The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan

if the whole engine/gearbox is going back a foot, excuse my automaticnus but is the gear stick going to usable a foot further back or are you going a foot further back with it :D

The passenger and I will be back with it also helping the weight bias.

This is another reason the floor has come out as we are going to be moving the seats back etc. So new steering column and pedal box also

Ryan

Ryan, Does the 1ft aim come from the sump issue with the rear part of the front subframe? or, do you have some trick setup planed with an aftermarket sump and oil pump?

If sticking to stock, how are you going to manage issues like changing plugs, etc if the top of the engine is tucked under the front bulkhead?

Sorry for the questions, absolutely respect what you're doing, though it sometimes raises more questions than the pictures answer ;) Sure you understand where I'm coming from :D

Right what a busy day!

Today Steve, stuart, wes and myself test fitted the engine into a couple of position to find the best suited mounting point. Finding the right point ment that the sump had to miss the lower subframe and the crank pulley missed the steering rack... After an hour of trial and error we finally found the point which worked best. :)

This is before using the stock mounts

This is using the new mounts :)

Steve cracked on straight away with making up some quick engine mounts which would hold the engine. We then ensured the engine was centered and made up a temporary gearbox mount using some pipe to ensure that with the gearbox would line up with the diff and the prop was straight. An hour later we finally had the position of the engine sorted and fixed everything in place ready for some permanent mounts to be made on the engine. The gearbox we cant make a permanent mount for just yet as the rest of the floor is coming out and then a t45 frame will be made for the floor and the gearbox tunnel.

While everything was solid we also cut the prop to the right length so it could be sent of to be properly welded and balanced. Its abit long now :D

Here is everything mocked up :eyebrows:

The scuttle was also cut out to make taking the engine out easier and will also be made removable when all done for easy access when changing the plugs etc.

Im away mapping now for the next week but hopefully will be back on the car next weekend.

Enjoy

With #6 running hot in the stock position Ryan, what are your thoughts on this regarding the new position?

PS I'm impressed with how far you've moved it back :)

It will probably be better tbh as the bulkhead will designed so that there will be more room around the back of the engine and with the new flooring we could design it to pull the heat away with a vacuum effect. Plus when you see the new intercooler design etc you will see how alot of heat will be pulled out of the engine ;)

Ryan

Ryan, Does the 1ft aim come from the sump issue with the rear part of the front subframe? or, do you have some trick setup planed with an aftermarket sump and oil pump?

If sticking to stock, how are you going to manage issues like changing plugs, etc if the top of the engine is tucked under the front bulkhead?

Sorry for the questions, absolutely respect what you're doing, though it sometimes raises more questions than the pictures answer ;) Sure you understand where I'm coming from :D

Hope the pics answer your questions Daryl. With regards the sparks... removable parts of the bulkhead etc will be done to access the rear parts of the engine

Right im off to bed lol

It will probably be better tbh as the bulkhead will designed so that there will be more room around the back of the engine and with the new flooring we could design it to pull the heat away with a vacuum effect. Plus when you see the new intercooler design etc you will see how alot of heat will be pulled out of the engine ;)

Ryan

Looks the nuts mate, are you going V mount like me?

Having seen this in the flesh yesterday its incredible how far back the engine has gone, insane doesnt come close to describing it.

A nice V mounted rad and intercooler with large surface areas and very short intercooler pipe runs could be done, a properly ducted bonnet with top mounted electric fans would also be a good idea, aka Enzo setup :D

EDIT: the doors and rear hatch are very very light.

Having seen this in the flesh yesterday its incredible how far back the engine has gone, insane doesnt come close to describing it.

A nice V mounted rad and intercooler with large surface areas and very short intercooler pipe runs could be done, a properly ducted bonnet with top mounted electric fans would also be a good idea, aka Enzo setup :D

EDIT: the doors and rear hatch are very very light.

I might be doing a V mount on my car actually, I know how good they work on the RX7.

Ryan, do you fancy some carbon door skins to make it proper light?

Hope the pics answer your questions Daryl. With regards the sparks... removable parts of the bulkhead etc will be done to access the rear parts of the engine

It certainly does mate :) As always the pictures pose many questions, but I'll only ask one... is the XS power manifold for mock up only? I had the impression you were going for a cast (probably got that wrong tho).

Loving the updates so far, this is one of the most interesting threads on here for years :)

It certainly does mate :) As always the pictures pose many questions, but I'll only ask one... is the XS power manifold for mock up only? I had the impression you were going for a cast (probably got that wrong tho).

Loving the updates so far, this is one of the most interesting threads on here for years :)

Was planning on going cast but unfortunatly i dont think it will allow the turbo to fit nicely in the engines current position. Steve had the XS one spare and as the head was going off to be worked on i thought i might as well just get the company to extrude honed the manifold.

Ryan

Was planning on going cast but unfortunatly i dont think it will allow the turbo to fit nicely in the engines current position. Steve had the XS one spare and as the head was going off to be worked on i thought i might as well just get the company to extrude honed the manifold.

Ryan

Year, did wonder about that with the log, turbo would be too high up I guess and the DP not in the easiest postion to fit? At least the manifold is more or less expendable as long as it stays intact :D They're cheap as chips and easy enough to swap out if they do crack.

Small update.

Steve and I started making up the cage today by modifying a Cusco T45 cage and measuring up for all the T45 we will need to finish the cage and make all the new gearbox supports and tunnel. It took a while to get it as we wanted which involved bending, cutting and extending with sleaves and then welding into the car. We will be adding door protection bars into the cage as well as front and back strut support. All the window bars and roof bars etc will be gusseted also on the chassis to provide extra strength.

Right im off to bed lol

Pictures show everything :)

Sorry i'm probably going to sound like a complete noob here however, with the engine that far back, are you going to extend the pipework to fit the FMIC or are you cooling it a different way?

Hi Dave

We will be mounting the Radiator and the intercooler in a V mount configuration in the space now in front of the engine.

Like the below, although the intercooler will be slightly more vertical than the below picture

http://www.knightsports.co.jp/catalog/pict/v-mout-003.jpg

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Hi Dave

We will be mounting the Radiator and the intercooler in a V mount configuration in the space now in front of the engine.

Like the below, although the intercooler will be slightly more vertical than the below picture

http://www.knightsports.co.jp/catalog/pict/v-mout-003.jpg

Ryan

They work a treat, thats like we have it in the RX7. I was going to do this on my Supra as well but its going to have to wait, got to much other stuff to do first!