The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my "little" drift project....

neilthenut

A busy week and a little progress to show-

So this week cage finished, and now moved on to prep- from a dirty oily shell, to a clean shiny one

Finished off the bonnet pins, well changed from pins to locking aero catches- so got them chopped into the bonnet- lovely fit

Treated myself to some in car cooling-

proper jobbies- none of this glue on the top stuff- so still need to cut a hole in the roof and attach both top and bottom sections (not pictured is the bottom section with the vents in)

As per the unit becomes a social hang out rather than a work place- but it does have some advantages-

Give them sandpaper, and they WILL rub- had 5 of us in/on/around the car sanding for a few hours, which really helped

also picked up my new exhaust - not ideal- 2.5 inch- but £40 is £40- not £400 so it will stay untill i can find/make a new one at the right cost-

Edited by neilthenut (see edit history)

So- on to a spot of paint- sadly we didn’t reach my goal of a full few coats of high build primer- but . . . we got a bit of work done

As most of the inside of the car is bare metal we are etch priming the inside 1st.

So back to Joe - cage builder and painter extraordinaire-

As it’s etch it’s not gone in a booth- just somewhere out of the way-

So 1st up was the cage- got that covered-and then the front wheel tubs

And tonight moved on and put a full coat of etch on the floor and any other bare metal-

I AM NOT A PAINTER! NEVER APINTED A THING BEFORE THIS WEEK- but as this is my car, I will be doing as much work as I can- so I primed the inside (not the cage)

Quite enjoyed it-

so it’s all tucked up now back inside my unit- dust sheet on- as it won't be touched this week

next up will be high build primer - then quick flat down and paint the cage, then the inside-

And the my bosch 044 fuel pump turned up this week too!

plactic window expected to come this week- well if he's finshed making them!

awesome build enjoying reading your progress so far. She's coming along nicely

thanks

loving this build, very nice mate

cheers

Fair play buddy, coming along nicly. :)

lol, yeah, she's getting there

great project just read from start to finish.you getting there

starting to fell like i'm getting somewhere- but an awefull long way to go yet!

thanks all- stuff like that really make me energiesd to get down there and put in the 18hr days to get it done! . . .

big shout out to Offland, magictourch, the hoff, Shonner and few other mates (mainly joe and james) they've been a big help . . .

moving on tho- i've found they guy to fab my fuel tank and swirl pot (recently did some for Andy Forrest @ AFP) - found the dash i want, and knnow what radiator/ intercooler set up i want- so trying to bang some overtime in pay for it all! not easy when you earn Peanuts! . .

Edited by neilthenut (see edit history)

Loving the progress! Very impressed that you're trying to do most of it yourself (or via mates).

lol... cheers- its my car- i will enjoy the building as much as the driving- but i've done or been involved in every part of ever stage, i seam welded it, i made the front tubbed arches, i had input/hands on every single piece of the roll cage . . . and i will be having a go at painting some panels!!!!

from start fo finish (first stage of finished ) this will be built in my workshop at weekends and evenings- . . and it will more than likely be live mapped or mapped locally when its upgraded next year to "stage 2"

am i'm already planning my next project car!!! torn between FWD or another RWD light weight monster!

• 2 weeks later...

right, after a my painter deceided he'd rather watch liverpool everton yesterday (thanks Jamie), it was left to me to get primer on the car.. .

so in a make do both (thanks Shonner)- i got to work. .

i'll honest, i've got a banging head ache today and a sore throat from the paint.. . but more importantly- car is primed! :D

having semi second thought about the colour scheme- but can't think of anything better, so on it will go.

011020111077.jpg

Cmon Liverpool:D

Hope you have cleaned my little gun, mate!!!

Don't worry i will be back on the job this week.......i heard you got more on yourself than the car??

right, after a my painter deceided he'd rather watch liverpool everton yesterday (thanks Jamie), it was left to me to get

i'll honest, i've got a banging head ache today and a sore throat from the paint.. . but more importantly- car is primed! :D

having semi second thought about the colour scheme- but can't think of anything better, so on it will go.

awesome neil! cars taking shape bud! when you hoping to have it all finished?

CHEERS, end of january- december probly wont get much done due to work being flat out, then some quite time- and will be 1s stage done (stock twins and stcok ECU)

Cmon Liverpool:D

Hope you have cleaned my little gun, mate!!!

Don't worry i will be back on the job this week.......i heard you got more on yourself than the car??

that gun clogged 5times! even after i thinned the paint down- but yeah its all clean and tidy- and yeah, my hands were well, still are covered it paint. . . not coming off...

next week off work- with 2 plans - work o this and help me mate move. . .a ratio of 5:2 days-

waitn on paint booth to paint inside of car- which may be ready this weekend or some time soon. . . then its time for out side.

plastic windows should be with me next week, been ready for a while, but not sorted them being delivered as i've been so busy.

• 2 weeks later...

PLOY windows have arrived!

hand made specially for me!

all 5 windows cam today. 4mm poly (as per rules and regs) with sliders on both drivers and passengers sides. rear quarter glass well now rear quarter plastics.. done, in th frame, with black banding- you'd never know they werent glass unless you were told! and of course rear screen- again with black band.

will drop pic's when i take some, but for now they have come home to sit safly behind the wardrobe, rather thn in the unit.

• 3 weeks later...