The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my "little" drift project....

neilthenut

right, having previously perchased parts of the roll cage from Peter @ Fabricage (free plug)

time to start doing something with them.

i have spent a great deal of time looking at drift and track cars. sadly i'm one of those people that see fault in nearly everything- so i my head i've alot of do's and don't's

safety is high on my list of things- so were going far beyond basic regulations. weight- i'm not too worried about- as long as its for a purpose, and safety is high on that list!

so inorder to satifacorty drop the cage down to do all final welding that is requires the cage is to sit on feet, or blocks. this is common- but trying to find a supra with a big cage in isnt. (can think of about 6 cars with a cage in)

so here what we decided

cut the space where the cage sits to out

before

after

chop chop

then renforce it

made a wooden template to get a nice snug fit- (thanks to my little bro for that)

this is all 3mm plate as per regs.

this extra metal will provide a stronger foundation for the cage than going straight on to the sill-

for the main hoop, similar idea, as the cage needs to drop to be welded. (looking at many EDC BDC and JDM alstar cars, there are some shocking cages out there. not naming names but- [sHOCK][/sHOCK] but cars with cages welded half way round- :( )

so

so the cage parts

so made tops for the feet boxes- and fitted main hoop. (made sure car was level and made amny measurements!)

tacked in main hoop, (tacked as feet will come out when cage is complete to fully weld, and feet them back in and welded up) ensure it was totally squared up- so both legs were the same lenght

then trimed front legs of cage o fit, nothced then ends and tacked in.

did 1 side and made other exactly yhr same to fit in tidy

then case of doing same for screen bar (aloght not quite in right place needs to rotate forward slightly but i'd disapered of to work by this point so - my fabricator just got in very close by himself.

thats me looking half asleep, half realy excited and very dirty! [GRIN][/GRIN]

i cant tell you how happy i am with these. they are such a good fit its unreal. the closeness to both the A and B pillers is just awesomeness

left and right-

so thats as far as we have got on the cage- as thats all the bits we have got! going to be calling round getting prices and avalability quotes next coule of days for rest of steel- (approx £8.50-£10 per meter plus VAT)

done all the measure ment, wanting another 19.85 (ish) meters-

so its all planned and drawn up- lengths will be cut to size by supplier and just a case of triming, notching and tacking them in. (wish it was as easy as it sounds)

Nice work, why change the tank? is it part of the drift rules? seems a lot of work for no gain.

as you know out on track only ever going to have 1/2- 1/4 of a tank- and drifting (even if i dont make it into competition) dont need much juice in her- so its what about 70 -80 litre tank in a supra?- lot of fuel surge..

And as i've been off work last 3months i had plenty of time on my hands! so the steel was, lets say "recycled" . . and well its a bit different . . .

the floor and sides will be alloy plated, (pop rivits and some sealant)- painted again - inside same as car- (yet unknow) and underneath same as well underneath- probly white stone chip...

nothing in rules, and to be hones would of been o much easier to leave it stock! as now i hvae to fire wall the tank from the driver- but nothing that fun is easy!

door bars.

well rules say only need 1 door bar if doors are stock (with side impact bar in still) well- i do like my comforts (dont laugh, still got the air con in my nisan 180 drift car) so i'm planing on keeping the electric windows in this ... (plus i cant afford poly carb windows, as this is still a budget project....)

but to future proff it, and to gee the max safty i can- going with twin door bars.

i'm personnly not keen on " x " normal cross door bars, dont do it for me.

thy look nicer when they've been gussetted together, but still na. sorry

i like Nascar style- but cant have them step out, (nascar door bars step out into the door (or fake doors as nascar dont have doors!) they are 2 straight bars, running front to back, with a few vertical ties in between.

what i really like is the work Nickson motorsport are doings ( See Polo's g35 skyline build thread both on here (although its not been updated for months), but on drift works it has!)

and thats what i want to run with, but the shape doesn't really lean it self to a supra- with the high sill. so thinking of straight bottom bar, and top starting high, (like normal cross x door bar) then dropping hoizontal for 6-10 inches, then back up high (same point as normal cross bar- and then having couple vertical ties to hold the two together.

have prices up all ,y steel from Dyfed steel- (its welsh, so don't worry about trying to say it) much cheaper than anywhere else, but they only sell iy in 5.5m lenghts (where mtorsport suppliers sell it by the meter-) but with i need, will fit well into 4 lengths.

where the door bars meet the front legs will also act as the meeting point for the bulkhead legs, (the bars that will run from the front leg below the A piller though the bulkhead and onto the strut tops.

not to scale, but a rought idea what will be going on! ... lot of metal in my climbing frame!

with out piss taking-

we couldn't find any fag packets, as the hoff wasn't around to drop lambert and butler all over my unit floor!

