The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WARNING 15 year old brake line rotted through

paul mac

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this same issue on my car luckily off the road for a ground up restoration.

I would just like to point out that my lines looked absolutely fine from front to back, until I removed the plastic cover on the rear cross member. When you check yours make sure you have the cover removed!

These are a few pics I took whilst under the car, sorry for the quality (iPhone) these are with the subframe removed.

IMG_0400[1].jpg

IMG_0401[1].jpg

IMG_0402[1].jpg

IMG_0399[1].jpg

Edited by Maxx (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I would just like to point out that my lines looked absolutely fine from front to back, until I removed the plastic cover on the rear cross member. When you check yours make sure you have the cover removed!

The same on my 16year old UK SUPE. 16 years of salty winter roads and the pipes looked fine until you removed the plastic cover on the rear cross member.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to replace my brake lines - I was just going to inspect them but I thought that I might as well replace the lines given the amount of work and access needed to do a proper inspection.

Surprisingly enough, my brake line looks OK where it crosses between the rear subframe and the fuel tank. It's the fuel return that is the worrying one here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115048&stc=1&d=1281470892

Looks like I'll be replacing the fuel lines as well! For future reference, the car is an import, 17 years old. It was imported when it was 10 years old. Elsewhere, the lines look fine, just a light dusting of a white powder like in the picture.

P1020343.JPG

• 8 months later...

A bit of an old thread revival here I know... however my NA supra has developed a fuel leak due to this issue; is the only way to fix it to install a whole new line from front to back? Is it not possible to cut the pipe past the area of corrosion and put in a union so that you just replace the rear section?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest civictyper2004

I think i may have been struck by this too. Got to check it out tonight but there is what i believe to be brake fluid leaking out just to the left hand side of the driver side rear wheel. Luckily i noticed it last night and didnt get half way down the motorway before i found out about it - its coming out quickly too - got a nice tub full of fluid under the car now lol.

Smells like brake fluid as well, not petrol. If its petrol im draining the tank before i lose it all, its expensive dont you know lol.

• 9 months later...

Great thread, I will be checking mine next time Im at my garage. And replacing anything that looks remotely corroded

Im guessing one of the main contributing factors to whether or not this will happen on your car, is if it was a JDM import from the north of the island (lots of road salt in winter) or driven alot on UK salted roads.

I would be very interested to know if someone who owns a USDM version, living in texas, has any signs of corrosion on their lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ohh man ill be looking at this next time i go under my car..

Question, where do you get the break lines and fuel lines from?

Mister T does not have them where im from :(

Get a coil of copper brake pipe with the correct fittings and a brake pipe flaring tool

and make your own, very easy to do once youve got the flaring tool

Have a look on ebay as theres bound to be kits etc on there

• 1 month later...

just checked mine and it looked very rusty... put slight pressure on the line and it started leaking!! get checking them lines people

bk4.jpg

just brought both rear lines form toyota at a cost of £95.... cant ba arsed to buy a copper line... flare kit and sit underneath making my own

Edited by D8MOA (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

this is why you should keep more of an eye on your 20 year old motor fella :D

this is scary stuff fellas, my next big brake would have been exiting the M6 at Lancaster (post house) where i tend to leave it late, for anyone who knows this turn off its VERY tight and VERY unforgiving, to be honest i am now after the event just realising how serious this could have been

• 3 months later...