The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my "little" drift project....

neilthenut

• 2 months later...

right people, big lack of update, but work has been made, and a small problem has bee found-

the sr20, as small as it is- it erm, doesnt fit....

there's a crossmember where the sump is- ordanaly i'd chop up the cross member- but being cast ali, and having both top and bottom arms on, not really in my budget to make a new one-

so the SR20 is not gonna be going in here!

so on the search for something that will fit- cant afford a 2jz, so eyeing up alternatives....

pic's coming soon

• 3 months later...

right- update time

after my discovery that an sr20 does not fit with out serious mods (not woth it in my opinion small gain for big work) the sr20 has been sold on. i am now looking for a 2jz again. and the 2k to pay for it and the gear box.

so pic's of sr going in, and the coming back out

that was back in july. since then its kinda been abanonded, due to work and other cars and lack of interest. but since being forced to work on a supra (thank you magictorch) thought i may as well work on mine!

so i've been collecting parts here and there, so thought i'll chuck em on.

first up, extra lock hubs. basically the steering arms have been cut and shortend to give

the original hub

the modified hub

so fitting these resulted in lock. oh yeah.

before

after

so now i roughly worked out what ride height i want the car to run at. (looking and taking rough measurements of steve and jamie's cars (chap and magictorch)

before

after

now putting the car to full lock resulted in the wheel being about 10mm from hitting the inner arch. so with a good landing or well any suspension travel, that would be a problem.

so next up- i cut the inner arches out.

so 1st job was repair the damage. (shell was bought from the hoff as a cat c)

got it all back to where toyota made it, and then chopped it out! (just to make sure strut and slam panel where in the right place)

then

wham! job done

but i'll be honest, as i'm off on the sick at the moment, i did employ a mate to help- and by employ, i mean i bought him sausage &chips. the drivers side i did alone, passenger did together. had him finish weld it all and dress it,

nice to see he was paying attention!

all the curves were hand shaped, ( i dont have fancy tools!) and for anyone worried about the cutting, i left all the double skined parts in tack, and the metal used to make the new arches is far far stronger than that was removed.

next up- as i dont have an engine, or a gear box or much money- :cry:

i've started playing around inside.

the car has been used, no joke as a nissan parts store for the last 7months. as it was a nice big space to put stuff. so emptied it out- well started

so if cast your mind (well for me its 18months but to the 1st page)

i have previously stripped everything out

but its now filthy

so as part of the build it will be having a cage fitted and some seam welding in critical points.

this is not going to be a show car by any stretch- but i do want it to look nice and clean unlike many drift/rally/track cars i've seen- so most of seam sealer is coming out.

• 4 weeks later...

ordered roll cage parts on monday- had a call this afternoon, its ready! so the roll cages (mine and Magictorch jamie's) will be with me shortly- so can start on the desgin and fab of that (adn then probly have to do magictorch's too!) ... will get pic's up soon as it drops into workshop...

• 3 weeks later...

roll cage arrived 1 week after ordering it! big shout out to Peter at fabricage- made and delivered in 1 week ! :D

just a small amount of work otherwise

so- boot floor gone- off to get one off alloy tank to sit under floor.

subframe stripped and painted. would like to add few adjustable arms at this point- but no moneys for right now. checked all the ball joints and bushes, all good- (this sub frame is from another members car, which is known to me-) so had good idea everything was good.

still need split the hubs/brakes down to clean and paint..

several hours and 1 grinder mounted wire brush later

before and after- (random suspension arm) all have has this treatment

and after 1st coat

brake pipes anf fuel pipes gone from under car- had a bit of a claen ready for painting under there soon too!

rollcage fab. i have a fabricater coming down to fully build and weld the cage first week in january- but as he's a mate, been popping down having a look, see whats what, deciding how its going in, so i can start making feet/blocks for cage.

the cage parts supplied are to BDC/ time attack regs- cage will be fully welded in.

think i'm a couple step closer to choosing a colour- well there is now a load of colours i can't paint the car now the subframe is that colour-

glass is being removed next couple of weeks before cage-

and some lovely do luck fibre glass wings on there way!

Edited by neilthenut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

bit more done.

the 6 large holes it the floor- (under the carpet with black rubber plugs in )

there gone. welded them up.

dirt big hole

cut out 6 plates, cleaned up, and magneted on-

3-4 tacks around it

fully weld it, clean up with 40 grit griding disc- (only just started in pic)

slap some prima on !

started work on the boot floor, have found some guys that that wil custom make me a fuel tank to my specs, so i can get stuck in.

so with MSA blue book, edc/bdc and time attack rules in hand- i've started..

after lots of thought, and borrow of a very expensive HKS (something) exhaust (cheers magictourch)- i cam up with this design.

fuel tank to sit on the right- and indent to clear the exhaust there is pelnty of clearance so no chance of heat problems- but it will be insulated.

the swill pot will also sit on this step. i did want to put batter on here to- but battery in a battery box is just to large for the space, so im in the process of think of where it can go.

need to get into regs see if dry cell bats nedd be in a box or not- if not then it can go there- if so- i've got an "idea"!

the overall profile sits no lower than original tank (had a little measure of MR chaps car)

have decided to no have the new floor run all the way to the back- as i do plan to use and abuse this car which WILL include trips into gravel and cones, (hopefully not armco)- but thinking ahead-

so have recesed the back in 100 from the back- doing this acutually puts the back of the frame in the same place as stock tank sits.

will just give me bit more room befor i rip the floor out going backwards into something...

woo, thanks people. . . any who wants to come "help" more than welcome! ;)

happy to repay people with rides at "drift what ya brungs", supra pod, and seen as i've just entered the Open Drift Championship- there too!

so got the boot frame all finished, and hammer right'd, (will be painted underneath same as underside of car- but not the cleanest metal to start with so good clean up, and coat of black hammer right did the job- will be welded into place tomz

as- cage has started to be fittted. althougt my philosophy of "its my car i'm doing everything" works most of the times, thought best for safty sake to bring in some help for the cage. thank fully i have a good mate who is a welder/fabricator- and has done good few cages-

so we cracked on today- got all front feet in and welded, main hoop feet tacked- (will have to come back out for final welding later. main hoop and front legs are cut to size, nothced and in.

will tack them into place tomz, this will allow us to take the measurements for the rest of the parts (as cage is not a complete kit)

i may get the steel (CDS 45mm) from either fabricage (sponsors of the BDC and where had most of cage from), Harry hockly motorsport localish rally car fabricators or gonna go direct from a steel supplier- which will be the cheapest me thinks (its all the same steel at the end of the day!)

pictures at the weekend!

:thumbs: