The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra v8 project...

rxv8

Guest SkylineUSA
tony why would you say that,,i have seen plenty of kits like this one for the ai filter,even spectre make one,for carb engines...i agree with the csu,a mate has one on an f2 procharger chevy...and the majority of advice in the states is that it wil be fine as it will draw as much air as it needs,as its n/a tony,oh and there is cold air vents in both corners...i like even if no one else does...if it does not work i can change it ...;)

if you stuck a pancake air filter on top that would loose power then as its enclosed in a hot engine...i dought it as many people run those i just wanted to be different...

It will work, of course, but to be a true ram air it should have the inlets at the high pressure zone. Cowl inductions are built because at speed there are low pressure zone there. So if you were to make yours a cowl induction bonnet, like mine, a pancake filter would work great in your application. But, like the guys in the states told you, it will work. I am probably spiltting hairs, but if you could find away to put your inlets in the front of the car, the ram air would give you a better effect.

Cold air vents are great, but it is the funneling effect that you really want, that is what will creat more power, specially on a N/A.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

didny look hard enough to be honest jay...besides that i had all the bits...i forgot how noisy twin plate clutches were...til i pulled her out garage...still at least it will hold large hp if it gets upgraded to a charger or turbo at some stage...

• 2 weeks later...

i have re done the bonnet now,as it was getting zapped by power with the small blower hat as i have big valve ali heads,they need quite a bit of air to keep happy...bought the edelbrock air filter,chopped the bonnet about and i think its come out real nice..and really different...and it goes much much better now@)@)

Nice work :)

How far pround is the new filter from the stock level of the bonnet? Do you have a tall intake manifold?

I'm getting a big concerned about using a carb motor now as a suitable intake manifold, supercharger, carb and air filter is going to end up need some sort of Pro Street intake :blink:

A supercharger, even on a V8, does not necessarily have to be atop the engine :) look how Mercedes packaged things in the AMG SL55 for example. I think a big block Chevy 1970's Corvette scoop moulded onto a stock bonnet would look OK and give very adeqaute clearance for a tall air cleaner element and lid.

Nice work :)

How far pround is the new filter from the stock level of the bonnet? Do you have a tall intake manifold?

I'm getting a big concerned about using a carb motor now as a suitable intake manifold, supercharger, carb and air filter is going to end up need some sort of Pro Street intake :blink:

homer you need to decide what engine you want to use mate,because if it needs to come out the bonnet a bit then thats what has to happen...the engine can only go in one place in the bay...and thats the RIGHT place,where the weight disribution and centre is...even if you use an ls1 at the very least you will need t take of the underbonet strengthening bars...i could probably get the inatke manifold swapped and the carb a bit lower so it all went under the hood line...BUT with no air filter,and would prob lose 60 hp,as i would have to use a pony low mount manifold...

personally i think whats the point in having a tuned sbc that cant breath or perform...NONE...just forget the idea of having it all under the bonnet...if you want under the bonnet it migt aswell be a 305 standard engine...if you get my point...

Edited by rxv8 (see edit history)

A supercharger, even on a V8, does not necessarily have to be atop the engine :) look how Mercedes packaged things in the AMG SL55 for example. I think a big block Chevy 1970's Corvette scoop moulded onto a stock bonnet would look OK and give very adeqaute clearance for a tall air cleaner element and lid.

Yup, a lot of the LSx ones are side mount although i think most of them are not charged cooled like my top mount SC.

This is a sidemount on a holden VT2

451717-3.jpg