P.S.

thanks for all the nice comments, really does help when i look at my overdraft!

Edited by neilthenut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

the steel has been ordered and i am expecting it to arrive tomorrow (thursday) so by end of sunday am expecting some more progress-

to add to the project my coilovers have arrived- Megan racing, they'll do for mow- see what it skids like on them, ideally after set of HSD- but £££!

nice drift project dude , think your the chap that emailed me on ebay ref my gearbox as just noticed the name ;)

dan

thanks man... looking to make some big work on it next coming month- little skint at the mo for the box- but wanting to just get it resolved-a dn get engine box- even if it na, just to get me going for now-

Looking good mate, coming along nicely. If you need anything, just holla ;)

thanks man, will be chasing you for little set up info (but i'm way away from needing that yet) hopeing to get out and do few ODC events in this before end of year- and there's a few trick things i was gonna try i was gonna put past you and chris (suprabass) see what ya thought/ had seen/done before-

just still waiting for my cds steel to come to finish my cage!

thanks man, will be chasing you for little set up info (but i'm way away from needing that yet) hopeing to get out and do few ODC events in this before end of year- and there's a few trick things i was gonna try i was gonna put past you and chris (suprabass) see what ya thought/ had seen/done before-

just still waiting for my cds steel to come to finish my cage!

No probs man, but yeah run anything past us, I'll be interested to hear about it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Really good work Neal, iv been keeping a close eye on this build as I am building a track only drift supra,the cage looks a good fit I was wandering do you know what the fit and quality of a "custom cages" cage is like compared to the fabricage one

Thanks mark

Really good work Neal, iv been keeping a close eye on this build as I am building a track only drift supra,the cage looks a good fit I was wandering do you know what the fit and quality of a "custom cages" cage is like compared to the fabricage one

Thanks mark

i dont know. all the fitting work was carried outin my workshop, the 3 parts were just supplied by fabricage- (david reid and surpash have the basic same cage a belive)

we try'd to move the cage out as far as posible to maximis the space inside the car. the rest of the tube is now cut to lenght (25meters of the stuff) so end of week should look like somethng!

thanks

i dont know. all the fitting work was carried outin my workshop, the 3 parts were just supplied by fabricage- (david reid and surpash have the basic same cage a belive)

we try'd to move the cage out as far as posible to maximis the space inside the car. the rest of the tube is now cut to lenght (25meters of the stuff) so end of week should look like somethng!

thanks

Thanks it's just I can get the custom cage for a good price so just wandered if you new about the figment.been looking at your drawing you going for the international style door bars they really do look good.It is suprising how much you need for a good cage,keep up the good work

Thanks mark

• 2 weeks later...

right just about back on my feet end of this week, so got a few jobs done (signed off work poorly, and awaiting surgery, so little jobs trying keep me busy and from going insane)

doors- there heavy- so weight loss-

before

after

got a guy comig to pick up my stock glass and make poly windows- side and rear screen

so shouls get a complete door down to 10ish kg from 35+kg.

and as i'm running twin door bars on my cage, the crash bars has also gone from inside them!

boot lid

no 100% sure about chopping this to lighten it, as its tripled skinned at some points, and doesnt weigh alot anyway but- we'l see

for now- i've got rid of the stock spoiler holes, 5mins with a welder, they still need filler/body working just to get em totally smooth, but that will wait till car is ready for paint. also like to point out i haven't warpped the panel (as you may hear CAN happen-)

pictures is ariel hole welded. (plated welded in)

before

dashing it

as part of the on going sub project that is my rollcage (more work completed, but not enought to post about) i've got the dash bar in. this has allowed me to get

steering column and dash test fitted.

not using the stock dash bar (as the one on the cage is alot stronger and stock was in the way as we got the cage touching the A pillers) gave me a problem of mounting steering column as it bolts to stock dash bar, so half hour with le grinder, i removed the mount off the dash bar (dressing and removing the welds, rather than just carving it up), tacked them back together and bolted it back in (bolts on to bulk head for those that didnt know, (not exactly something everyone removes from there car)

now the new dash bar is in, steerign column mount sit on it, (it will be welded and plated on to it after cage it final welded) so thats all done.

so could fit the "dash" and i say dash- whats left of it

and a buddy trying it out for size

and the centre part of the dash will prolby be going, but thats dependant on the hydro hand brake position, which i wont know untill i've fitted the manual tunnel top-

• 4 weeks later...