The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking through the back it looked great but upon opening i found this AGAIN!!

What the hell is up with these exhaust housings. You can see that the inside of the casting is just falling to pieces and damaging the turbo!

Going to see if owens can salvage something between both the turbos and make one good one. While they are doing that im just going to bite the bullet and get a borg warner turbo now. Thats 4 precision turbo i have had do this to me and seen over 8 do this now!

Oh dear mate - that looks like sh!t.

The turbine wheel does look badly distorted at the base as well as a tiny bit "chipped" and "eaten away". This is how mine looked for comparison....

If you want me to take a look at the housing I may be able to diagnose whether the housingitself is definitely failing or if it is tiny particle damage from elsewhere attacking the housing. I have access to some excellent imaging and magnification kit which may yield a lot more than a visual or "mangnifying glass" inspection.

CIMG2907a.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

interesting info on the Precision units here. I run a T67 as well. the turbo is a non dbb, about 4 years old and has about 8k miles on it now. The last time I inspected it, it was all dandy but since the car has had a remap to 1.6 bar (from 1.3) but EGT's are the same. I will pull it off during the winter and have a look again.

Well after a few emails, they said a few possible causes. Material from the manifold coming away, a bolt or nut dropped in the manifold or a spark plug. I then sent the picture of Jamie's T67 and then got the old reply of foreign object damage. To which I replied that I find it hard to believe that it was that due to the number of failures occurring.

So was advised to go back to Boostlogic and get them to deal with it. I could also have sent h the unit back to them for repair, but after shipping, the repairs and new exhaust housing I figured it would be better start again.

Well looking forward now, I will not be using a Precision turbo again so am looking at the Borg Warner units.

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

Oh dear mate - that looks like sh!t.

The turbine wheel does look badly distorted at the base as well as a tiny bit "chipped" and "eaten away". This is how mine looked for comparison....

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Turbo/CIMG2907a.jpg

If you want me to take a look at the housing I may be able to diagnose whether the housingitself is definitely failing or if it is tiny particle damage from elsewhere attacking the housing. I have access to some excellent imaging and magnification kit which may yield a lot more than a visual or "mangnifying glass" inspection.

Dan shall I send you my old exhaust housing?

Well after a few emails, they said a few possible causes. Material from the manifold coming away, a bolt or nut dropped in the manifold or a spark plug. I then sent the picture of Jamie's T67 and then got the old reply of foreign object damage. To which I replied that I find it hard to believe that it was that due to the number of failures occurring.

So was advised to go back to Boostlogic and get them to deal with it. I could also have sent h the unit back to them for repair, but after shipping, the repairs and new exhaust housing I figured it would be better start again.

Well looking forward now, I will not be using a Precision turbo again so am looking at the Borg Warner units.

I've been looking at using the Borg Warner's in my turbo kits for awhile now, from what I've heard they are suppose to be the nuts. I'll be trying one out very soon. I can get them at good prices if you need one mate, let me know which one.

I've been looking at using the Borg Warner's in my turbo kits for awhile now, from what I've heard they are suppose to be the nuts. I'll be trying one out very soon. I can get them at good prices if you need one mate, let me know which one.

PM on the way :)

If the turbine housing isn't Ni-Resist ™ or similar high nickel content cast iron just forget it. You need to ask in writing if a given turbo has such a housing. Cheap grey nodular stuff just flakes and particles erode the wheel or worse. The genuine Garrett listings show which turbos have these housings.

I have a genuine garett housing and a precision one spare now. Im going to get somebody to check out the materials and temperature resistance. Got anyone who can do this Chris?

Do you think this could be due to my high egt's? when cruising on the motorway at 70-80 mine are in the 800's?

Nah most commercial cars these days have a cruise Egt of between 700-800c. On a Impreza WRC the exhaust gas temps go over 1000c+ all the time and i have never seen a WRC turbo do this!

Ryan

Pics of new Borg Warner Turbo

Went for the S300sx 91/79 and got it from AET Turbos for a great price. Thanks Andy :thumbs: They are a european supplier for the BW units and carry all repair kits in stock. No messing about sending crap back to Precision!

Things that are different then for owners who have Precision or Garrett Units.

Firstly the V Band flange has to be modified if running a 3" downpipe as they normally come with 4" v bands. AET did this for me FOC.

Next the compressor outlet is 3" instead of the normal 2" 1/2

Lastly the oil feed fitting is 1/4 instead of 1/8npt

Here are some pics below of me fitting the unit.