The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

As promised took some pics of the custom gearbox support. You can clearly see how much more rake I needed to get it to line up properly with the bolt holes. Still not tried it on the car yet, been taking off the rear suspension in preparation for new units :)

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not updated in a while but a lot has been happening. No pics though sadly, as not much to photo. Oh, and sorry for long post.

Anyway, Ryan G put me in touch with a chap called Lyndon who has built my engine loom for the V8. He knows electrics like the back of his hand and spent no time at all splicing my engine into the old n/a loom. This means that all the previous supra electrics will work, and the harness simply plugs into the new link g3 ecu, and away we go. I can't tell how good it feels to have this part of the build underway.

Due to some parts not arriving from the states (and me forgetting to order injector plugs, d'oh!), we couldn't start her up. However, its about 95% done and so when Lyndon returns mid september, all will be ready to fire the beast.

The rear end fiasco has finally been sorted. New 6 speed driveshafts now mate up perfectly with 6 speed hubs, and new suspension arms both sides have been fitted. So apart from the diff it has new running gear all the way. The handling should be better too once its been given a full geometry setup due to new bushes and balljoints. New discs, pads and goodridge lines have also been fitted, and I'm currently cleaning and painting the calipers to match the interior colour - orange.

Yesterday, the car went to Enigmatec in Slough to have the custom exhaust fabricated. Suprash on here helped me out with transport (nice chap, recommended for this as he takes care loading and unloading). It'll probably take a while as they may have to make the flange thats mates the manifold to the downpipe, so the car is out of my hands for a bit. As soon as I get her back, I'll take some pics for you.

Till then....

• 1 month later...

Sorry for no updates on this, but sweet F A has happened since the exhaust shop drama (which some of may know about). Anyway, the crap came off the paint with a clay bar and plenty of elbow grease, it just needs a final go over by a pro to be perfect.

I've finally got Pat at Primary Designs to give me a quote and a date for doing the exhaust system (properly this time). He's a hard chap to get hold of but comes highly recommended by CW which is why I've persevered. So the car will (hopefully), be going in for this job in a few weeks. I may get them to do a whole system from the manifold back, as the manifolds I have already seem a little shoddy compared with what I could have on there. Pat and I will also discuss making some intake pipework when I deliver the car to him.

As for all else, well I've been working hard trying to get some more funds to complete the project. There is still lots to do, including the oil lines (and mounting the cooler), fuel lines, brake system bleeding, clutch line and setup, rad fans and rad installation, and final wiring up of the engine. Plus countless other jobs not least of all putting the whole interior back in! Still, I'll try and pull my finger out and get some more things done asap, and maybe a more interesting update.

He is hard to pin down, to be frank he only got back to you `cos I spoke to him the other day about something, he gets inundated with daft requests that come to nothing as he IS expensive and usually booked up in adavance. It's all but impossible to sort the time wasters from the real McCoy, so he has become difficult to pin down unless he's already done work for you. Nice way to be in a recession, isn't it? :) Whilst he'll have your trousers down on the price you can be sure it will be a thing of beauty and envy to others ;) Whilst "I have a Greddy Ti exhaust" has a certain cachet down the pub, "I had mine bespoke made by the people that make the exhausts for a lot of the current F1 grid" sounds better, huh? ;) Sadly such arrogance is tempered by the fact we can't actually afford a beer after going to them....

Sadly such arrogance is tempered by the fact we can't actually afford a beer after going to them....

Ha ha, yeah the affordability of anything non car related at the moment seems impossible, hence the overtime at work. The quote he gave me was actually similar to the one I had from Enigma-cock-up, so I think it may have been a blessing in disguise since the workmanship will be far superior.

Hello

Sorry you have had bad experiance having your exhaust made, I would recommend Lance at OJZ who did the manifold on our SC RB30 its a work of art and for the amount of effort that went into the manifold I dont think very expensive

Ooh, that does look good. However, I'm tied in with Primary Designs now, but thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

The car finally went to the exhaust chaps yesterday. Very nice bunch of lads and very professional outfit. I'll give you all the specs in a few weeks (hopefully), when I get her back, as there are a couple of options that need deciding on which will require some inspection first. One thing I do know is that the exit will be a 4 inch rolled in design, which fits quite nicely in the standard bumper cut out.

Hello

Sorry you have had bad experiance having your exhaust made, I would recommend Lance at OJZ who did the manifold on our SC RB30 its a work of art and for the amount of effort that went into the manifold I dont think very expensive

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091673.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091674.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091675.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/150420092259.jpg

That is a lovely looking installation, not seen that before, is there anywhere to read the specs or see some of the build? Thanks.

Quick update.

The car finally went to the exhaust chaps yesterday. Very nice bunch of lads and very professional outfit. I'll give you all the specs in a few weeks (hopefully), when I get her back, as there are a couple of options that need deciding on which will require some inspection first. One thing I do know is that the exit will be a 4 inch rolled in design, which fits quite nicely in the standard bumper cut out.

Glad you are back on track Ed. Looking forward to some more updates soon!

Glad you are back on track Ed. Looking forward to some more updates soon!

:yeahthat:

Keep your chin up Ed, this project seems to have turned into a real resolve tester, rather you than me.

In fact following this project has put me right off considering one of these installs!

I'm thinking Chevy, I'm thinking big ally block.

That was my first choice actually. At least you know the power will be good, tried and tested. My dad has a built 383 stroker smallblock thats pushing 475bhp. Its in a kit car at the moment but he's thinking of selling the car minus the lump. I'm gonna persevere with this build, but if things go truly bad I'll think about putting the chevy in it.

You should chat to rxv8 (I think?) on here. He put a SB chevy in his.

• 2 weeks later...