The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my "little" drift project....

neilthenut

started fitting the roof vent,

1st job- tape up door bars and top of cage to stop marking it

after lot of measuring- got the fram in the middle of the roof inside-

a brave moment- drillering the first 4 holes in the roof

how it will look open

done- well, just need to cut the large hole, but will odo that when i get my hole saw back

paint prep

so start wet sanding the inside of the car today. i hate sanding.. . after3ish hrs work- managed to do the boot. . going to be a long few days-

my "mini " bucket-

having to rum down the over spray from painting the cage, but its acting as a good guide coat- so no real issue

kept the kettle busy- new bucket of hot water every 20mins- dont like cold hands...

• 2 weeks later...

right- after a stupid long long week- i got it sanded inside

so we got it in, put up a sheet -

cleaned it.

saturday we primed it, and then sunday- we painted the inside.

to say it didn't go well was an understatement

the last coat reacted with the ones already on- so it ran badly- and the high gloss finish was well- flat. no shine.

so will be repreped this week and re shot next wkd.

She's getting there. Looking good too.

ta.... feels funny, stand there and think its miles off- i;m never gonna finsh it-

then i stop and think- its not, quick splash of paint- soon as its painted can have it mechcanialy built- pain underneath, engine gearbox prop rear sub frame on in a day- dash in- start running brake/fuel lines-

but then back to the 1st thought- then i've got to bodywork and paint the doors, bonnet boot, both bumers and the sideskirts, and the spats- but thats only a day or two i suppose-

I wouldnt advise leaving the masking tape on the cage or too long.

slowly taking shape now

i learnt the masking tape thing the hard way when i preped my r32 4d00r for colour change paint- school boy error. but off this weekend

thanks

I just read all the way through this with a lovely brew, nice work mate, we the sub frames a pain to get off, my car is in bits and i would consider getting them powder coated, was it expensive?

to get off- na. easy. (with the engine out-) could do it with engine in, but would be a bit trickier-

there is a very very strong chance i will be selling this sub frame around may time (pressuming car has been built and run)

as i need do some mod's to it- so i'd mod the spare and sell this- fancy it?

taking shape neil :)!! ever need a hand, give us a text buddy :)

TIDY!

all week this week, all this week- 3 evenings next week, and all wkd after!

cheers

i'll put kettle on.

loving the work on this, remember seing it when you first started :)

i almost feel sad though when they are complete, i love watching them develop! :)

lots of hard work and lots and lots of time too. and money? :p

think its along way from complete- but turn into an assembly job- most of fab is done-

a shed load of hard work- and yeah- have chuncked a bit at it now- but --- hey- cant take it with me!

• 3 weeks later...