The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant build, but your main hoop bar looks to small diamter Time attack / EDC use 54mm I believe. Fabricage can suppy you with just that main hoop if you cant bend it, I used one in my car and its a really good fit.

For the amount of effort you have put into it you should get the cage up to spec with a decent FIA spec main hoop and straight front bars (not bent plus straightners). They aren't expensive if your fitting them yourself.

Brilliant build, but your main hoop bar looks to small diamter Time attack / EDC use 54mm I believe. Fabricage can suppy you with just that main hoop if you cant bend it, I used one in my car and its a really good fit.

For the amount of effort you have put into it you should get the cage up to spec with a decent FIA spec main hoop and straight front bars (not bent plus straightners). They aren't expensive if your fitting them yourself.

Hi David

Thanks for the kind words and your advice.

The cage material used is T45 45mm with a 2.5mm wall thickness. Now having checked out all the MSA, FIA Regs and Time attack rules this is allowed.

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/downloads/2008%20Rules%20&%20Regs%20Pro%20Vehicle_MASTER.pdf

The Swan Legs have now been adjusted and straightners added and gusseted which is designed so that the leg is actually stronger now than if it had a straight piece. This i have checked with cage builders.

The main reason we have not removed the bend in the leg is becuase it is perfect for where we are now mounting the firewall and dash due to the engine move.

Ryan

Great project mate hats off to you for taking this on:cool:

I was looking into a roof vent for my project but went for window ducts in the end, I bought the twin vented ducts to use for cooling the driver/passenger and the other for the rear brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230270436543&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

have you looked into Polyurethane bushes or mounts, I bought a kit that come with engine mounts that im going to adapt to the new engine conversion I bought the kit from these people might be worth asking if they can make you some up or have something close to what you need. [email protected]

Keep up the good work mate

Hi David

Thanks for the kind words and your advice.

The cage material used is T45 45mm with a 2.5mm wall thickness. Now having checked out all the MSA, FIA Regs and Time attack rules this is allowed.

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/downloads/2008%20Rules%20&%20Regs%20Pro%20Vehicle_MASTER.pdf

The Swan Legs have now been adjusted and straightners added and gusseted which is designed so that the leg is actually stronger now than if it had a straight piece. This i have checked with cage builders.

The main reason we have not removed the bend in the leg is becuase it is perfect for where we are now mounting the firewall and dash due to the engine move.

Ryan

I stand corrected it just looks small compared with mine (below)which are to EDC regs (which I assumed were the same but cant post a link to as they have taken down the 2008 rules and not added 2009)

2009 weld in Cage

Unfortunately I dont have any pictures of my supra cage with me

Come on sort the front leg out, I wouldnt want to test it in the event of a roll over :)

If it fits the dash well add a stright leg then weld the bend onto the straight bit not the otherway around.

Ok Ok, was going to wait to the whole interior was Alu covered but this will do for now :)

Most annoying thing is after i have done all the Panels and half pop riveted them on... i have got to take them all off again to be all sprayed as well as the whole interior. Best way to do it though :)

Ryan

nice, what seats u got lined up for her?

Well not sure at present Si but will have to be base mounted seats and FIA Approved as the side mounts i have tried all make my helmet hit the cage due to the support they add along the bottom of the seat pushing them higher :( Sometimes wish i wasnt 6ft 4

(maybe unfounded) but from the pics I've got concerns over the mounting strength of that relatively heavy tub on top of what's left of the chassis.

As much as I admire your balls out approach to this project, I must admit I'd much rather see you with a roll cage more like Davids above.

I'm thinking more triangles and side impact protection. Keep it safe bud.

Pete,

Thanks for your concern and input mate but you are as bad as SteveR :taped: ... See below

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2244286&postcount=228

We have another 3m of T45 to put into the car as well triangle gussets and straights etc but putting them in now will make it hard to work on the rest of the interior. Getting past the door bars is not fun on its own.

Ryan

More weight saving from last night. We are going to replace the front wheel with some smaller lighter tesco shopping trolley wheels

Subframe was dropped to just finish engine mounts off and fully weld up.

Never relised how easy it was to drop the subframe took 20 minutes!

Ryan

Might be that :D..... but all i had removed that would be different is the brake lines.

That's good to know, my front subframe is ever so slightly damaged where it looks like someone tried to jack it up on one of the ali bits and I want it fixed, ultimately.

Isn't the engine partially supported by the subframe?

That's good to know, my front subframe is ever so slightly damaged where it looks like someone tried to jack it up on one of the ali bits and I want it fixed, ultimately.

Isn't the engine partially supported by the subframe?

Yh but just use an Engine cradle and it doesnt move

The Engine and Gearbox mounts are now finally complete and strengthened. If you remember me asking a while back about rubber mountings.. Well i finally found a company called GMT GB http://www.gmt.gb.com/ who were able to make me up some gearbox mounts that are the right strength and and in different Shores to find the right dampering.

Few pics below.

Now the engine was fixed in its final place we could start working on the exhaust, seating position, pedals etc. Once we know everything fits 100% it then comes all back out and everything get sprayed up.

Ok first thing was seating position.. as im a lanky git finding the right seat and position has been a right PITA but think we have finally got there now. In the end the lowest seat i found was the Cobra Monaco so ended up having to get some more but this time making sure they were still FIA approved.

Here is the drivers side fitted and with me testing the harness fitments

Next then came the exhaust. Wanted to make up all stock fitment brackets for the back box part, so that i can change to a Tanabe if needs be... but i think the super dragger2 should be fine. Here is the exhaust tacked up. Need to finish the brackets and vent in the wastegate to the downpipe.

Last thing i did while Steve was busy one morning was fit the pins for the boot and the bonnet. With a pin in each corner it make removal a piece of piss if needs be and with the bonnet easily removed working on the engine is also easy.

Fitting the normal pins was fairly easy but those aerocatches on a stock alu bonnet is a PITA. If anyone can fit them to a stock bonnet without having to respray it afterwards i bow :D

Here

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Nice work mate, thinking of cutting any vents in the bonnet and bumper for extra cooling and more weight saving? are you spraying the complete car or just the inside? is the stock wing going back on?

Thanks Dude,

Yh bonnet will be cut to accomodate for the v mount setup but dont want to cut the bumper unless i have too as want the car to look as stock as possible.

The complete car inside and out will be sprayed. Unsure on colour at mo... What you lot think?... Currently thinking Diamond white outside with Satin black wheels and mirrors etc and Satin black inside.

Stock wing is going on but will add some trick fins to it if we feel some more down force is needed at the back but currently i dont think we will.

Ryan

Does Autotec have weighing facilities mate or will you need to take it elsewhere? What was the target again, 1250kg? :blink:

I have a few friends with corner weights so will be using them to fully setup the car and get a weight.

Would like below 1300kg tbh but with all the strengthing which we have added im just not sure how much it will weigh now.

Will be exciting.... But if its around 1250 and 600bhp is going to fly :cool: