TOTB7 (2008) - Sunday 27th July, Elvington Airfield

tDR

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What were your times across the day Jay?

My 1/4's were all over the place, 13.1, 14.x, 12.9, 13.0, I only did 2 handling runs, 1st one I completely cocked up & went off the circuit (I couldn't follow the cone track - Wez did this too :D) so my time was 1:11, the next one was 53.46, that was it for me, it was hard work getting a lot of runs in having to let the car cool after each run & with the queues

Good day and great to meet up with people, wow was it hot though, not good for the cars.

My results are :-

1/4

Run 1 13.57 2.600 115mph

Run 2 12.80 2.110 114mph (best time)

Run 3 13.09 2.290 111mph

Run 4 13.18 2.390 111mph

Run 5 13.19 2.490 112mph

Run 6 13.89 2.600 112mph

Top Speed

145.9mph 24.09secs (backed off as EGT hitting 980deg)

Circuit

Run 1 1.05.594

Run 2 1.03.750

Run 3 57.218 (best time)

I was gutted I didnt get my last two circuit runs in as my times were coming down pretty quick, I didnt realise the circuit timing shut at 3pm :(

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out today :thumbs:

Crikey, the cars were really suffering under the heat today :blink:

Excellent time from Michel, 11s is a very nice barrier to break :)

Shame about your times Wez, I'd really have expected a lot more on the qtr's. They're the same sort of terminals my BPU was getting on goodyear F1's :blink: What's that all about :search:

Shame about your times Wez, I'd really have expected a lot more on the qtr's. They're the same sort of terminals my BPU was getting on goodyear F1's :blink: What's that all about :search:

:innocent: I cant launch I think is the simple answer, my ETs are pretty bad as you can see :D

I did try lowering the pressure but it got worse so I put some back in, I kept spinning up.

:innocent: I cant launch I think is the simple answer, my ETs are pretty bad as you can see :D

I did try lowering the pressure but it got worse so I put some back in, I kept spinning up.

Drag racing isn't your thing, you have a proper fast car not a one trick pony :D

It's a huge shame to hear that some of the cars suffered with the conditions today, especially Lee and Kev's cars :( Hopefully they can get them back running for the rest of the season.

I think the heat was a major killer today, I even felt my car bog down in 2nd and its never done that before as 2nd is normally brutal, just way too hot.

Next time round I would deff try some race gas though, VP import is the stuff apparently.

shame I could not be there, it sounded like a good day.

michel your 1/4 are very impressive! I have seen you launch that thing, and was in awe, but I have also seen you drive round a track also ;)

Sounds like some serious cars there this year.. a 9 sec 1/4 from rwd?? wow.

well done everyone, good to hear the mkiv sprit was strong!

Yeah it was a really good 'club' day and as Michel said worth pointing out the club is paying for the food and drinks (Michel & Jay kindly provided some too - thanks guys!) along with the BBQ's and Gazebo etc that gave us welcome relief from the vicious sun! :)

I really think the secret to TOTB is decent fuel and tyres. For me that means 106 or over RON and tyres wise the one to be on there is the MT ET Drag Radials.

Cheers,

Brian.

For me this year was just to get a taster of what it was going to be like, if I did it again I would probably take it a bit more seriously, 19" rims didn't seem to be the best for launching. Maybe next time I'd get some 17's with as Brian says some MTs (oh & lots of practice).

I also think it is a great benefit to be able to "handle the heat" on days like that. I think a cold air box for the filter, better ducting of the FMIC & maybe another set of fans on the FMIC would have helped (also wish I'd taken the headlight out for the 1/4 run).

I really felt for you guys yesterday. There is a large expanse of concrete out side the work shop, where I was working on my car, the heat was almost unbearable. I hate to think what charge, water and oil temps you must have had. Just the wrong conditions to be running high boost. I am sorry to hear that two engines gave up, I hope the repairs are not too expensive. Well done to those who made it to the end. Congratulations to Michel, great 1/4 time especially in the heat.

After thinking about this some more I think I have realised what was causing my low terminals. I never went up into 5th as I always held it in 4th to cross the line near my redline.

