The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Donington 27th Feb, who is definitely running?

Chris Wilson

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put it this way Jamie, the wall was about a metre in front of that nose!!! Thank god Mike, and I suppose Burna, were OK. He did very well to keep it from hitting the side wall. :)

Indeed, thanks to everyone who took me out, CW in his Skyline which is most likely the best driving experience I've had, and shit scary. Jesus, he was throwing the car round a bit.

Also thanks to Bignum who gave me a great ride round on the heels of the Caterhams.

And finally, thanks to Pete for the offer twice too, sadly I was a muppet on both occasions and didn't get to go around! :(

Great day guys.

Greg :)

Fantastic day indeed! I've got the vids and boy is that Zeus loud, as is Mr Mike B's single. Shame I didn't hear yours go round Wez!

Great to meet all the guys, new faces and old as always. :)

Got loads of Video footage, but like a pleb I left the charger behind which CW has kindly picked up. Once I get it back, I'll be paying him a visit for my boost issues soon anyway, I'll post the the vids guys. :)

Greg

Nice to see everyone today, sorry if I didn't get as much time to chat as I might have liked, running 2 cars, one a time consuming and fiddly racer, took all my time up. I can post the charger insured to you on Thursday AM if you like. If that's any help just e-mail me your address. You won't be making my spin public, will you.... :) ? Hope everyone got home OK, it was a dire day, weather wise, but you can learn a lot more about a cars handling in the wet, than the dry, in many cases.

Had a great day. Finally got back home after another 90mins of ear deafening and soakings with time to clean all the mud and shite off it before sun down.

I enjoyed the day, but felt that as a novice somewhat out of my depth considering the experience of most others.

It was a shame as I was trying to get the right racing line etc, but was constantly having to move out of the way for people behind. I think I'll do a novice only day next time.

Nice to have a pop at those BMW touring cars eh Si? ;)

It was pretty hairy out there with so many offs and one killed Aerial Atom. I thought I'd quit whilst I was ahead and not do many more laps.

Sorry I couldn't take more people out - next time.

Greg - sorry you didn't get a ride in the end, it just wasn't to be was it?!

Would love to see any pics or vids of my car. The official ones aren't up on the bookatrack.co.uk site yet.

It was not a typical Bookatrack day, with it being a rare noisy day, and at the start of the 2007 race season it was inevitable, in hindsight, that you would get some race cars getting some testing in. Just let THEM worry about getting by you, concentrate on where you are going, Bookatrack know what goes on and I am sure they would support you if you told them you felt you were being hassled. Proper test days (RAC MSA licence holders only) make their behaviour today seem exemplary, an F3000 going up 2 more gears down the inside of you into a corner, whilst you are hard on the brakes for all it's worth, is a real eye opener. If noise isn't an issue for you try a day that's sessioned.

Really enjoyed today - meeting everyone and putting names to faces. The highlight was most certainly the 45mins of dry track, a single car width wide that the emerged just after lunch, as well as greg gripping the roll cage and centre console for all his life was worth...lol!

It's the first time I have used the black car in anger and I would have just liked a bit more dry to experience some more.

I spent the morning laughing at Simon and his rendition of Swan Lake. He put JCB's dancing diggers to shame. I came round one corner to see a set of big supra treads weaving though the rainsoaked tarmac, clminating with an ashen faced simon staring me whilst strying to find a gear that worked on the grass.

Two hours later karma paid me a visit and I was being pulled out of the flowerbeds having shut the track... lol Greg and I sheepishly pottered back into the paddock hoping no one would notice but my car looked like some one had tipped a lorry load of topsoil on it. It even had a chunk of grass on the boot!

I also laughed at Pete's comment about the instructor after he removed himsef from the grass. It sounded like he paid for a lesson in how to improve his driving, but wondered if he had signed the "how to commit suicide at donnington" form instead!

The nice shiney 460 modena didn't last long... he subtly dissapeared... what car was it that hit the wall?

I found the biggest problems are the caterfields... they just don't mix well with our cars, like horse flies all over you, up your arse while you wait for others to pull over, and no matter how many times you pull over and let them pass they will never pull over on the straights.

I'm sure they say the same about us.

One good thing about today - I used very little fuel and no tyres at all. My ABS got a hell of a workout, we were still hitting good top speeds down the first straight.

Oh and I forgot to say,

After I returned to the pits with my mobile flowerbox the track guy told me to go and clean my car up then come and have a chat.... (naughty boy).

I went to the garage to use the pressure washer. They thought I was a loon and laughed when I bought 2 tickets. 15 minutes later the pressure washer broke.. and I still had a monti python shurbbery attached to the underneath.... it was not my afternoon!

There was bits of garden falling off all the way up the M1.

we were still hitting good top speeds down the first straight.

Yeah I liked that bit, think I suprised a Porka GT3 down there :eyebrows:

I found the grid lineup lines on the pit straight a little slippery when trying to boot it out of the chicane.

EDIT: forgot to say was great meeting everyone, good turn out I thought :)

Nice to see everyone today, sorry if I didn't get as much time to chat as I might have liked, running 2 cars, one a time consuming and fiddly racer, took all my time up. I can post the charger insured to you on Thursday AM if you like. If that's any help just e-mail me your address. You won't be making my spin public, will you.... ? Hope everyone got home OK, it was a dire day, weather wise, but you can learn a lot more about a cars handling in the wet, than the dry, in many cases.

Thanks Chris. I'll PM you the address and send you some cash for delivery mate, or probably give you some cash in person as my car will be returning to yours soon!

As for the spin-off, what spin off? :p We'll have to wait and see won't we!

Thanks for the suicide attempt in the Skyline - thoroughly enjoyable and heart attack inducing at the same time.

Really enjoyed today - meeting everyone and putting names to faces. The highlight was most certainly the 45mins of dry track, a single car width wide that the emerged just after lunch, as well as greg (Burna) gripping the roll cage and centre console for all his life was worth...lol!

Two hours later karma paid me a visit and I was being pulled out of the flowerbeds having shut the track... lol Greg (Burna) and I sheepishly pottered back into the paddock hoping no one would notice but my car looked like some one had tipped a lorry load of topsoil on it. It even had a chunk of grass on the boot!

Mike, it was Burn mate thank the lord. I had more common sense that to get in the car with a nutter :p

See above comment re Skyline nearly killing me off. This WOULD have given me heart failure!:D

Great to meet you mate.

Greg

it was a dire day, weather wise, but you can learn a lot more about a cars handling in the wet, than the dry, in many cases.

I actually had a better day in the wet than I did in the dry. despite the fact that my traction control was taken away from me last night for the first time ever I rarely had a dodgy moment and dare I say it unlike quite a few I kept my car well poised and on the circuit. (maybe the cars setup had more to do with this than I did). I only started to lose my control on the car when the circuit dried up enough for the slick tyred caterfields to whoop on up on my ass.

I will say one thing.... The guy in the hire car summat or other jazz proved to me one thing categorically. 500 odd bhp aint worth shit if you can't drive for toffee. Now how do I get toffee lessons :)

Sat here at work I sometimes wear a pair of ear cans to down out the noise when I am concentrating. Today my ears are ringing.. like I'd been to a rock concert...

it's the bloody Zues!!

I knew it was loud when my ears physiaclly hurt stood on the wall and everyone else was wincing... lol

Sat here at work I sometimes wear a pair of ear cans to down out the noise when I am concentrating. Today my ears are ringing.. like I'd been to a rock concert...

it's the bloody Zues!!

I knew it was loud when my ears physiaclly hurt stood on the wall and everyone else was wincing... lol

Lol I know the feeling, bit deaf in my left ear today :(