The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hovis and baps demands. Acceptable?

Jake

i voted for - Likely to put off potential Full Members.

then again some of the topic headings in the open-area are a bit off putting as well, mainly the language ones.

doesn't worry me, but for a new person viewing to see topics like 'b*llocks' in open doesn't make for a good advert. also have to realise not everyone is an adult viewing the forum.

as for hovis photos, i feel that if someone has been on forum for a while they may well start posting photos later on, but thats their choice, shouldn't feel pressured. but to hit people up straight away, really doesn't seem the best way of promoting the forum to a wider group.

should be interesting going shopping today, thinking of 'hovis' and 'baps'.

ja ne

Ian

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My mental image of you has been smashed!

In my head you are this guy on the left:

[qimg]http://www.jeffiscool.com/pictures/I_Beat_Anorexia.jpg[/qimg]

Haven't got any pics of my norks out- have a loaf on a Supe instead: :D

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Gazboy/Casper001.jpg[/qimg]

really liking the photos of the hovis on the Supra, kill two birds with one stone :D

I find the hovis thing quite amusing, but i feel its prob the same as the extremely "nice" welcome thread about search from supraloopy.

Seeing as that had to stop i think maybe its time to stop putting the girls off the club.

It's just got bigger and bigger and now it's the norm, not because we all want to see the baps of new members but because it's a long standing internet tradition (that we've created! :D ). Didn't it start when someone posted pics of themselves on another forum and it was believed they were random pics off the net? And then the 'Hovis' breadline was borne.

Usually something to this end gets mentioned in the thread anyway, so any new members that have a brain cell should read it and see it's just a long term tradition to mention bread to new female members (so we know who they are).

Can we set up a Hovis FAQ that we can post a link to before we mention bread in new members threads - just to explain what it's all about so they don't get scared off?

Personally it didnt put me off and didnt really bother me that much, but the hovis comments may offend and confuse some.

When i first posted i had all of the 'hovis' banter, and to be honest i didnt really understand what it was all about, luckily for me a member on here sent me a private message apologising for possibly being put off and explained the 'hovis' thing.

It's just got bigger and bigger and now it's the norm, not because we all want to see the baps of new members but because it's a long standing internet tradition (that we've created! :D ). Didn't it start when someone posted pics of themselves on another forum and it was believed they were random pics off the net? And then the 'Hovis' breadline was borne.

Usually something to this end gets mentioned in the thread anyway, so any new members that have a brain cell should read it and see it's just a long term tradition to mention bread to new female members (so we know who they are).

Can we set up a Hovis FAQ that we can post a link to before we mention bread in new members threads - just to explain what it's all about so they don't get scared off?

Good post Trev!! The FAQ thing is a great idea. People are scared of looking thick when they first post up or feel like an outsider. This would defo make them feel more welcome.

H.

Where does this originate from anyway?

H.

I put up a mini guide on it a while ago, the post seems to have gone but it's fairly simple - it's a way to verify that the picture really is of the person posting.

It's easy for a random person / troll to post up a picture and say it's them, it often isn't (not that it matters really) so by asking them to post a picture with something it helps to prove it's them.

I guess it's like a ransom victim being pictured with a newspaper from a specific date but slightly less sinister.

Right now I think it's being used in the wrong way and too early.

Right now I think it's being used in the wrong way and too early.

Exactly, but it's a joke at the end of the day, comedy value of asking for something so random! It does get a bit silly now that we're saying you have to post bread pics to become a full member - some of them might actually believe that!!

Exactly, but it's a joke at the end of the day, comedy value of asking for something so random! It does get a bit silly now that we're saying you have to post bread pics to become a full member - some of them might actually believe that!!

Would you find it a joke if you bought a new car, went to the owners club and the people on there asked for shots of you with your c*ck out? :p

Would you find it a joke if you bought a new car, went to the owners club and the people on there asked for shots of you with your c*ck out? :p

I don't mind "taking one for the team!!". Especially if it helps club spirit. I do warn you though, the pics I've got were taken outside when it was very cold!!:D

H.

I'd think it was a bit odd, I'd at least play along for a bit it wouldn't put me off straight away (although i'd stay for the laugh more than the community spirit!!) - if someone then mentioned the history and that it was a long running joke I'd probably be alright with it (if I hadn't posted a pic by then! :innocent: ).

I like to have a laugh and joke as much as the next person but agree that it can be percieved as intimidating if the joke is carried on for too long. A couple of Hovis gags are fair enough and may help to break the ice but asking for Baps out is going too far IMO.

Thats my two pennies worth, now back to NWS!! :D

Likely to put off potential full members.