As I have a small turbo my torque is much lower down, I should have got into 5th, I will try this theory at SupraPod.

The same for the top speed except I held it in 5th.

Really good seeing all you guys yesterday :) Really felt for you though as said above it was sooooo HOT :( Must say it was very impressive seeing your 'Street' cars going up against some of the fastest race built cars in the UK! I overheard someone on the Subaru pit area saying that one of the cars had over 100k worth of investment in it :blink:

Anyway I tried to get as many videos of you guys as possible but unfortunately the crowds were quite large anyway heres some of the ones I did get :)

ENVY:

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/robwild/?action=view&current=Envy.flv

JAY: (really sorry about the quality just couldn't get to the front :( )

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/robwild/?action=view&current=Jay.flv

MICHEL:

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/robwild/?action=view&current=Michelrun.flv

Sorry about Lee and Envy :( Hope you guys get it sorted soon :)

Well done again guys :) As said above Great club spirit! (cheers for the can of coke :D)

Was too hot for me, we left about 15:30 I think, I had a stinking headache.

Apologies I didn't get more chance to speak to people, I chatted to Michel briefly and was going to come speak to you and JJ later but think you were busy doing runs at the time. Good to see you again, and that car of yours is awesome :)

I at least met TDR now, although I never really got to speak to you.

Sorry I didn't get chance to speak to Wez! I saw one of your runs on the handling track... the one where the commentator said he thought you'd forgotten to set your GPS ;)

Never met Jay either, whenever we passed the Supra area again you seemed to be out on another run.

Spoke to Gaz Walker briefly, but not Kev, he was busy sorting out issues with the car so I didn't interrupt other than to say hello.

Spoke to RedM and Rob Sheffield as usual (I still want a passenger ride when that car's done Rob! ;)), but I never even saw Michael all day! I reckon he was avoiding me.

I'd not been to the last couple of years so don't know when they introduced those new barrier things at the sides of the drag racing track, but they were crap and meant you could only see the top of the car, so I didn't bother trying to take many action shots. Will post some photo's later though.

Never saw the big van thing run, and never saw the RS200 either, did that even show up?

Sorry I didn't get chance to speak to Wez! I saw one of your runs on the handling track... the one where the commentator said he thought you'd forgotten to set your GPS ;)

:lol: that will teach me for going crazy on my first lap, I had no idea where the track was :lol:

Never met Jay either, whenever we passed the Supra area again you seemed to be out on another run.

I'd not been to the last couple of years so don't know when they introduced those new barrier things at the sides of the drag racing track, but they were crap and meant you could only see the top of the car, so I didn't bother trying to take many action shots. Will post some photo's later though.

Aye never got to meet you Michael, next time ;)

My mate at work said the same thing about those barriers, i sometimes think the organises don't give a damn about the spectators there, I may £5 for a beerburger & £2 for a bottle of warm pop, I mean come on!!!

Spoke to RedM and Rob Sheffield as usual (I still want a passenger ride when that car's done Rob! ;)), but I never even saw Michael all day! I reckon he was avoiding me.

At one point the three of us were sat in Michael's Zafira enjoying air-conditioned comfort. You walked past, Michael sounded the horn, but you carried on walking.

As usual I left TOTB with mixed feelings. Happy with my 177.3mph over 1000m but was disapointed to leave the event with a broken car. The weather was exceptionally hot and brutal for high powered engines.

Things were just looking up, was 3rd in the overall top speed challenge and was only 5mph of the then leader so decided to go out for another run as I was sure I could find the extra 5mph after doing the 1/4 in 13 seconds on the previous run. Unfortuntly it was'nt to be and it looks like i have at least bent a valve.

Congrats to the other drivers who represented the Supra comunity very well.

I think after 5 years of representing the Supra comunity at TOTB this will also be my last year event. The sound regulations were a real pain and I really feel this event is just not right for high power rwd cars. There's just no traction, the more power you have the less grip you tend to get. Despite trying numerous setups and techniques over the years I still can't get the power down and tend to drift the quarter mile spining in every gear!

Hopefully I can get the car fixed within the next 2 weeks for rotor stock for the next round of the HKS drag series.