The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant work bud, do you think it will help with top speed performance, & have you taken any timing stats before & after to see how it compares?

It'll help reduce top speed performance. If that's what you mean?

As you increase downforce, drag will pretty much always increase also. As a completely wild guess, plucking a figure from the air, I would say at a rate of 2:1 at best. So for every 2Kg's of downforce generated, add 1Kg of drag. This could probably be reduced with a full wind tunnel test programme but no-one will spend the ££££'s to do it.

Plus as the downforce increases, so will rolling resistance so the net difference to top speed is always going to be negative.

So it will increase top speed stability?

Maybe... :shrug:

Depends on where the centre of pressure ends up relative to the centre of gravity and the yaw centre. If the CoP ands up forward of the centre of gravity and the yaw centre of the car, then there's no reason why it might not make it very twitchy indeed.

This really is very much a R&D project. We'll need to do a fair amount of flow vis work, and most likely some further mods to it to try to make it work as well as it can.

No doubt it'll make downforce when it's at speed, but it's not as simple as that by a long long mile.

• 2 months later...

ive read the hole enchillada and it amazes me that you pulled this project to the end must have small army of good mates :-)

Is there any possibility to have a spec list posted (i understand it will be long) since there is more than me and the rest here that is going to want to copy choice bits and parts from your build!

Oh and good luck with the aerodynamics under the car that is some very hard stuff to get right.

Have you considered getting some university students involved in that since they have access to (if the right group can be found) the car manufacturers computers and R&D stuff.

Here were i live we have chalmers (gothenburg sweden) that help volvo and saab (dont know about konigsegg) some of the students are heavily involved in aerodynamics for cars and build racecars as part of their education and i do belive they even have windtunnel access.

Well after some hours reading the hat is off and cheering you and your team on!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Patrik

Sorry i missed this

The project is not finised yet, still working on the floor. Its alot more work than we first thought! We have had to move alot of stuff and had alot of new custom bits made.

Will get some updates up soon though

With regards to aero stuff i have a good friend who lives and breathes Aero. He has even now shaved his head to reduce drag on himself as he feels he can save energy when walking around!

Crazy i know!

ive read the hole enchillada and it amazes me that you pulled this project to the end must have small army of good mates :-)

Is there any possibility to have a spec list posted (i understand it will be long) since there is more than me and the rest here that is going to want to copy choice bits and parts from your build!

Oh and good luck with the aerodynamics under the car that is some very hard stuff to get right.

Have you considered getting some university students involved in that since they have access to (if the right group can be found) the car manufacturers computers and R&D stuff.

Here were i live we have chalmers (gothenburg sweden) that help volvo and saab (dont know about konigsegg) some of the students are heavily involved in aerodynamics for cars and build racecars as part of their education and i do belive they even have windtunnel access.

Well after some hours reading the hat is off and cheering you and your team on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the car..

As the winter months are certainly here i am starting to find a few days off where i can get the flat floor finished for next year.

Things i have done since last updating this thread...

Flat floor is now 75% done, just need to finish the rear diffuser now but we have been waiting on my new fuel tanks to be returned as during abit of testing we were finding some slight fuel surge so left the twin walbos in the tank and fitted an external 2litre swirl pot and a 044 to the -8 feed line.

Just need to order a OS Giken Diff now but as i have just brought a new home my budget has certainly changed....

But before buying the house i managed to grab a new engine for the car to lose abit more weight (around 70kg) and also abit more power.

A nice 4l v8 engine which is an alloy block and iron liners which i will be fitting 2 Spare VNT Garrett turbos too. I want full boost by 3000rpm :D

Got a very well made adaptor kit of Eric@TTC Performance, Thanks Mate!! and now just getting a custom flywheel made up to run a supra clutch.

Ryan

p.s My nikon D40 got ruined when over in Oz working so i will grab some pics soon when Steve brings his SLR in.

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Nice, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the V8, Soarer engine?

Indeed!

I know one with a t78 and syvecs fitted that on a stock engine has handled 1.3bar for 2 sessions round the ring, a session round spa and there and back. Thats with the stock HG also!!

But could be just a lucky engine so i will probably buy another and stick it on an engine dyno to see what it will actually do at AER.

Ryan

• 2 months later...
Is this car on the go still, or have you replaced it with your V8 TT?

Car is very much still mine. All that needs doing now is finishing the flat floor and then possiable swapping the engines around between the black v8 and the 2jz in this. All will come down to power to weight

Ryan

• 6 months later...

Just a head ups for people interested this car will be up for sale in a monthes time after i have finished having the rear diffuser copied.

Will also be taking it over to the hub dyno and turning the boost up on the BW 91/79 for 700bhp

True one off car and just needs someone who can drive it to its potential now

PM if interested

Why are you selling Ryan. Stunning example truely one off.

In the last year i have used it once mate! Im just far to busy now being part of Syvecsn to have cars like this :(

Seems pointless having a car like this sat in the garage and not doing anything.

New owner will have the joys of his picture in a very popular magazine as its wanted for another front cover shoot