Do you really think treating a new girl like that is going to make her want to come to meets and interact with us? That is not the way to meet women guys and no way to treat someone who wants to be a member of the club. I like a good looking woman (I have one) as much as the rest of you (ok, maybe more), but hope for attractiveness is no reason to disrespect her, especially during introductions and greetings. Do you walk up to an attractive woman in a pub or otherwise and say, "Hey, nice rack, would you like to have dinner with me? I'm a nice guy, really." The message that's received is, "Hey you, I'm an @$$hole who will treat you poorly and couldn't be @rsed with your opinion. I only want to look at you." Sorry for rant, but it's just not good for the club's female membership, which in turn isn't good for the club's male membership.

there are some that only post to get their baps out so it kind of give us girls with a brain a bad name.

Girls with a what? :innocent:

As long as they were women, no probs. I'm not going to do it obviously for fear of scaring them and alienating myself from the rest of the male members who'd be so terribly jealous.

Do you walk up to an attractive woman in a pub or otherwise and say, "Hey, nice rack, would you like to have dinner with me? I'm a nice guy, really."

If at some point in the past your mate had done it (for example), and it was hillariously funny to all your mates, it may have become a joke when in the pub that to pick up chicks you can say that line and it works, then one night you decide to do it in front of your mates, it gets a laugh and you get a slap - worth it for the laugh though. Same thing here.

The message that's received is, "Hey you, I'm an @$$hole who will treat you poorly and couldn't be @rsed with your opinion. I only want to look at you."

True, but it's not meant like that, it's grown into something that it shouldn't have from something else a long time ago. We just need to tell the prospective females this fact when it starts so they don't take it the wrong way (if they know of the joke and still take it badly then they're not likely to get on here anyway!!).

True, but it's not meant like that, it's grown into something that it shouldn't have from something else a long time ago. We just need to tell the prospective females this fact when it starts so they don't take it the wrong way (if they know of the joke and still take it badly then they're not likely to get on here anyway!!).

Trev, I don't think it's sinking in.

Tell prospective females the fact that they need to produce a shot of themselves on here in order to 'get along'??....Hmmmm ok yeah, I'm sure if you explain it like that it will be ok. :rolleyes:

If at some point in the past your mate had done it (for example), and it was hillariously funny to all your mates, it may have become a joke when in the pub that to pick up chicks you can say that line and it works, then one night you decide to do it in front of your mates, it gets a laugh and you get a slap - worth it for the laugh though. Same thing here.

I know what you mean and agree.

We just need to tell the prospective females this fact when it starts so they don't take it the wrong way (if they know of the joke and still take it badly then they're not likely to get on here anyway!!).

That's what has to happen if the Hovis tradition continues, but too often doesn't until the 2nd or 3rd page.

Likely to put off potential full members.

Do you really think treating a new girl like that is going to make her want to come to meets and interact with us? That is not the way to meet women guys and no way to treat someone who wants to be a member of the club. I like a good looking woman (I have one) as much as the rest of you (ok, maybe more), but hope for attractiveness is no reason to disrespect her, especially during introductions and greetings. Do you walk up to an attractive woman in a pub or otherwise and say, "Hey, nice rack, would you like to have dinner with me? I'm a nice guy, really." The message that's received is, "Hey you, I'm an @$$hole who will treat you poorly and couldn't be @rsed with your opinion. I only want to look at you." Sorry for rant, but it's just not good for the club's female membership, which in turn isn't good for the club's male membership.

I don't think attractiveness or lack of it is a consideration when requesting Hovis - if it is this is another example of it being used incorrectly.

I don't think attractiveness or lack of it is a consideration when requesting Hovis - if it is this is another example of it being used incorrectly.

So it's authenticity of the poster? If that was the original point of hovis it was lost a very long time ago. :)

"Hey, nice rack, would you like to have dinner with me? I'm a nice guy, really." The message that's received is, "Hey you, I'm an @$$hole who will treat you poorly and couldn't be @rsed with your opinion. I only want to look at you."

This was my impression, IMO when I first went on the forum. Thats why I never posted on the Newbie thread once I got my soop and will not post a pic of myself for you deprived lot to bandy around and offer your 'opinion' on :p

but by the same token, I know its banter, high spirits and not meant to be offensive...but it is!

I agree with Charlotte, for we females who are serious about our cars (I'm training to be a mechanic btw :D ) it really does us no favours. :rolleyes:

"Hey, nice rack, would you like to have dinner with me? I'm a nice guy, really." The message that's received is, "Hey you, I'm an @$$hole who will treat you poorly and couldn't be @rsed with your opinion. I only want to look at you."

This was my impression, IMO when I first went on the forum. Thats why I never posted on the Newbie thread once I got my soop and will not post a pic of myself for you deprived lot to bandy around and offer your 'opinion' on :p

but by the same token, I know its banter, high spirits and not meant to be offensive...but it is!

I agree with Charlotte, for we females who are serious about our cars (I'm training to be a mechanic btw :D ) it really does us no favours. :rolleyes:

:confused: :taped: