The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, are you going to have some waist-height sections across the roll cage, to make up for the side impact bars you took out, or are you not worried?

Any idea how much the cage will weight when complete?

Man! i wish people would read what i have said instead of just looking at the pretty pics :D

See below dude. Sorry to pick on you but i have had enough of repeating myself now :imsorry:

Small update.

Steve and I started making up the cage today by modifying a Cusco T45 cage and measuring up for all the T45 we will need to finish the cage and make all the new gearbox supports and tunnel. It took a while to get it as we wanted which involved bending, cutting and extending with sleaves and then welding into the car. We will be adding door protection bars into the cage as well as front and back strut support. All the window bars and roof bars etc will be gusseted also on the chassis to provide extra strength.

Weight wise with everything added we think around 20kg now with all the extra stuff

Nice project! Just out of curiosity, what are the benefits of v mounting the rad and the intercooler? Is it to reduce the length of the pipework? (And therefore LAG) Does the intercooler not suffer from heat soak from the radiator?

Shorter IC pipework so less lag, the radiator hasn't got a great big fat IC blocking the airflow to it. You might get a bit of heatsoak if your in traffic yes, not a problem when your hacking around a track.

23-01-09

Today we crack on getting the rest of the floor removed from the car to make up the space frame. As the engine has been move back 14" we can to obviously move the seat etc back to go with it. This also mean move weight over the rear wheels also.

So the day started off with removing the front part of the floor. After it was cut out i then had to drill out all the spot welds on the side sills to ensure the frame has a good strong structure to weld to.

These front parts of the floor weighed 11kg each!. So with the rest of the floor bits removed we have lost about 50-60kg. We estimate the new floor will be around 30kg.

Then move on to the rear of the flooring where the passenger seat is as that is roughly where i will be sitting :rlol:

After all the floor was out and the spot welds etc were remove we cleaned up all the surfaces ready for some tack welds to get everything were we want it but seaming it all up.

The Box section and T45 was then needed and all measure up.

We then did some dummy fits to get the seat position right and the prop support in the right place. As you can see the prop now sits ontop so will be making some trick bits to make removing it easier.

Then test fitted a seat to make sure the driving position was good.

We ended up at 11pm last night happy with the base to the frame and will now be mocking up some more supports next week and gusseting in the base frame to make sure it links to the cage and chassis making the car solid!.

Right im late to work

Ryan

It wont be legal with the Cusco cage tube diameter. Are you doing Time Attack then Ryan? Would be great if you did.

Doubt i will be TBH, well not this year as will be working with the laptop but maybe next.

The cusco cage we used as a base is T45 2.0mm thick IIRC thats legal but the cage will be FIA scruterned afterwards anyway so will soon find out....

All the other T45 i have is also 2mm and its the same stuff pro-drive use as i got a discount under them :)

EDIT: just checked rules and as we have altered the chassis we would not be allowed to enter anyway.

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Doubt i will be TBH, well not this year as will be working with the laptop but maybe next.

The cusco cage we used as a base is T45 2.0mm thick IIRC thats legal but the cage will be FIA scruterned afterwards anyway so will soon find out....

All the other T45 i have is also 2mm and its the same stuff pro-drive use as i got a discount under them :)

EDIT: just checked rules and as we have altered the chassis we would not be allowed to enter anyway.

You may want to check the front legs of the cage against MSA regs as well. They only allow 1 bend in the leg, it looks like you have 2 in the pictures. (general specs : para 8 of competitor safety)

Don't want you to get too far and have to re-do them :)

(assuming you'll want to comply with MSA?)

Doesn't the tube have to be a certain diameter though? I thought that was the problem, like Steve dont want to have to rip it all out again!

You say that about Time Attack rules, some of the cars have stuff like this done so you'll probably be ok when it comes down to it.

Steve, Paul. Do you have a link to the full MSA regs?

The tubing is 45mm, 2mm T45 which complies with the regs IIRC

Although guys i am mainly building the car for just track day fun but i am also aiming to meet the Club class TA rules and regs as that would be all i would want to enter. I do not have the budget and the time like the pro teams have.

Looking over the club class rules etc it seems i woud be fine

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/downloads/2008%20Rules%20&%20Regs%20Club%20Vehicle_MASTER.pdf

Ryan

i am also aiming to meet the Club class TA rules and regs as that would be all i would want to enter. I do not have the budget and the time like the pro teams have.

You dont need a cage in club class and therefore if you have one it doesnt have to meet MSA/FIA regs.

Your main issue with club entry is getting something that resembles a stock dash back in the car as I am sure the rules say stock dash.

You dont need a cage in club class and therefore if you have one it doesnt have to meet MSA/FIA regs.

Your main issue with club entry is getting something that resembles a stock dash back in the car as I am sure the rules say stock dash.

Pulled from Rules:

10.1 There must be a firewall between the engine bay and the passenger compartment capable of preventing the passage of fire or liquid. Larger holes must be covered by metal plates or fibreglass and smaller holes with bolts, rivets or fireproof mastic. If the standard bulkhead is retained, and has no unfilled holes in it, then it is deemed a satisfactory firewall. 10.2 The dashboard may be replaced but the replacement should be built to similar standards/appearance or better than the OEM unit.

Im sure we can make one that is better than the OEM unit :D

Steve, Paul. Do you have a link to the full MSA regs?

The tubing is 45mm, 2mm T45 which complies with the regs IIRC

Although guys i am mainly building the car for just track day fun but i am also aiming to meet the Club class TA rules and regs as that would be all i would want to enter. I do not have the budget and the time like the pro teams have.

Looking over the club class rules etc it seems i woud be fine

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/downloads/2008%20Rules%20&%20Regs%20Club%20Vehicle_MASTER.pdf

Ryan

here ya go ....

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/complete_blue_book.pdf

As Wez pointed out, club class don't need a cage - but if your putting one in then its worth getting it to a decent level. Cages with additional bends in them to get around dash boards are 'street' cages and I personally wouldn't trust one. I've seen the result of a flipped car and that front leg collapsed allowing the whole cage to be pushed down.

here ya go ....

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/complete_blue_book.pdf

As Wez pointed out, club class don't need a cage - but if your putting one in then its worth getting it to a decent level. Cages with additional bends in them to get around dash boards are 'street' cages and I personally wouldn't trust one. I've seen the result of a flipped car and that front leg collapsed allowing the whole cage to be pushed down.

Thanks Steve

Although wait until the cage is fully complete mate as dont forget i have 10m of t45 to still go in ;). It will be going to the front legs, door bracing etc so that bend will be taken out as such with a bit of t45 following the original line and there is a reason we kept the other bend in it present :)

Thanks for the input though chap

Keep an eye on those brake discs ryan

:yeahthat:

They look like direct bolt rather than floating, the problem is the bell and disk heat up and contract at different rates which can warp the disks. I warped a similar setup from Hi-Spec in a few laps and donny.

Single piece or floating would be the way to go :thumbs: