The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single wiper conversion

Guest blueangel

Guest blueangel

Thanks guys but it does seem just lately if you dont do as everyone else does on here your frowned upon maybe im not as old as i keep feeling.

Im not writing up what the project is but the wiper is only a small part of it there are much bigger and far more drastic mods going on but i needed help on this one the others i can do.

The reason i need help is i know the standard motor is not up to the job even after hearing stories of just turning the motor 90deg to make the sweep diff i know i need a bigger more powerful motor to be able to sweep the whole screen and still have some pace.

Like i said in the earlier posts i dont want opinions on the looks of the mod just a collective brain on how to solve the problem, after all i dont like alot of the cars on here but i dont go slating the owners for them its each to their own.

So can we all grow up now and stop name calling and try solve the problem in hand if any of you are as good at this as you think you are.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blueangel

Ah so does that mean you could fashion up a new connection to get the same function.

What i was thinking the problem would be is that the arm would be travelling nearly twice the distance of the normal arm so would it still be as effective because wouldnt it make it slower clearing.Thats why i thought maybe a fster motor or play around with the speed settings if that is possible and speed it up from the normal sweep.

Apart from it being a fooking ridiculous mod for a road car, a single wiper conversion won't work on the supra unless you have a mechanism to raise the sweep of the wiper while it's pointing towards the corners and wider part of the screen. Just a single wiper without an adjusted sweep will mean you won't be able to see where you're going when it's raining or the windscreen is dirty.

The windscreen is a rectangle on these cars, not square you see on hot hatches where this "modification" is more popular.

Can't see any easy way at doing this unless you are very good at fabrication or can adapt a unit from another (like some of the merc range).

Edit - or as Chris said, but in a more matter of fact way.

stealing a unit from a merc sounds favourable at the mo so stay posted lol

Just thinking out loud, but the 190 mercs had a mechanism similar to what you'd need.

If that could be adapted I think the most difficult thing to be to get it to fit into the cowl. Unless the large plastic protector/vent thing is replaced by a custom item it could be very difficult to make it tidy.

Guest blueangel

one of the reasons i thought about it is because i think the standard supra cowling looks untidy and out of date so was thinking of making a new one, so the merc idea really could be the answer

one of the reasons i thought about it is because i think the standard supra cowling looks untidy and out of date so was thinking of making a new one, so the merc idea really could be the answer

The JDL kit has the perfect solution to that, covers part of the wipers and cowling;) have a look at my project thread.

Only taking the piss out of the single wiper idea cos its easily lumped in with LED washer jets, if you can make it work right then go ahead:) personally i think its a lot of work for little return, but maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age;)

How about buying one from an old merc 190 (it was a really good system they had) and see if you in any way can adapt that to fit?

- you probably can't but should it end up being possible, I'll buy one from you. It really was that good a system in my eyes.

Guest Rays the roof

Well I had phases of 7 colour undercar neons, an F50 bonnet scoop and flashing LEDS at the front and in engine bay and go so so much grief, but b*llox what others think.

Do your own thing in life and let others worry about themselves mate!!

Go for it.....

Ramondo

Good for it mate, it you like it then belt away :) its your car at the end of the day and i wouldnt think that a single wiper conversion would turn a supra into a chav mobile.

Surprised at some of the comments back to be honest.

Same here, Im shocked what people say on here..or am i...I do think alot of people are a nasty with there comments

Maybe people have been here on for so long there not bothered what they say to people anymore

People could of easily said its not there thing instead.

My girlfreind has joined the 350z club, everyone on there is so nice and polite with peoples ideas etc

but hey, i guess it just the way it is on here

Same here, Im shocked what people say on here..or am i...I do think alot of people are a nasty with there comments

Maybe people have been here on for so long there not bothered what they say to people anymore

People could of easily said its not there thing instead.

My girlfreind has joined the 350z club, everyone on there is so nice and polite with peoples ideas etc

but hey, i guess it just the way it is on here

The fact is that in the 90s a LOT of chavs put single wiper conversions on their cars. It was one of the most common ads in Max Power IIRC.

This club is very friendly :) you just need to learn who to listen to and how to understand different people's posting style.

The fact is that in the 90s a LOT of chavs put single wiper conversions on their cars. It was one of the most common ads in Max Power IIRC.

This club is very friendly :) you just need to learn who to listen to and how to understand different people's posting style.

all im saying is why could not someone say what you just said in the first place lol

Oh i agree people are friendly and very helpfull on this club, just some posts are a bit nasty thats all

Not the personal opinions of the grumpy fcukers on here

It's a discussion forum, always expect opinions when trying to do something 'new'. Something new or different doesn't mean it's a good idea, or even a wise or sensible one, that's why people chuck in their thoughts on it.

As an example, If someone asked for a source of budget tyre's for their 800bhp single supra, you'd expect people to say "hold on there, that's not a good idea" rather than just provide links to budget tyre companies.

Well that's the way I see it anyway!

The grumpiness is directly proportional to the number of posts. :D

F*cking isn't you *&^% :p

think some of the comments on here are pretty shameful for a owners club. just giving the guy abuse for wanting to try some thing. the older generation stil modifying cars is considered chavy and then getting b!tchy that quick is even worse

It's a discussion forum, always expect opinions when trying to do something 'new'. Something new or different doesn't mean it's a good idea, or even a wise or sensible one, that's why people chuck in their thoughts on it.

There was no discussion from members tho.

It was pure sl**ing him off and saying its chav.

Just because "chavs" have had single wipers before doesnt make it chav.

"chavs" have, big exhausts,tinted windows,alloys,air filters,after market everything they can get their hands on.

So does that mean most of us are "chavs" because we put after market products on?

And this isnt the first instance members sl*g off a fellow member for what they have on their car or thinking of putting on

think some of the comments on here are pretty shameful for a owners club. just giving the guy abuse for wanting to try some thing. the older generation stil modifying cars is considered chavy and then getting b!tchy that quick is even worse

Agree

There was no discussion from members tho.

It was pure sl**ing him off and saying its chav.

Just because "chavs" have had single wipers before doesnt make it chav.

"chavs" have, big exhausts,tinted windows,alloys,air filters,after market everything they can get their hands on.

So does that mean most of us are "chavs" because we put after market products on?

And this isnt the first instance members sl*g off a fellow member for what they have on their car or thinking of putting on

He's right to be honest..