The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hulk Hogan's Son in bad accident

Jason

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 year olds and high performance cars just don't mix.

Think its any age group to be honest, when i 1st had my mkiv i was 30 odd yrs old and almost did the same, only by luck my car missed everything somehow and ended up on a grass bank with no damage to anything apart from me needing several cigarettes and some performance driving lessons.

Too many of us think we can drive these cars but the truth is too many of us cant.

I personally think saying '17 and high power doesn't mix' is a generalization, along the same lines as saying a pensioner in a supra doesn't mix. I've met some 17 yr old drivers (professionally) who would be more controlling in a car than most people. eg. Lewis Hamilton, he was 17 at some stage wasn't he?? (that is just an example, as the people I knew were touring car drivers)...

Its a horrific crash and incredible they both got out alive, although the passenger is seriously ill. It does say a lot for the cabin having kept its integrity and protected the passengers.....but the height the steering wheel ended up! yay!

He was really getting into the drifting scene over there, takes skill, that. Doubt he would have lost control, more likely hit a greasy patch oil etc.

Praying the passenger pulls through :(

Lx

On a technical but serious note.. The car looks like it was an aerotop car. The car seems to have folded around the middle, would this be a possible weakness in the aerotop?

I'd have thought so, remove the roof and a big chunk of shell strength is lost even with extra chassis stiffening.

On a technical but serious note.. The car looks like it was an aerotop car. The car seems to have folded around the middle, would this be a possible weakness in the aerotop?

may be an idea to start strengthening the aerotop shells. However, looks like he hit a tree side on so that may happen to a hardtop. Prayers with his family

17 year olds and high performance cars just don't mix.

Having read most of the thread on Supra Forum, it seems like Nick (the driver) is a professional Nopi Drifter....so has the skills to drive and control a car.

Perhaps its best to leave out the judgement of who is in the right or wrong for the time being and hope that both of them (drive + passenger who is in a bad state) come out OK.

Some of the comments on Supra Forum are disgraceful, probably due to jealousy

may be an idea to start strengthening the aerotop shells. However, looks like he hit a tree side on so that may happen to a hardtop. Prayers with his family

Tell me about it.... The upper strength of the hardtop would possibly help keep the back end integral to the car.

My shopping list for my vvti aerotop has just had the rollcage moved to the top... I've always known the aerotops were a compromise, but seeing that has made me realize that perhaps a bit power in an aerotop might require some help.

He hit the worst possible tree too a palm tree those buggers are designed to take hurricanes and have no give to them at all :(

If he hit it backwards then im not really sure what a roll cage would do in those circumstances, perhaps it would have lessened the crushing effect like in the pics :search:

Having read most of the thread on Supra Forum, it seems like Nick (the driver) is a professional Nopi Drifter....so has the skills to drive and control a car.

Perhaps its best to leave out the judgement of who is in the right or wrong for the time being and hope that both of them (drive + passenger who is in a bad state) come out OK.

Some of the comments on Supra Forum are disgraceful, probably due to jealousy

Having seen his "drifting" in the viper/cobra I would disagree.....money buys a lot of things, skill isn't one of them!

That said, I hope everyone walks away ok in the end. Prayers for the passenger.

That has nothing to do with any short comings of the aerotop, you hit a tree at any moderate to high speed it was always going to crumple anyway and the tree win.

Also remember the end pictures of the car will be after the fireman have cut and moved bits, I.e the dash and steering wheel will of been raised most likely to get the victim out as straight as possible.

None the less still a bad crash and hope they both pull through fine.

That has nothing to do with any short comings of the aerotop, you hit a tree at any moderate to high speed it was always going to crumple anyway and the tree win.

Also remember the end pictures of the car will be after the fireman have cut and moved bits, I.e the dash and steering wheel will of been raised most likely to get the victim out as straight as possible.

None the less still a bad crash and hope they both pull through fine.

Well i guess unless we crash test an aerotop and then a normally roofed mkiv in a controlled situation we'll never know but if i had to pick which to have an accident in it wouldnt be the aerotop.