The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few quick Snaps

Today changed we changed the diffs over from Steves car to mine. Steves is a Auto diff with a TRD LSD. The one i had is a 6sp Diff with a Tomei LSD.

We thought the Ratios of the 6sp would suit his better and with the Auto box being lighter also we thought his auto diff would be better for mine.

Here are them together... also some more pics with weights of each shown.

Some work in progress pics of the bonnet aswell

Good stuff Ryan, always a pleasure to read these updates :thumbs:

Hope you don't mind, but some questions about the diff choice...

With the auto diff final drive ratio being longer than the 6spd one are the longer gears not a concern? Is a slightly longer gear preferable to track use rather than a shorter one on a sensible sized single? I have no doubt you factored in the torque range of the turbo you've fitted, but am still a little surprised by this change.

Does the auto diff have the stronger of the 3 crown wheels? The 6spd one is renowed for being near indestructable.

Are you adding any cooling for the diff oil? Or is oil temperature likely to be a concern, i.e. offset with the lighter car it has to work on?

Good stuff Ryan, always a pleasure to read these updates :thumbs:

Hope you don't mind, but some questions about the diff choice...

With the auto diff final drive ratio being longer than the 6spd one are the longer gears not a concern? Is a slightly longer gear preferable to track use rather than a shorter one on a sensible sized single? I have no doubt you factored in the torque range of the turbo you've fitted, but am still a little surprised by this change.

Does the auto diff have the stronger of the 3 crown wheels? The 6spd one is renowed for being near indestructable.

Are you adding any cooling for the diff oil? Or is oil temperature likely to be a concern, i.e. offset with the lighter car it has to work on?

The Auto Diff is geared down alot lower than a 6sp diff as you have said so with the GT35 i feel it will be ideal for 95% of the tracks in Europe. I feel no need to have a high top speed when i doubt the car will be getting anywhere near 170+ on any European tracks. With it being also 7kg lighter it does win it for me.

Get a ride in Pigs car with his T61 and a Auto Diff.. It produces the highest tractive effort i have seen yet at SRR with a Supra.

Steve@autotec has built this diff and have been on his 700+ Bhp Supra for about 20,000 miles now. The launch control of the Solaris has also been demonstrated many times with it on also :D

Not planing on Diff cooler at present but will be another thing on the R&D list

wow that car is going to be unique, one slight criticism, real pro's use countersunk rivets on bonnet vents ;)

:rlol:

Im a Mapper not a Fabricator!.. and the bonnet was all my work :D but im sure Steve will be tweaking everything when it comes to spray prep.

:rlol:

Im a Mapper not a Fabricator!.. and the bonnet was all my work :D but im sure Steve will be tweaking everything when it comes to spray prep.

:D good come back, sorry i used to do a lot of fabrication in a past life, good effort mate, feel free to criticise my mapping skills (if i had any) :eyebrows: if i can be of any assistance let me know

bonnet 011.jpg

The Auto Diff is geared down alot lower than a 6sp diff as you have said so with the GT35 i feel it will be ideal for 95% of the tracks in Europe. I feel no need to have a high top speed when i doubt the car will be getting anywhere near 170+ on any European tracks. With it being also 7kg lighter it does win it for me.

Ah yes, got it now, the auto LSD has a higher ratio final drive than the 6spd (auto = 3.769, 6spd = 3.266). Less top speed, more in gear acceleration :)

Ah yes, got it now, the auto LSD has a higher ratio final drive than the 6spd (auto = 3.769, 6spd = 3.266). Less top speed, more in gear acceleration :)

This sounds like a good plan, I was getting silly quotes over £2.5k to have a new ring and pinion made, another was over £4k :(

That was hard work, I just removed all the chit chat posts.

Can you all refrain from asking when the next update is, or saying WOW or posting up a smiley on its own?

We want to keep the project threads as just that.

We can start a project chat thread in SupraChat if people want to chat about it.

I am happy to see the technical stuff questioned and replied to in here.

I really do NOT want to do the same to Jamie's project thread, but it needs it.

I really do NOT want to do the same to Jamie's project thread, but it needs it.

:taped:

anyhoo missed the V mount pics first time around Ryan, stunning, not really seen to much on these, dont suppose it makes a difference whether the rad goes on the top or bottom on a track car ?, the length of the intercooler pipework is just laughably short ;) it really demonstrates the attraction of the V mount.

I have a set of radiator fans for mine so will be loosing the stock fan and cowling, i was thinking with this lot out of the way when i have the rad out for the engine swap i was going to move the radiator connection and re-weld it in line with a modified engine connection, might be something to consider while its all in bits (if you were'nt doing it allready :))

:taped:

anyhoo missed the V mount pics first time around Ryan, stunning, not really seen to much on these, dont suppose it makes a difference whether the rad goes on the top or bottom on a track car ?, the length of the intercooler pipework is just laughably short ;) it really demonstrates the attraction of the V mount.

I have a set of radiator fans for mine so will be loosing the stock fan and cowling, i was thinking with this lot out of the way when i have the rad out for the engine swap i was going to move the radiator connection and re-weld it in line with a modified engine connection, might be something to consider while its all in bits (if you were'nt doing it allready :))

Sorry Paul for the delay in my reply

Ideally the intercooler will always go on top.. mainly due to bleeding issue and thermal transferrad if the rad was mounted flat on top

Ok Small update

Firstly would like to say a big thank you to Chris Wilson for servicing a set of Ohlins i brought a while back. Chris also tested them on a shock dyno to make sure they were good as well as cleaning them up for me. We are going to try them as they are now but Chris reckons im going to have to try a few springs first to find which works best now the weight balance is different.

Here is them when i got them :blink:

After Chris and Autotecs handy work

Other bits i have done is half sorted the steering column. The hardest bit was finding a suitable collapsable section. Finely found one from the States. Next had to adapt it to fit the stock unit and make some sleaves up to properly join the sections.

Next came a job i havnt been looking forward to which was cutting the roof for the air vent.

Here is it cut after hours of measuring etc

Bit of fibreglass work later :)

This is what it looks like inside

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/images/large/RoofScoop2.jpg

Quick pic of the airbox and 4" piping

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Ryan,

Sorry to be going over old stuff and I may have missed the answer to this question somewhere but bear with me.

Your roll cage, it looks to have originally a bolt-in affair. Are the tube dimensions DEFINITELY 45mm O.D. and 2.5mm wall thickness? If yes is the answer to these questions could you let me know where you happened across this cage and if there are anymore to be had.

Absolutely mind blowing work by all the team involved by the way.

Out of interest Ryan, how thick is the roof by where you've cut it?

Still hope to have it ready for Llandow? :eyebrows:

Would say the roof is about 2mm thick chap

Would love to say it will be ready for Llandow but just not sure at present. Its the target :)

Ryan,

Sorry to be going over old stuff and I may have missed the answer to this question somewhere but bear with me.

Your roll cage, it looks to have originally a bolt-in affair. Are the tube dimensions DEFINITELY 45mm O.D. and 2.5mm wall thickness? If yes is the answer to these questions could you let me know where you happened across this cage and if there are anymore to be had.

Absolutely mind blowing work by all the team involved by the way.

See Page 12 Chap

Would say the roof is about 2mm thick chap

Would love to say it will be ready for Llandow but just not sure at present. Its the target :)

2mm is not much at all. :eek:

Let me know if I can do anything to help you get the car ready Ryan. I'd probably slow you down but the offer is there!