The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My car has been clocked - bought from Paul Evans (formally Miami GT)

Homer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this one of those cars that makes a stop-off in the middle east on its way from Japan to Europe ??

Is it possible that there is another middle-man somewhere down the line between the Jap auction and the importer?

(Just a thought)

is this one of those cars that makes a stop-off in the middle east on its way from Japan to Europe ??

I've never heard of that before, interesting. What's that stop off all about and why would they have a vested interested in clocking a car?

Years ago some used to go via Cyprus I believe to get around some old loop hole. Don't think that happens any more.

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you are on about... I am just shocked

I do not have the info to hand as it was so long ago... I dont even remember the details...

This was bought in from a Japan auction, picked up from Southampton, taken to Newhaven and basically sold on after being serviced by John etc back then. You had the paperwork that I had... I have no reason to try and fiddle anything...

Very happy to meet up with you Homer - my concience is clear...and if you want to contact me about this I will send you through my address and phone number

This is just totally wild...

Sorry Paul, but thats a differnt story to the one you told me when I was purchasing the car. You said you had bought the car via your agent in Japan which indicated that it was either purchased direct from an auction or privately.

It also changes the situation somewhat!

BTW I never received a single bit of paperwork for the car aside from the log book.

This type of news would come as a severe kick in the bollocks if it was happening to me, due to the time and effort I have put in to my car.

I'm not sure if I'll check the mileage though as I certainly don't want my bubble to be burst.:(

However I would also be very unhappy about purchasing a car that had fake mileage on it. I would be like getting together with a stunning blond only to find she has fake tits.

Daston, I don't think this is quite the same mate as I would still be over the moon with a blonde that had fake tits (as long as it wasn't a padded bra that is!!:) ) But fake is deffinately OK in this instance:eyebrows:

It does now mean my cars true mileage is now 160,000 km, I'm not sure what effect this will have on reslae but imagine it won't be a positive one :rolleyes:

The car itself is in top condition, after all pretty much everything moving part has been replaced in the last 3 years.

Sorry Paul, but thats a differnt story to the one you told me when I was purchasing the car. You said you had bought the car via your agent in Japan which indicated that it was either purchased direct from an auction or privately.

BTW I never received a single bit of paperwork for the car aside from the log book.

It was purchased in good faith from a guy who was a contact at the auctions

I dont even have any info from back then - but surely 56000 miles = nearly 100,000 kms? Why would anyone fiddle 11,000 kms?

Darryl, This is not right... really it isn't... I have not done anything untoward on this you must believe me...

pete - there used to be a 'setup' in which the Japanese auction agents were actually middle eastern guys who bought the cars and then sold them on to Europe. They used to buy in bulk and then offer so called discount rates to importers.

The ships would drop the cars off in the middle east and then another ship would forward the relevant cars onto their destination in Europe. Meanwhile during the waiting period in the sand they would get heavily clocked and parts taken off and replaced.... grade 1 and 2 cars being sold on as grade 4 and 5 etc. etc.

Therefore the agents would buy cheap and sell on for a profit.

I'm not trying to imply that this is what has happened in this case, I was just thinking aloud as to how maybe the importer may not have known the milage. The auction papers may have stated the milage at the time of auction, but if the car has been 'tampered' with en-route then the importer may not have known.

As Paul says.... to take off only 11,000kms is not worth it. Sounds more like a simple oversight or something.

It was purchased in good faith from a guy who was a contact at the auctions

I dont even have any info from back then - but surely 56000 miles = nearly 100,000 kms? Why would anyone fiddle 11,000 kms?

Darryl, This is not right... really it isn't... I have not done anything untoward on this you must believe me...

The mileage has always been in km so it lost ~50,000 km between the car going through auction and me getting it.

I'm not specifically saying you clocked it, but someone did!

TBH does anyone actually believe some of the mileage these cars come over with

Do we hell! I'm happy with my 105,000 mile car, but I do find it annoying that there are so many 'low mileage' imports for sale, because in my eyes most of those have been clocked. I don't like to keep going on about it too much because as people have said, they just don't want to hear it.

This was bought in from a Japan auction, picked up from Southampton, taken to Newhaven and basically sold on after being serviced by John etc back then.

I am a bit confused by that. What is different in what Paul said?

Homer, was the odometer clocking up in miles when you purchased the car or still clocking up in KM's? I ask as if it was clocking up in KM's might the readout have been changed to show the true mileage instead of KM's?

Sorry to heat this Darryl. Hope it gets sorted soon.

If it's any concellation, mine has done 142,000 km (about 100,000 in miles) and is still going mightily strong! Had loads of work done, but nowhere near as much as yours which has literally been built from the ground up mate:)

I wouldn't worry about resale value. Your car is a stunner and therefore the mileage won't worry the buyer.

pete - there used to be a 'setup' in which the Japanese auction agents were actually middle eastern guys who bought the cars and then sold them on to Europe. They used to buy in bulk and then offer so called discount rates to importers.

The ships would drop the cars off in the middle east and then another ship would forward the relevant cars onto their destination in Europe. Meanwhile during the waiting period in the sand they would get heavily clocked and parts taken off and replaced.... grade 1 and 2 cars being sold on as grade 4 and 5 etc. etc.

Therefore the agents would buy cheap and sell on for a profit.

Crikey! :shock:

There's some scum out there isn't there? :(

Despite the now confirmed mileage issue (56156km when I bought it, now confirmed 111096km by the auction house Paul bought it from).

Miles and km getting confused here.

For what its worth I really wouldn't expect Paul to have known about this - pulling tricks like this isn't worth the reputation (and loss of business).

Homer, what info did this place actually provide, a print out of the auction sheet or just a number? as in the other thread I don't believe this place actually has access to this information.

All auction records in Japan are kept on computer, anyone can access this information (if you can speak Japanese!), its similar to the way HPI can access the mileage register (or whatevers its called) in the UK.

I got an email confirming the record for the auction showed the mileage as 111k km.

The mileage has always been in km so it lost ~50,000 km between the car going through auction and me getting it.

I'm not specifically saying you clocked it, but someone did!

Clutching at straws but could the odo have been converted to miles?

The inference is in the title - (Please take off the Miami-GT part in the title if you must - no need for Andy to be affected)

I cant say anymore as I really dont have any idea - I am helpless to refute the accusation... if you would like to send info through for me would appreciate the opportunity of speaking... but out of the blue like this I dont know what to say...

Seriously, what's the big fuss? So the car turned out to have a disputed history - Homer already said it's in great condition, and that's all that counts really. With all the work that's been done to it including a single turbo, mileage is highly unlikely to affect resale values. Let's face it, the way things are going all of these cars are going to be worth squat before long anyway.

The crash damage was quite serious but it appears to have been repaired correctly so this doesn't really concern me.

The drivers side chassis rail had been bent about 1 inch inwards (you can see this as the radiator is out of shape where the rail hit it).

I should have realised this sooner, there were a few telltale signs when I bought the car. The main one being the stock "Supra" side logo's only went up to the front wings. Also, all the front parts had Japanese Toyota parts labels on them.

I checked a very old pic of the car on a forecourt in Japan (it was on the Miami-GT home page for years) and the side logos were missing there too.

I don't think the two items are linked.