The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which tyre’s for your daily drive Supra?

Homer

Hi all, I’ve not bought a set of tyres for a supra for 10 years, since then it seems things have moved on and to be honest I’m a bit confused about the choices available now.

This is for a daily driver, so need all weather tyres with good balance between wet and dry performance. Also stock tyre sizes.

In many years past I always went for Good year eagle F1’s as they were well balanced, but now there’s so many variants I’m not even sure which one is the right one. I’m also looking at Toyo Proxie Sports as they are well priced and seem to have fairly good reviews.

So, any recommendations, good or bad, ones to avoid, etc?

10 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Depends on budget, Im a huge Uniroyal Rainsport fan, have them on both my cars currently. Hankook Ventus also good, feeling flush you really cant go wrong with Michelin Pilot Sports or Dunlop Sportmaxx

Thanks. I’ll have a look at the Uniroyal then as I must have overlooked them. I’ll also look at the Hankook again as I thought they were ditch finders, again probably lack of knowledge on my side.

Pilot sports are quite expensive and more than I can really afford. However I’m very aware this is one area it’s not wise to skimp on cost…

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably a tad late, if not, I have been using Michelin Pilot Sport 4's in the stock 17" sizes on the NA which is my DD. Tyre Reviews did a summer tyre test in 17" earlier in the year, you'll probably be pleased with any of the recommended: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-17-Inch-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm. PS5's aren't offered in the stock Supra sizes yet. I've had a good experience with Uniroyal Rainsports on a Polo too.

Camskill ended up being the cheapest when I replaced my rears earlier in the year, even including the £10 a wheel my local tyre garage charges to swap them over. 

I don't really risk driving it if properly snowing (no ABS/TC), so can't speak of how 'good' they are on snow, but all summer tyres are likely to be as useless as one another!

• Like 1

Thanks @m12aak, I was hoping for more input so appreciate the comments. I noticed someone put a similar question up on the FB group recently that had a lot of replies. From that it seemed a lot of people are recommending the Pilot Sport 4’s. They’re very much on the higher end of the price range but I guess you get what you pay for!

I’ve been out of action with Covid for over a week so never ended up looking more into the tyre choice, so time to get back on it 👍

• Like 1

No problem! Yes I like to think you do with tyres, especially in the wet (where the differences between brands are exaggerated). Although there's probably a sweet spot in terms of price to performance.

Hopefully you can find a few decent options on the previous generation UHP summers' now all the premium manufacturers have 'recently' released updates. 

Hope the bout of Covid wasn't too serious 🤞

• Like 1

I dont exactly Daily Drive my Supra but I do drive it weekly in all weathers. 

I am currently on Godyears Eagle F1s but previous to this I was on Bridgestone Potenza's. I would run both tyres happily again, I would say the Bridgestones were better in the wet. 

I am BPU Auto and from a standstill acceleration both tyres have minimal slip, this with Bilstein / Eibach combination. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks @m12aak, I was hoping for more input so appreciate the comments. I noticed someone put a similar question up on the FB group recently that had a lot of replies. From that it seemed a lot of people are recommending the Pilot Sport 4’s. They’re very much on the higher end of the price range but I guess you get what you pay for!

I’ve been out of action with Covid for over a week so never ended up looking more into the tyre choice, so time to get back on it 👍

PS4's all the way mate. Try Camskill, they always seem the cheapest for me.

• Like 2

Got a good deal at ATS Euromaster for a set of Good Year Eagle F1 asymmetric 5's 

£389.35 inc vat and fitting 225 x 40 x 18 and 255 x 35 x 18

They've been on just over 1 year and I can't fault them in the dry or wet, they definitely don't get pushed 

that hard though. 

Came out very well in the tyre review tests 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

Thought I best add these are on my E46 330 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the inputs gents, all very helpful recommendations and comments 👍 I’m going to go for PS4’s from camskill (thanks @Burna and @m12aak for the recommendation). £507 delivered is a lot cheaper than elsewhere!

I tried to find Eagle F1’s but it doesn’t seem it’s possible to get a matching set in oem size anymore. Asymmetrical 2 for fronts and 5 for rears 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks for all the inputs gents, all very helpful recommendations and comments 👍 I’m going to go for PS4’s from camskill (thanks @Burna and @m12aak for the recommendation). £507 delivered is a lot cheaper than elsewhere!

I tried to find Eagle F1’s but it doesn’t seem it’s possible to get a matching set in oem size anymore. Asymmetrical 2 for fronts and 5 for rears 🤷‍♂️

That’s a shame as I’ve always used Eagles F1’s. When I got my new oem set of wheels, they came with Dunlop tyres on and I don’t like them at all.