The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WARNING 15 year old brake line rotted through

paul mac

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Roger NE

Just looked at this old thread . . . .

I've always cleaned and undersealed my brake and fuel lines (where they are on the underside of the car) to reduce the chance of corrosion, so I'd recommend that

(I've always checked and topped up the underseal on the whole underside of the car every year anyway)

Incidentally, any sign of corrosion on a Brake Line is an MOT fail . . . . but on a Fuel Line it will only fail if it's actually leaking !

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE
This is behind a plastic cover so do you take the cover off to deal them?

Well the worst area is around the rear of the car - important to properly clean and spray those

In terms of the ones that run from front to rear in the plastic trunking, I usually just spray through the slots

• 5 months later...
Yes, I'm from Latvia, but it doesn't matter, Car is 93. J-Spec NA. I'm converting it right now to LHD and need to replace front brake lines. I forgot at home a sample to show in parts store.

Yer sorry my question referred to going to halfords. Not sure they are in Latvia.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Just noticed an oil patch by rear left wheel. When I checked under car, it looks like all 5 pipes are past there best.

What size copper pipe have people been fitting for brakes and fuel? What size are the male ends used? As thinking of having a go at making my own.

Just been down to local toyota.

Brake pipes

T47327-14030 £46.78

T47326-14040 £39.55

T47328-14030 £17.68

Fuel lines

T77251-14420 £27.70

T77255-14420 £50.07

+vat

Not sure why one of the fuel lines is twice as much as other. Just hope there the right ones.

Thanks alex and thomo, I remember going to kwick fit last year and the man said ill replace them with copper, I know people do this a lot with standard cars wasn't sure about on a sports car. Do some garages give club member discounts I remember reading we did a long time ago but some people have been refused recently.

• 1 month later...

this may sound odd but this is why you have yearly mot's, so things like this won't happen, surely your brake pipes were advised during the last mot test? as brake pipes don't just suddenly go from fine to rotten/splitting open within a year. they can sit rusty for years before splitting/bursting.

I done one of the pipes on monsween's supra a few years ago, they are really simple on a supra and took half an hour ish. a simple flaring tool for £10 and a roll of pipe £7-8 plus a top up of fluid should do the trick, new nuts are an option too but if you're stuck you can use the old ones.

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Just to give this a bump DO CHECK YOURS! Fitted caliper today, all good, drove it out of garage to jack it up and fit exhaust, fuel leaking onto existing exhaust :blink:

Surprise surprise under the plate listed above corroded fuel return line, and as stated above all the rest that is visible looks fine. Brake lines are ok.

PS does the blanking/cover plate really need refitting as it'll cause the same prob again? Or is it a necessary evil to stop random stones hitting it?

• 3 months later...

Brake pipes

T47327-14030 £46.78

T47326-14040 £39.55

T47328-14030 £17.68

Fuel lines

T77251-14420 £27.70

T77255-14420 £50.07

+vat

Not sure why one of the fuel lines is twice as much as other. Just hope there the right ones.

Just dropped my Supra off to the garage to have new braided brake lines all round..., my mechanic noticed my fuel line is leaking slightly, after removing the plastic cover the fuel lines are corroded & also need replacing.

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Brake pipes

T47327-14030 £46.78

T47326-14040 £39.55

T47328-14030 £17.68

Fuel lines

T77251-14420 £27.70

T77255-14420 £50.07

+vat

Most of these are now discontinued. Does anyone know the od and id of the fuel and brake lines as they now need to be fabricated.

Update - Steve Manley at Toyota Oxford has managed, according to a call to me today, to source a complete set of the four main front to back fuel and brake pipes. This is likely to be one of the last complete sets so anyone looking to do this at some point in the future with OE parts has a short time to actually source the OE parts.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

• 1 year later...