rxv8

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

homer you need to decide what engine you want to use mate

To be honest I'm not worried about having to add a big scoop (4-6inchs is inevitable), what I really don't want is to have the carb and air filter sitting 12inchs above the bonnet.

Homer, why not build a big block and forget the supercharger stuff, it would be way simpler. Even building 8 litre plus engines is quite straightforward these days, and the torque of such a thing would make adding positive boost pretty redundant :)

It would be a nice thing to try but it's not at all the engine for this build. The engine must be light and be able to rev a little.

I was offered a bbc last week for next to nothing, but thats not a route I want to take. Plus I don't think a 454 would fit between the towers!

To be honest I'm not worried about having to add a big scoop (4-6inchs is inevitable), what I really don't want is to have the carb and air filter sitting 12inchs above the bonnet.

It would be a nice thing to try but it's not at all the engine for this build. The engine must be light and be able to rev a little.

I was offered a bbc last week for next to nothing, but thats not a route I want to take. Plus I don't think a 454 would fit between the towers!

There's very little extra width between a SBC and a BBC, I swapped out an LT1 SBC for a 427 BBC in my `70 Vette years ago, and was amazed how little change the was to inner wing clearances.

homer dude,the only way the carb and filter will be 12" above the bonnet is if you have a weiland blower...lol...

how do you like my scoop...???thats got to be max of 2.5" to the front of the air filter...as i siad many times matey,call me up and come rond and have a look...:D:p

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SkylineUSA

What is your cam? Sounds like a 110 LSA.

I can's way to hear a good clip of the car outside. Inside the garage, you can really get a good taste of the sound it makes.

Very nice:D

?????????/fully running??? i have done 500 miles in the last 3 weeks,its def running,had the timing checked at last after the low dyno figure...had to get hold of an msd timing light as could not get a reading from normal gun...was at 2 degrees advanced and is supposed to be 6-8 degrees advanced,also wired up rev counter now,and i think we were only reving to pron 4.5-5k as its so loud its hard to judge the rpm...feels a lot livlier now just got to fine tune the carb if i was being picky...

Sorry for asking!! :blink:

There hadn't been any updates apart from the video of it in the garage so had no idea it was actually driveable already.

Anyway, as it's running I was interested in your opions on the performance and handling do far. How does the overall performance compare to the NA (or even a TT), what about power delivery? Is the handling compromised much without having the suspension setup for the new weight distribution? etc.

just tireddddddddd dude...i thought people knew the car was on the road...ermmmmmmm the suspension,i have standard shocks and lowered springs is very very good,cornering seems as good as when it was n/a,although i have not ben pushing the car hard,as we all know what supras can be like if shown no respect...lol...power delevery is a hard one,being 6 speed i can be in 6th at say 2k,put my foot down a bit and its like being in 3rd when it was n/a...1 st is a waste of time,pulls of lights in second no problem although its a bad habit of mine...i think i can gain about 40-50 hp with playing with carb jts etc etc...but as she is is fast eogh for me to be honest...as i never intended to build it for a drag car,just some fun and looks of the supra but with 8 track sounds..........damn its loud but also awesome....

i am quite tempted to paint the rest of the car satin black and leave the wheels gloss...whats your thought people,homer...

the other thing i will add is as its solid mounted virtually so no engine rock etc etc,you know you have driven it as it is so loud and on the edge of your seat drive...so maybe consider that as a supra is normally fairly refined...BUT its sure worth it...not that my neighbours thing so...:(

Guest SkylineUSA

Too loud for me:)

That cam is fukcin huge. What is the mpg, gotta be under 15 I would think.

Why did you go so big, a 276ish would have been a lot better for the street, is yours a roller or flat?

The engine I am building is going to be a XE264HR-12ish (actually a custom, but very close in spec), in a 302 and should put down the same power once yours is tuned, but I will get over 25mpg. The power of a good Ford engine:p

Some people have no idea what it takes do a car like this, I do.

Great job, man!

I like the satin black, its different and not over used. I might do one of my GTR V8 the same way:D

What is your 1st gear ratio, over 3.XX?

Edited by SkylineUSA (see edit history)

Guest SkylineUSA

Nigel,

I just saw your for sale post?

74cc heads, what is your comp ratio, I see some mistakes in the engine build, hence the power level. It should be putting down 450/450ish right now, but that is also dependent on your CR, timing, cam timing, fuel, etc. Who built your engine? You have a bunch of great parts, but its the marriage that counts when they are all together.

Nitrous loves compression, your engine is much better for boost applications(sp).

Tony

Guest SkylineUSA

Do you have any forged internals, I can't seem to find anything that talks about your rotating assembly.

Hows the clutch, is it streetable, or barely streetable? When I build my drive train, I like to make the clutch the weakest link, it saves a lot of other parts, if you know what I mean.

I seen you only have a borla xr-1 mufler, OMFG those are crap for sound deadening, that is another reason the car is LOUD. Do you have drone (exhaust hum) at motorway speeds?

I might be interested in your car:)

I am not aloud to post in the for sale section:(

Edited by SkylineUSA (see edit history)

Guest SkylineUSA

What revs are you turning at 70mph? What is the rear gear ratio? What size tires are on that BEAST. Any issues with that custom drive shaft, ie out of balance at high speeds?

Guest SkylineUSA
SkylineUSA, you ask some really pertinent questions, you've been there before, haven't you ;)?

I tinker a bit :eyebrows:

couple of pics from the hot rod show in billing on sunday...went down well with people...

bought a new inlet aswell edelbrock rpm dual plane so will be like driving a bentley when fitted compared to the choppy race inlet manifold,then back to the dyno as rev counter etc wired up also...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/rxv8/P5310326.jpg

Nice car, but why do these shows always seem to have attendees that look like they are looking for the nearest mobile soup kitchen? No wonder the English have a bad name abroad, Jeez..... :) I'm no picture of sartorial elegance, but these show lot are something else....

To add to that I think the bloke closest to the camera just Sh*t himself looking at that engine! :D