Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

old school chevy

575 Pounds = 260.81561 Kilograms...all iron block and heads sbc

525 Pounds = 238.13599 Kilograms...all iron block with ali heads sbc

500 pounds = 227 kilograms...all iron block with ali heads/intake and carb

new school supra

311 kgs= 685 pounds supra 2jz

so sbc is 85kgs/185 pounds lighter than the 2jz...would 185 pounds lighter make the car much quicker???i would say yes,but would it be a lot or a little???

185 pounds off the car = about a second off an Oulton Park lap time, in a MKIV so it's a VERY big difference, like removing an adult passenger. Even better that passenger was under the bonnet adding unwanted front end weight bias.

Now that looks good :D You're really making progress!

The engine sits a little higher than I was expecting to see, but then again the gbox is tucked up nicely within the trans tunnel

Just a couple fo Q's if you don;t mind:

How is the allignment of the box output shaft to the diff looking? It seems to be much higher than the v160, so am curious how you're mounting the prop and diff.

Are you adding a bonnet scoop for the intake? It's going to need a pretty large filter for than motor so are you doing the traditional one on top of the carb with a Ram-air type scoop?

Misalignment with the g/box output shaft sitting higher or lower than the diff pinion shaft isn't a real problem, so long as they are near as damn it parallel to one another. The diff nose angle could be altered quite easily on the top mounts, so shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm about a year behind Nigel so have a LOT to learn.

Did you get custom exhaust manifolds made, or did they come as part of a kit?

That was my next question :D

ANSWERS

The engine sits a little higher than I was expecting to see, but then again the gbox is tucked up nicely within the trans tunnel

it physically cant sit any lower as the sump at the front has no tollerance for re shaping due to the cranks sitting close to the inside...also remember the intake is a edel victor junior race manifold...so it has very large runners and also sits the carb a lot higher than usual so the valves get a serious gulp of air when they open...if the inatake manifold was changed to a low style would prob be able to get 3" lower...

How is the allignment of the box output shaft to the diff looking? It seems to be much higher than the v160, so am curious how you're mounting the prop and diff....

daryl pic is deceving also the supra prop is 2 piece,and the new one is about 2" shorter than stock...same anle etc etc

Are you adding a bonnet scoop for the intake? It's going to need a pretty large filter for than motor so are you doing the traditional one on top of the carb with a Ram-air type scoop?

dont know yet......:D

Where does the gear lever come out in relation to the hole in the bodyshell, does it need cranking or otherwise furtling about with?

hi chris...will get some shots n sat for you from the side,it sits roughly 1/2-1 bank over the end of the turret central...

gear lever came 1.5" further forward,but i dont know if thats cos the car was auto before and the hole may have been different to a manual,or whether the t56 is shorter or longer that a getrag supra box but will make a kick back on the shifter...

How is the allignment of the box output shaft to the diff looking? It seems to be much higher than the v160, so am curious how you're mounting the prop and diff.

it physically cant sit any lower as the sump at the front has no tollerance for re shaping due to the cranks sitting close to the inside...also remember the intake is a edel victor junior race manifold...so it has very large runners and also sits the carb a lot higher than usual so the valves get a serious gulp of air when they open...if the inatake manifold was changed to a low style would prob be able to get 3" lower...

daryl pic is deceving also the supra prop is 2 piece,and the new one is about 2" shorter than stock...same angle etc etc

dont know yet......:D

Guest tinker-27

hi nigel found the thread ! good to see people are more open minded on this fourm that the rx7 one, to help answer a few of the questions,t56 gearboxes are available with different gear lever positions so one with it further back is posible,the prop is actually slightly lower than the toyota but not much and has been shimmed down,the car sit nice on the suspension looks like the std spring will be ok, a lsx based conversion would work if a little more money but they are straight forward as box already on the motor, cheers craig

for anyone interested tinker27 (craig) made the engine/gearbox mounts and custom prop for me,as i wanted it mounted in the right place,this is why i had this part of my v8 swap done by a proffesional...as you can see by the pics,the quality is fantastic...cheers