The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WARNING 15 year old brake line rotted through

paul mac

Have to say that plastic covers over brake lines is asking for trouble in the long term, seen it happen to the g/f's last clio where the cover held onto all the crud. I guess the makers put them there to stop stone chip erosion under the floor pans but cant think why they're needed at the back. Heat from the exhaust wouldnt have helped either.

Lucky escape mate, good post too i'll be checking mine.

Thats frightening, lucky you were going slow, bet everyones under their cars right now.

i really hope so fella, i have found another rotten patch as well which i'll get a pic of tommorow and its not just the brake pipes its the fuel pipes as well directly above a hot exhaust :(

They look quite buggered :( Was that area a water trap?

By the way folks, hawking things for sale unbidden in a tech thread is likely to annoy me :) Only offer if there is a relevant "who can supply this" question from a punter. And even then try and offer the right parts ;)

-Ian

If it is of any use here is a breakdown of the EPC of the brake lines and fittings. How much of a mare will they be to replace ?

Col the drawing doesn't look right as its only showing a single line to the back whereas there should be two, i have used copper/nickel tube (slightly more expensive but a lot better than pure copper) rather than go to Mr T, probably worked out about £20 for both the backs,however its not a job for the faint hearted as you need to do some serious crawling (x4 axle stands)around under the car and you need the correct flaring tool (borrowed from work) as well, but my car was at my house and i did not want to pay to get it transported to a garage and also run the risk of the monkeys with the transporter smashing my car up getting it on and off, if your lines look ropey i would defo get a quote from a garage

Col the drawing doesn't look right as its only showing a single line to the back whereas there should be two, i have used copper/nickel tube (slightly more expensive but a lot better than pure copper) rather than go to Mr T, probably worked out about £20 for both the backs,however its not a job for the faint hearted as you need to do some serious crawling (x4 axle stands)around under the car and you need the correct flaring tool (borrowed from work) as well, but my car was at my house and i did not want to pay to get it transported to a garage and also run the risk of the monkeys with the transporter smashing my car up getting it on and off, if your lines look ropey i would defo get a quote from a garage

Yep my bad bud. see attached instead

brake lines.jpg

Unfortunately this is a problem on most cars of a similar age. Recently we have changed all hard brake and fuel lines on our RB25/200SX there was corrosion at every carrier point on all lines. The plastic cover used on the MKIV obviously hid this problem from view as those pipes needed changing ages ago. From what I recall MOT requires pipes to have at least 2/3 of their original diameter. This is one area, where I believe the MOT is too lenient.

I will certainly be checking my MKIV lines, and looking at a way to add a spacer between the pipes and the plastic cover, to reduce the likelihood of future corrosion.

Just a fitting tip for any one contemplating making up their own lines, I use a length of 2.5 live or neutral copper wire with the insulation in place, to create new lines to the correct shape for the route.

Your experience was a timely reminder to us all.

Paul sorry to pester you but seeing as you are under the car recently and doing the change. Could you look at the epc image and tell me what parts in that little lot you would say are worth changing ?

thanks

Colin

Col

i am making my own but to the epc drawing i am changing all the rears, that is 47321, 47322 and 47323, i have not had a serious look at the fronts but what i can see they look fine and just to mention what suprasuzuki said i am also changing the fuel lines as well as they have possibly more corrosion than the brake line :(, finally just to emphasise to people my car is a very pampered no expense spared in its maintenance pet that has never spent a night outside its heated garage in the last 7 years so get these lines checked fellas

Good call on the sticky Ian/Paul, this certainly needs to be checked on a few more 'older' supra's to see if others are seeing similar corrosion.

Added to list of things to check on Dudes car at the weekend! Will post pics if anything interesting turns up.

• 2 months later...
Guest DaveWilko

One of my brake pipes failed mot at that point but I had both pipes replaced. Its not a job for the faint-hearted and a car lift would make it a lot easier. There are some tight turns and the garage had to pull a new pipe off and completely start again due to a kink in the pipe they had almost finished installing.

• 4 months later...
Guest dangerousandy

this happend to me after the Ace cafe meet! Ive fixed it now with a new toyota pipe (£38inc VAT) but now my fuel pipe has burst :(

I’ve also had a leak in the same place. I noticed a strong smell of fuel and just thought the car may have been running rich. But one day I was standing behind my car (1994 UK Spec TT by the way) talking to a mate of mine when I noticed a drip. At closer inspection it turned out the fuel line had corroded behind the plastic cover and was dripping onto the back box. The brake line had also started to corrode. The scary thing is, the car pasted its MOT 3 weeks before. It turns out, during an MOT they are not meant to take things apart it’s a visual inspection only and because the pipes run behind that small cover they never picked up on it. Luckily I managed to get a new flow pipe, return pipe and brake line from Toyota for £99 which I didn’t think was that bad. But I will warn anyone if you do plan on replacing these pipes with ones from Toyota, they come pre-shaped so you have to drop everything from under the car to gain full access from the front to the back of the car.

I’m just glad it was the fuel line that gave way first and not the brake line. So defiantly worth checking.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Whilst it is scary, I had the same issue in my MA70, and whilst the pedal does as you say go straight to the floor, you still have braking enough to dust off any reasonable speed (not to say that Supras really motivate reasonable speeds) doing the hard pipes is something that's incomprehensibly overlooked. But as you can imagine it's now one of my new buy jobs along with the cambelts and braided hoses.

I think its too easy to get into hypebole and paranoia, just take and inspection light to it everytime you check the pads and do the full length of the hardpipes. 30 minutes boredom that can save you a lot of money.

And it's piss cheap to replace them, you just need a roll of pipe and a flare tool. Shouldn't take more than an hour a corner.

Edited by Calorus (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

im kinda new to the whole cars thing and in no way mechanically minded (yet).. but reading this, im concerned.. is this basically saying the pipe, which protects the break / fuel line corroded away in this instance, making the lines vulnerable to damage? sorry if this is a dumb question.