, Worcester, WR7 4QS 01905 345211 are the people to contact they have just made and fitted a single wiper kit to my Supra and it looks great. It clears all the window as good as double wipers. Ignore all of the silly comments made in the past and get in touch with them. Nick and Tom are a great couple of guys and for 75 quid all in you get the chav look !! just like all of the BTCC racing cars. !!

Would be very interested to see a picture of this.

yeah me too although due to the amount ive had to do lately i havent made any progress on this at all lol

I didnt see this thread first time round, and having a quick read through it was a little surprised at some of the comments you received.

I for one like what you have had the balls to do with your car, good on you. Few years back the wiper mech kept falling to peices on an old Vauxhall van I had, think it was either a Corsa or it may have even been a Nova...God time flys by. Anyhow, the main dealer wanted an arm and leg for new mech parts and all the ones in scrap yards were pretty much the same as mine.

So, ended up using a motor from a Fiat Uno and converted the van to single sweep, worked fine although I never did manage to get the intermittant wipe to work using the Vauxhall control circuit and ended up using a seperate button for that. But as mentioned earlier in the thread by someone else, that had a square screen so was much easier to get the required sweep.