The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh I see, even at £500 its less than half the cost of the APs :thumbs:

Bargain compared to there's yes, it would be cheaper still if bought from the US as well. But then you still have the cost of the throttle linkage kit, master cylinders, all the brake lines, etc. Also, we went through about 8 different master cylinder sizes until we got the feel and balance spot on, so you have factor in this also, takes time to get right.

Its amazing how much all this stuff weighs isn't it, have you decided what your doing with the pedal box yet? Floor mount or hanging?

Hi Paul

Yh really looking forward to weighing it when its all done, as alot of stuff which i havn't listed here has come off and it all weighs something. How much did you get your RX7 to in the end?

With regards the pedal box i will be going with a hanging unit that can match the 'swing' of the stock unit. There is a reason which Chris told me why but he would need to answer that, as im not the best at chassis and braking setups. Hence why i will be giving the car to him for fully setting up.

You need to start stripping that car of yours. I would also love to see a T51 attached to your motor as i feel with the 3.4 it could be brilliant on the track.

I reckon you should wind the boost up see what it will do for the press and then downsize the turbo for time attack. :cool:

Ryan

p.s not sure if you saw the GB on the lexan stuff. Would any of your Time attack supra need some stuff

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Hi Paul

Yh really looking forward to weighing it when its all done, as alot of stuff which i havn't listed here has come off and it all weighs something. How much did you get your RX7 to in the end?

With regards the pedal box i will be going with a hanging unit that can match the 'swing' of the stock unit. There is a reason which Chris told me why but he would need to answer that, as im not the best at chassis and braking setups. Hence why i will be giving the car to him for fully setting up.

You need to start stripping that car of yours. I would also love to see a T51 attached to your motor as i feel with the 3.4 it could be brilliant on the track.

I reckon you should wind the boost up see what it will do then for the press and then downsize the turbo for time attack. :cool:

Ryan

We didn't weigh everything, so many bits came off it, we got bored doing it all in the end. When Darren gets that angle grinder in his hand there's no stopping him! We've got a plasma cutter now so god knows he'll be like armed with that!

With the brakes, we haven't gone down that path on the Supra's yet, I'm waiting for Steve or Ben to be a guinea pig! I wonder why it needs to be hanging, interested to know the answer to that, unless there's no room for a floor mounted one. Probably easier to install a hanging one though, we had to chop the floor out and box it all back in again to get the pedal box in, but then again the RX7's are pretty tight inside.

I'd love to do all this to mine, the car is just to nice though! Dont want to start chopping bits out of it really. I will be doing some more stuff on it though, cant help myself. Mainly suspension, all Ikeya parts along with some high end 2 way dampers. AP brake setup, I'll be getting a kit made with all the bells/brackets/etc using Pro 5000+ calipers if your interested. Will also be getting a decent carbon wing on the back as that makes a hell of difference on the high speed stuff along with a few carbon bits to shed a bit of weight.

You'd be suprised how responsive the setup I've got now is, on the track its superb. Before the last round at Snetterton I was thinking about getting a big power figure then dropping turbo size, something like a GT4094 possibly but I really dont think I will now, not after the way it performed. On the day it was handling terribly and brakes were non existent so the result I got was pretty good considering.

Basically to make a Supra compete on the track against EVO's, Imprezas, etc it needs have a shed load of power for the straights! Either that or lose ALOT of weight, I'll be very interested to see what sort of laptime your car will do once its finished. We'll have to all try and get together at some track days this coming year, could be a right laugh!

We didn't weigh everything, so many bits came off it, we got bored doing it all in the end. When Darren gets that angle grinder in his hand there's no stopping him! We've got a plasma cutter now so god knows he'll be like armed with that!

With the brakes, we haven't gone down that path on the Supra's yet, I'm waiting for Steve or Ben to be a guinea pig! I wonder why it needs to be hanging, interested to know the answer to that, unless there's no room for a floor mounted one. Probably easier to install a hanging one though, we had to chop the floor out and box it all back in again to get the pedal box in, but then again the RX7's are pretty tight inside.

I'd love to do all this to mine, the car is just to nice though! Dont want to start chopping bits out of it really. I will be doing some more stuff on it though, cant help myself. Mainly suspension, all Ikeya parts along with some high end 2 way dampers. AP brake setup, I'll be getting a kit made with all the bells/brackets/etc using Pro 5000+ calipers if your interested. Will also be getting a decent carbon wing on the back as that makes a hell of difference on the high speed stuff along with a few carbon bits to shed a bit of weight.

You'd be suprised how responsive the setup I've got now is, on the track its superb. Before the last round at Snetterton I was thinking about getting a big power figure then dropping turbo size, something like a GT4094 possibly but I really dont think I will now, not after the way it performed. On the day it was handling terribly and brakes were non existent so the result I got was pretty good considering.

Basically to make a Supra compete on the track against EVO's, Imprezas, etc it needs have a shed load of power for the straights! Either that or lose ALOT of weight, I'll be very interested to see what sort of laptime your car will do once its finished. We'll have to all try and get together at some track days this coming year, could be a right laugh!

Hoping to have the car ready for around march so come april i would hope all the niggles are sorted and then will see what it can do. Will be giving the car to a few racing drivers i know at first though to get as much input as possiable.

Having gone with a Gt35R and 264cams it will be interesting to see how the two cars differ in times with the different setups.

I must admit though your car is very nice looking and would be horriable to cut up. Why not buy a cheap shell and put your engine in it though :D

Hoping to have the car ready for around march so come april i would hope all the niggles are sorted and then will see what it can do. Will be giving the car to a few racing drivers i know at first though to get as much input as possiable.

Having gone with a Gt35R and 264cams it will be interesting to see how the two cars differ in times with the different setups.

I must admit though your car is very nice looking and would be horriable to cut up. Why not buy a cheap shell and put your engine in it though :D

Are you going to be using it any race series or just for fun?

Steve L was about 2 seconds a lap slower than me at Snetterton I think, as far as I know he wasn't having any issues on the day. I think I could have gone about 2 seconds faster a lap approx if I had brakes and probably a bit more if I had some kind of confidence in the handling. So estimate 4 sec's difference, Steve's car is fully stripped out, high end suspension, running GT4088 1.7 bar so about 650bhp approx?, weld in cage, etc.

The RX7 was about 0.6 sec a lap faster than me, that must be down to about 1100kg, possibly 1000kg, running 1.6 bar so about 650bhp. Darren was doing about the same lap times as I was in the same car a week before so it should be a good comparison.

My car weighing 1200kg would be mental.

All depends how good it is :)

Interesting about Snetterton, but it is a track more suited to big power cars ;)

You must be the better driver though :D

I'm sure it'll be good, are you building to be MSA/FIA compliant?

It has 2 nice straights yep. Round Brands it would be different story, lap times are shorter there to so wont show up such a big difference.

May be! The only time I've driven Steve's car on the track was at Marham and I was just seeing how sideways I could get it!

Nothing at present

I cant see it being a problem though with the vents in the windows, but if it is then will let you know how we fix it. :)

Alot of the race car i work with dont have any fans systems and they dont seem to have problems but we will see.

Not sure if it's made any more :( I jealously guard my stock, I have found nothing better even at 3 or 4 times the price. Was "invented" by a chap in his shed :)

Saw some stuff just like this at the MPH Show at Earls Court this year. This it was about £12, worked really well on mirrors and windows. Can probably find some info in my brochure if anyones interested.