The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have posted it before but it seems worthy of mention here, i contacted two very well known turbo re-builders in this country, one refused point blank to have anything to do with Precision turbos and the other was more forthcoming, they would not re-build Precision turbos due to the low quality (their words) of the turbo materials and construction, in the past they had many warranty claims on Precision units they re-built, so they took the decision to no longer re-build them

Garrett do a billet wheel (for their biggest turbos) but it doesn't offer any performance upgrade over the traditional cast wheel. The fact a wheel is billet makes no performance increase in itself, it's the fact the Precision billet wheel is a different design to the non-billet wheel

See here

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/news/race_updates/Garrett_Fully_Machined.html

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Garrett do a billet wheel but it doesn't offer any performance upgrade over the traditional wheel. The fact a wheel is billet makes no performance increase in itself, it's the fact the Precision billet wheel is a different design to the non-billet wheel

So effectively anyone wanting these performance upgrades will have to buy a precision turbo :(

Bugger. I've just sold my T61 and was looking at getting a billet precision turbo :(

It's not to say that's a bad decision. it's hard to get solid facts but IIRC there was maybe 50-100 rpms spool difference (how scientifically that was measured I have no idea).

I def wouldn't go into it with the mindset "I want a billet turbo" - just because it's billet. I wanted a T67 sized turbo & these were making good figures and I was planning on running as much boost as I could so figured there would be a small advantge in getting the best high boost T67 I could. Plus I am a sucker for having the "in" thing in turbos, take DBB, you pay extra for that & there is no way they are that much better than non-dbb.