The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got some cheap side skirts kicking around. Ideally ones with flat bottom.

Dont want to spend £300+ on some ridox when they are going to get damaged im sure in another gravel pit!

Not sure how much effort or any particular look you are after, but what about these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-DL-SIDESKIRTS-SIDE-SKIRTS-body-kit-bodykit_W0QQitemZ360140376569QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53da0a09f9

They're not to my taste but may be the right base shape to tie into the flat bottom?

Edit: This item looks like it contains the same skirts so gives a better view of them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Supra-DL-Bodykit-F-R-Bumpers-Skirts_W0QQitemZ290422961510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439e8eb566

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Finally with the correct master cylinders, corrects pads and decent pedal box i have removed the remote servo unit!!.

Saved 12kg and now i get a real feel of the braking.

Ordering the alu for the flat floor next week then will drop off at autotec.

Then Bring on the track testing. Got a very good feeling about this car now

Ryan

What pads and pedal ratio have you ended up with Ryan? It's hard to stop big GT cars without a servo, even ultra light F1 cars are using servos now, albeit they have the constraints of disc sizes within 13" wheels.

Tilton Pedal box 5.8:1 PR and using portfield pads.

Uk Front brakes and KAD 6 Pot Rears

Can lock up all 4 wheels and feels just awesome

What pads and pedal ratio have you ended up with Ryan? It's hard to stop big GT cars without a servo, even ultra light F1 cars are using servos now, albeit they have the constraints of disc sizes within 13" wheels.

They may well do in sportscars, but not in F1. 120Kg of pedal force braking into each corner.

• 4 weeks later...

crazy build man. you are inspiring me to set my engine back also. but what made you decide to run a 6 pot rear instead of the oem? i read that you planned on going to bigger rears, then got the turbo USDM style brakes and seems you are using the oem rear parking brake. does the tilton pedal set and master cylinders not put enough brake force to the rears on the turbo brakes? any deeper insight on the brake setup would be very helpful as i too plan on doing tilton pedal sets, but probably the 900 series. im not sure if i will upgrade brakes first though, love the oem brakes.

Cool Ryan. :cool:

Have you dyno'd your beast at 1.7 bar yet?

Not had time and doubt i will be able to get it on SRR after the flat floor is finished!

crazy build man. you are inspiring me to set my engine back also. but what made you decide to run a 6 pot rear instead of the oem? i read that you planned on going to bigger rears, then got the turbo USDM style brakes and seems you are using the oem rear parking brake. does the tilton pedal set and master cylinders not put enough brake force to the rears on the turbo brakes? any deeper insight on the brake setup would be very helpful as i too plan on doing tilton pedal sets, but probably the 900 series. im not sure if i will upgrade brakes first though, love the oem brakes.

At first we ran a servo on the fronts as we didn't think we would get enough brake pressure from the floor mounted pedal setup. so to get the same amount of braking bias we fitted a small master cylinder to the back and also the 6 pot calipers.

The servo we used never seemed to work right on the car so i tried the brakes without and to my amazement it worked brilliant. So it was junked and then the bias bar was set to suit.

TBH tho i do like a fair amount of rear braking. Feels like im in a go kart then :D

Bit of an update on the car

Some of you who have seen the car recently may have noticed that a set of OEM skirts and Spats have been added to the car. Well this has been done not for the styling side of things but to aid with the fitment of the new Flat floor and diffuser we are building for the car.

First thing to say is anyone who wants to build a flat floor for the supra make sure you get it built properly and out of the right material!!!!

Before getting started on the flat floor i enlisted the help of our very own Mr Licence again for some trips on how it should be built and angles etc. After a few phone calls and diagrams we went to work to build the frame that will support the flat floor.

This is made out of 3/8 and 1/2 alu bar.

Steve came up with a cracking design for the way it would clear certain items on the car with the lowest point down the centre creating 2 kind of venturi tunnels in the higher side areas. A few hours later he got to work with the tig welding. While this was being done i got a local company to make up an new exhaust system that would sit above the flat floor. In order to get it high enough they had to split the 3" down to 2x 2 1/4 pipes.

Upon building the exhaust i noticed that the exhaust going down the centre of the car was going to be just to close to the fuel tank so the making of it had to stop half way until i got a new fuel tank made which would allow clearance of the exhaust so we could get the correct angle on the diffuser.

Hopefully the fuel tank will be ready in 2 weeks time and then we can finish it off.

Will try and update as much as i can but everything is abit mental for me at the moment with peak season for mapping, getting the car done and tested all before the 27th of June and then also trying to get all my work done before i go working/holiday in Oz on the 9th of july!!

A few pics so far

Unfortunatly it has added a fair bit of weight to the car but we are hoping this should transform the car in the corners!

Will you be able to recreate it for other cars? I'm sure some of our track-biased members would snap something like that up.

Seems like a lot of work to get the flat floor. New exhaust and fuel tank! Only serious track animals need apply ;)