The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my "little" drift project....

neilthenut

• 4 weeks later...

bit of an update...

the cage is a bit further progressed than in earlyer posts- (but this is not recent work, just catching up)

not me- my fabricator and yes he is older tha he looks (just)

so we have moved house- well the car has, new unit- lot tidyer, cleaner

so thats taken some time up-

so at the moment its going to have the NA engine stuck in it- so just happen to have a spare NA head kicking around for a while- so i've stripped it down, (and its componet parts some to polish/paint some as spares)

and i'm going to look at doing some port matching (nothing mega) on this head- see if i can get some better flow) . . do the valve guide seals and put it to 1 side. may bob it on the car when engine is and running with no issues. . .

• 3 weeks later...

a few snap shots from the cage install, sorry for picture qualitiy, think i need to invest in a digital camera, not rely on a Nokia

all the joints have been hand formed, and cut to exact shape. no hole saw, just a marker pen, a grinder and a file... not a quick process. but resluting in a great fit.

some on the rear crosses had to be notched to meet 3 other tubes, which is no mean feet!

can see here, cage droped down as foot plate is removed, so we can weld the top joints on the cage

all the joints on the top of cage were welded while cage was droped down, for the best posible results

foot plate remove, but cage rasied back up into place

foot plates installed and started to be welded up and into car

rear strut tops

roof bars

not a comfortable place to sit...

dash fitted up

but still plenty left to do...

4 door bars, (two on each side),

make, drill, and swage the gusset plates for the A pillers, B pillers, both rear cross's and the door bars... (there all going to take time, as will be fabricating all the parts)

we are looking to go though the bulk head onto the front struts but struggling for room, (if any body knows if this is done on any other supras pleasse share with me!!)

need to weld the OEM steering collum bracket removed from the OEM dash bar onto the new one.

OEM clocks will not fit back into the dash, but i never planned on using them, hence did not make room for them.

have now got a nice pair of side skirts (sliten i belive)

pair of genuine Bomex spats (to add to the other 2 pairs i have)

already have to bomex front bumper.

i have both genuine and replica roof spoiler- not sure i'll use either but maybe.

got a set of BBS LM's kicking around, so think they'll do untill i can get some nice shiney rota's...

;)

have now got a nice pair of side skirts (sliten i belive)

pair of genuine Bomex spats (to add to the other 2 pairs i have)

already have to bomex front bumper.

i have both genuine and replica roof spoiler- not sure i'll use either but maybe.

got a set of BBS LM's kicking around, so think they'll do untill i can get some nice shiney rota's...

;) :D

manual tunnel done

fully seam welled around the pannel...

cleaned with wire brush and zink primed

started to clean welds up on the cage, just using wire brush and grinder with wire bruch on. small chissle to kock of the larger bits of splatter

right for now its gonna have a 2jz NA :(, but this will enable to me to get it running, wired up and a complete car. over the winter i see how muc £ i've got - and see what i can get . . . plus the fact i've got an NA sat there inmy donner car.. .

so whipped it out yesterday.

donner had some front end damage, so to make life easier, the front was chopped as it was unusable anyway.

while i was at it, i also whipped out the W58 . . . again not an ideal gearbox, but its here and going in- if/when engine is swapped out for higher power unit then the box will get swapped for a R154

engine dropped in..

• 2 weeks later...
right for now its gonna have a 2jz na :(, but this will enable to me to get it running, wired up and a complete car. Over the winter i see how muc £ i've got - and see what i can get . . . Plus the fact i've got an na sat there inmy donner car.. .

So whipped it out yesterday.

came to my senses- so 1jz-

so i've removed unwanted parts

air con, oil/water heat exchanger, fan. i've removed the torque converter, and fitted the my 2jz fly wheel.

made sure it 100% bolts uo to the w58

next problem is engine mounts- different heights on 1j and 2j, so swapped them over of the 2j

so next up is get my intercooler modd'd as i will run it front mount- but not how most of you huys run them- (time will show you my plans)

been on a little shopping trip, end up with a large bil from local paint shop- with everything except the top coat for the outside- as i still have no idea what colour i want the car...

and last few bits i need to finsh he shell-

and not pictures harnes eye nuts on renforced plate-