The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the eta Ryan? Shall we book Silverstone for a shakedown? :)

Hoping to have done around March.

Will give it a shakedown at brunters first mate as you only pay for the time you use. So if im fixing, tweaking things it works out better.

IIRC its £50 an hour for everything which is a bargain.

You should come along.

p.s when you going to sort that karting event ;)

Nothing at present

I cant see it being a problem though with the vents in the windows, but if it is then will let you know how we fix it. :)

Alot of the race car i work with dont have any fans systems and they dont seem to have problems but we will see.

Rainex...Demon tweeks/halfords about £6 works great. we used it on our powerboat visors and it was the difference between winning or crashing!

I also use it on all my vehicle screens inside and out.

Someone needs to give Steve a kick up the arse and get him down to a weighbridge!

I felt that!

hopefully get to one this week if I can.

Also, only prob I had at snetty was early braking due to new pads that were reeling me in earlier than I was used to!

Yeah, come on Steve, get it weighed. :)

There wasn't much in your car last time I had a nosey so it'll be interesting to see what's possible going as far as you did, and as far as I think Ryan has planned.

I was tsalking to Bignum a few months ago about roll cage weight, he reckoned that by fitting his he'd put in as much weight as he'd stripped out, are they all quite heavy? :(

Not 100% but still think im going to try the OBP kit as seem well reviewed in the kit car world.

http://www2.obp.uk.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_52_88_93_94&products_id=233&osCsid=c2f14bfa45534350fd7ab31ed3b65896

That looks like a bargain, as long as its good that is. What you going to do for a throttle pedal, use the original somehow?

Today i decided it was time to beat this flu thing and get cracking, so headed over to Gledo's and started removing everything else inside the car and on the underside so that the floor and bulkhead could be removed ready for the engine move.

Notice how high the car is now without hardly anything inside and no engine!!

As the Jig is not free at the moment we cracked on with saving some weight on the doors.

Without the glass, electrics, window runners etc in they came in at 23kg each.

A few tweaks later and both doors only weigh 10kg's each...Another 26Kg's saved :)

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Oh yeah, I never noticed :D

Maybe we should have told coolsblue to remove his engine to get the front higher :D

Ryan how much does each glass pane weigh? What do you guestimate the total save would be replacing 2 doors with glass with 2 carbon Siebon doors with Lexan?

Think the glass weighed about 3.5kg each side.

Not sure on the weights of the carbon doors but think you should be able to save the same amount i have.

Oh yeah, I never noticed :D

Maybe we should have told coolsblue to remove his engine to get the front higher :D

Ryan how much does each glass pane weigh? What do you guestimate the total save would be replacing 2 doors with glass with 2 carbon Siebon doors with Lexan?

I had my R33 Skyline doors vacced in carbon and they were 2.5 kilos each, without the glass. Stock they were something mad like 38 kilos each, with stock glass and winders. The carbon ones were fully internally skinned, so could be used with ALL stock internals and gizmos. If the Seibon doors weigh as much as their bonnets they could be surprisingly heavy, they may just be wet layup, or even a carbon over FRP construction.

I had my R33 Skyline doors vacced in carbon and they were 2.5 kilos each, without the glass. Stock they were something mad like 38 kilos each, with stock glass and winders. The carbon ones were fully internally skinned, so could be used with ALL stock internals and gizmos. If the Seibon doors weigh as much as their bonnets they could be surprisingly heavy, they may just be wet layup, or even a carbon over FRP construction.

Would say the supra doors with everything inside are around 45kg :blink:

That's a great job there Ryan, this is a serious diet, I like it :)

May I just publicly thank Ryan for his help with my Motec ecu install, which is something a bit outside my normal line of work. He has been very kind with free advice, and he's a credit to the club. I ordered some heat sealable splice, eyelet and spade connectors from RS today, it's amazing how connectors and stuff mount up, I can see where the huge bills for a Raychem loom came from that the previous owner of the red Zeus had made, when el cheapo stuff from RS mount up like this :(

Thanks Ryan, any help I can give you please just phone or e-mail.

i'm glad its a track car with a cage Ryan as i would feel very uncomfortable watching someone remove all the side impact protection from a road car :blink:

:thumbs:

Is a good point to make!. If ever doing this modification you must ensure you have a side protection part of the cage.

Really good to see more progress, love what you're doing :) The supra monster truck picture is a bit comical!

Would say the supra doors with everything inside are around 45kg :blink:

Just weighed a complete one with all electics and glass, mirrors, etc. It showed 28kg without the door cards (probably give or take a few kg as this was on bathroom scales ;) )

Just weighed a complete one with all electics and glass, it showed 28kg without the door cards (probably give or take a few kg as this was on bathroom scales :D )

You sure you havn't wound the scales back abit for that feel good factor Daryl :D

p.s did it have the speaker in etc

You sure you havn't wound the scales back abit for that feel good factor Daryl :D

p.s did it have the speaker in etc

Git :D

Edit - it wasn't with the speakers and pods. Just weighted one, it was 2kg. The door card is 2.5kg. So total weight is 32.5kg give or take a few kg. Darn heavy whichever way you look at it!

You mentioned about cutting out the floor, does that mean you still plan on moving the driving position and engine back in the chassis?

Crickey so those carbon doors work out pretty expensive, £1200 to save 26kgs. I was hoping there'd be a bigger saving in the doors, giving me 2nd thoughts on the carbon panel/lexan window thing.

Are they vacced pre preg, or wetlay up, does it say? Are they fully finished internally, like these? :

http://www.gatesgarth.com/toys/DSC03236.JPG