The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bought myself a winter project

johnd-mkiv

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a while since ive updated this the car is now fighting it all the way an im close to losing interest with it:banghead: Its now on the road with a full Mot and tax But cant get over some running problems which I think are caused by the ecu still thinking its an auto :search: heres a few pics of the car and the work gone into it.

Ive made up the door cards fitted them along with ally door handles. My dad has wired the whole car using just the bare essentials to run it an pass an mot, this has saved some weight and made it look tidy, Ive made an ally fuse box to store the relays and fuse boards, and mounted the Ecu and Emanage Blue. Made a basic dash board for switches and mounting the boost controller and speedo.

Had to make a custom scuttle pannel as the origional let water drip onto the coilpacks this one has drain spiggots in the corners

I have made up ally header tank, washer bottle, breather box. fabricated the 2.5" intercooler pipe to sit relaxed, and made brackets to hold the ally rad in place, fitted a blitz dump valve,

some pics of the car now just needs flatting and polishing and some more work on the front bumper and arches for a better fit, my mistake :innocent:

The cars almost there just tidying little bits up on it, the main prob is the cut im getting at 3-4k think my only option now will be to go standalone.

Have you tried the Aussie Soarer forums (Australian Lexus Soarer Club and Soarer Central)? Lots of manual conversions there.

(or is it a Mk3 Supra ECU?)

Searched the whole net mate, its a mkiii supra loom an ecu which seem to be like rocking horse poo, managed to get a manual ecu but thats made the car run like a bag of crap not 100% sure if this ecu is broken though as from research they are prone to fail.

the only thing i can put it down to is

The speed sensor wire is not connected (r154 box is cable driven)

the sta and nsw wires are the other possibilitys ( i have tried the splicing these into the start wire) all the ways possible and no difference

changed the plugs

new crank sensor

set up tps

changed coil packs and ignitor

new water temp sensor

I must admit to tagging onto the end of this thread but auto ecu's running manuals is something I've had to get involved with. A couple of things I had to do to remove the ecu doing ignition retards when it though a gear change was imminent was to wire 12v to the L so the ecu always thinks it's in LOW. Some ecu's get all annoyed if there are no solenoid resistances at the end of the plug. Putting suitable resistors in the plug for S1,S2 and SL usually do the trick. If the ECU was JDM and the speed signal is not present they some times use RPM as the only means to stop you exceeding 112mph. However, if you lock it into L it may ignore this as there is theoretically no chance it would do 112 in first ;). The 1UZ ecu in MKiii is mainly susceptible to IGF trigger capture circuit failure, if it's running it should be ok.

I must admit to tagging onto the end of this thread but auto ecu's running manuals is something I've had to get involved with. A couple of things I had to do to remove the ecu doing ignition retards when it though a gear change was imminent was to wire 12v to the L so the ecu always thinks it's in LOW. Some ecu's get all annoyed if there are no solenoid resistances at the end of the plug. Putting suitable resistors in the plug for S1,S2 and SL usually do the trick. If the ECU was JDM and the speed signal is not present they some times use RPM as the only means to stop you exceeding 112mph. However, if you lock it into L it may ignore this as there is theoretically no chance it would do 112 in first ;). The 1UZ ecu in MKiii is mainly susceptible to IGF trigger capture circuit failure, if it's running it should be ok.

thanks might give that a try

Would it be worth trying a Soarer auto ECU and engine loom?

I guess it would need some rewiring though, and I'm not sure if the sensors are the same on the Soarer/Supra.

its just all the work and the looms are not cheap now as every one seems to be on the 1jz wagon, think im going to try a few more things with this then jump to stand alone :(

• 1 month later...

We have progress :) bought some gauges so ive made a custom gauge pod and fitted it to the centre console.

Set my self a challenge in fabricating a fan shroud using the pattern development ive picked up really pleased with the out come

With all the running problems Ive been having now bitten the bullet an gone standalone, Ryan come down an installed a Fcon gold base mapped it then we drove it to Surrey rolling road where he worked his magic on the car :cool: The cars now producing 488hp really happy with it an fook me does it go :D need a colder grade of plugs an some bigger cams then it will be going back for more mapping :) massive thanks to Ryan for this he really know his stuff :thumbs:

next project is making up a small light weight heater for the car, im using a motorbike rad an fan an making a custom airbox and raill to blow hot air on the screan

Waiting on a dry day now to get some videos ;)

• 9 months later...