The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bought myself a winter project

johnd-mkiv

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good project buddy, I would love to do something like this but just not that good with cars, How do you have the skills to take on such a job ? may i ask :)

Ive been a welder fabricator for the past 10 years my dads worked with cars and bikes most of his life so taught me the mechanical side of things the rest is self taught and lots of reading and picking peoples brains on forums like this :)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Had a bit of a break from this for the past few months, managed to get my self involved with a female project, now shes hit the dust its time to crack on with it and get it done, I need a car that scares me again :D

all the arches have now been bonded on along with the side skirts just need to do some more work on the bumpers to make them meet the arches and look right.

Most of the engine has been rebuilt now just need to polish up the inlet manifold and fit the new injectors then its ready. Not sure on the manifold as the turbo sits to high think im going to have to get another as I cant loose the hight if I cut and shut it.

Done some weight reduction on the doors with a 9" grinder :eyebrows: managed to loose 10kg out of each door, ill just skin the inner door with 1.5mm ally sheet, the lexan windows will be in a fixed possition with slide windows fitted.

the main task now is to get the body work prepped and painted, just need to kidnap Supraloopy now and lock him in the shed with some filler and a paint gun :D

• 5 weeks later...

Been cracking on with this now making the bumpers fit is the main job at the moment, got the rear bumper to fit somewhere near where I want it and after some thought decided to make a rear diffuser up to create some down force. Its a big job but with the extream diet the car has been on most of the weight keeps coming off its arse :D

Ive had to remove the rear spare wheel well to make this fit, to which later ill fabricate a shallow one from ally, I have cut an fabricated the diffuser to follow the contour of the rear bumper, then once painted ill be adding a couple of fins in the center.

The rear exhaust hole has been cut, I have raised it as high as possible so I can panel out either side of the diffuser.

Bought a carbon rear wing from a member on here I know not to every ones taste but this i think will also help with my traction troubles.

Managed to get my arse kicked on ebay for a set of Cobra monaco bucket seats they arrived with a couple of rips and holes :( but managed to get my mum on the case to repair them. I have fabricated a set of seat mounts with runners then sprayed them matt black.

spent ages rubbing the inlet manifold down and polishing it, just waiting for a set of sard 650 injectors to arrive then the engine is about complete :cool: my mate has told me he has a nice twin plate clutch up forsale waiting till hes pissed to strike a deal ;)

Dave has now started the nice job of prepping the bodywork to which hes not hanging about with it :thumbs: