The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bought myself a winter project

johnd-mkiv

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work,I like the cage, and I know what a total PITA they are to make and weld, I vowed never to do another after my attempts at a Volvo one years ago :)

Think I have the same opinion now mate :) theres no easy way of welding it even cutting and shaping the tube was a pain as most of that had to be finnished in the car, then pulling moves from a karmasutra book to weld it :D

The touring car boys aften have the roof off to fit the cages. I looked at an Andy Rouse Toyota Corolla TC a bit ago, despite it's superb heritage the tops of the tubes up against the roof panel were unwelded. It had run several International races like that, I should have been a scrutineer, either no one noticed, or no one dared challenge it ;)

The touring car boys aften have the roof off to fit the cages. I looked at an Andy Rouse Toyota Corolla TC a bit ago, despite it's superb heritage the tops of the tubes up against the roof panel were unwelded. It had run several International races like that, I should have been a scrutineer, either no one noticed, or no one dared challenge it ;)

I forgot to mention that to behonest I would have struggled to get the tops if it wasnt for the sun roof and the rear quarter windows removed, I tried tacking the front a pillars to the two front struts then welding that outside the car but as I though it started to distort, so I had to jig and tack it back up in the car.

Can you recomend anything for the car whilst im at this stage I want to be able to use the car on track days and some drift days but dont want to be turned away or be missing something.

Fia regulations or a track car basics guid sort of thing :)

• 1 month later...

Bit more progress with this now managed to finnish the cage of, put the door braces in with a slight set in them to give more width in the car then gusset plates welded in. I have also attached the cage to the front suspension turrets and fabricated a few plates up to attach the cage to the body for more strength.

I then got hold of an M3 Evo rear axel and LSD diff, I stripped that down repainted it all fitted it with polly urathene bushes, made up a pait of adjusterble rear camber arms

The E36 had trouble with the rear subframe bolts pulling out the floor when driven hard, I rear that the M3's have stiffening plates welded in to stop this so I made some up and welded them into the floor pan

I managed to find an R154 gearbox with a 1jz bellhousing a cheap 1jz engine and a prop so I was ready to start fitting it.

after a bit of jigging and a lot of checking measuring manged to get the engine and box to sit where I wanted it to, its supprising how good a fit it is the gear lever hole lines up perfect. I messed up abit though as you can see from one of the pics above theres a lump of box section sitting on the wings i used this to guage where the bonnet would sit, I had to cut some of the bulk head to sit the engine back to give me the clearance as the steering rack was fouling the sump, after doing all this and making all the mounts i looked at the bonnet as see it has a raised section in the middle so I had no need to cut the bulk head out and sit it back but i guess it helps with spreading the weight :)

I then got hold of an M3 evo prop and had a result when I chopped the two props as the m3 prop was a perfect size to press into the supra one, I cut it 100mm long, pressed it in then welded it up, made a mount for the center bearing then fitted the lot.

Im supprised how easy its been really enjoing it too.

John, may I ask what the engine mounting "rubbers" are? I am looking for some about that size and depth for a Skyline engine where the low mount turbo fouls the stock mount. Thanks, nice project. You don't look as if you are struggling for workshop space, either ;)

They are pollyurathane engine mounts they come with the full kit I bought might be worth emailing them to see what they can supply [email protected] these come with a 10mm studding each side, not sure how much abuse they will take though.

• 2 months later...

Had a bit more time to do some more on this, started working on the arches as I got a pair of toyo r888s fron the rear wheels I started to stretch and pannel beat the rear arches out to allow for the wider off sets.

I wanted to drop the rear as much as possible so I removed the rear springs and set the rear at the hight I was after by cutting some pipe to sit where the springs were until I have decided on a coil over kit. The rear arches needed to come out 2.5 inches and the fronts just under 2 inches, I bought some fiberglass over arches after speaking with Supraloopy about fitting them I made some brackets up and riveted them to the wings then bonded them on with fiberglass resin. the same has been done for the skirts.

ebay come up with a set of front and rear bumpers that were ideal to match in the wide arches, they are the e46 m3 look but make the car look a lot more proportional when fitted. I have also fitted an aero fuel filler cap, cut the old system out made a new panel up and set the new one in.

I have started work on the engine made a stand up from scrap out the skip :) I striped the engine checked all the parts and reassembled using arp bolts. Spent a couple of days porting and polishing the head, I cut the flange off the exhaust manifold and match ported it to the head glad I did really as I had to weld up all the holes and redrill them as the whole flange was around 10mm out. The valves have all be lapped in, just need to check the shims are within tolerance now.

Got hold of a big brake kit for good money 330mm disks with ally bells, 6 pot light weight calipers, stainless lines and race pads. this whole set up weighs half of what the oem setup does.

Cant believe how much work is involved with a project like this, still enjoying it and now the evenings are lighter for longer its given me more enthusiasm to press on with it