The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension - I want to go softer

Keith C

I'm fed up with a hard, crashy ride on my car, and I want to go softer, so am looking for advice as to what my options are.

I've got a set of the Toyota Bilstein shocks at the moment - I don't know what springs I have other than I think they might be Eibach's - but honestly, I'm fed up with them. 

Wheel wise I have a set of 18" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's, which I like the look of, 8.5" at the front, 10" at the back, 35 offset all round.

The ride is just so much harder and crashier than I want these days. With the state of roads now, driving has stopped being fun, and particularly bad surfaces can end up shaking the car so much it feels like an aerotop.

Unfortunately it's not possible to get hold of stock springs/shocks any more, otherwise I'd just do that, so I'm wanting to see what my options are to Make It Better. I don't care about track use, or drag strips - I just want something properly 'GT' that doesn't make me feel like my teeth are falling out at every bump. If that means changing the wheels too I'm OK with that.

Can anyone advise?

Edited by Keith C (see edit history)

What profile are your tyres?

Ive just ordered a set of new shocks, top mounts and suspension bits from Paul at TCB, may be worth giving him a call.

Is your suspension in good order? When I had my TT auto on stock 17 wheels with factory yellow Bilstein shocks and springs it was soooo comfortable, proper GT car! 

Like you I just want comfort, currently on same size wheels are you 245/40 front and 285/35 rears ET35, but with TRD coilovers which are quite harsh, so I'm swapping to yellow Bilstein 

• Like 1

You might find some stock springs, I have some j-spec springs in the garage somewhere on some toyota bilsteins, and also some extra springs, but I think they are CW springs.

They biggest difference would be fitting stock 17" wheels with stock tyre profiles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AC93 said:

Ive just ordered a set of new shocks, top mounts and suspension bits from Paul at TCB, may be worth giving him a call.

Is your suspension in good order? When I had my TT auto on stock 17 wheels with factory yellow Bilstein shocks and springs it was soooo comfortable, proper GT car! 

Like you I just want comfort, currently on same size wheels are you 245/40 front and 285/35 rears ET35, but with TRD coilovers which are quite harsh, so I'm swapping to yellow Bilstein 

Hmm. I can't rule out it being worn shocks - they've been on there many years.

Can you remember what colour the springs were on the Bilstein's? Mine are green...but I can't see any other identifying marks.

1 hour ago, Burna said:

You might find some stock springs, I have some j-spec springs in the garage somewhere on some toyota bilsteins, and also some extra springs, but I think they are CW springs.

They biggest difference would be fitting stock 17" wheels with stock tyre profiles. 

I do have some stock 17's - one of the tyres is toast though, so I'm really reluctant to buy a tyre for an experiment.

23 minutes ago, Keith C said:

Hmm. I can't rule out it being worn shocks - they've been on there many years.

Can you remember what colour the springs were on the Bilstein's? Mine are green...but I can't see any other identifying marks.

Green will be the old Eibach springs then.

22 minutes ago, Keith C said:

I do have some stock 17's - one of the tyres is toast though, so I'm really reluctant to buy a tyre for an experiment.

It's only £250 for a tyre, and you will definitely notice the difference in ride comfort mate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keith C said:

Green Springs I would of thought would be Tein Springs. 

I run Bilsteins with Eibach springs and find them comfortable enough, I know my bushes are all sound as well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

Green Springs I would of thought would be Tein Springs. 

I run Bilsteins with Eibach springs and find them comfortable enough, I know my bushes are all sound as well. 

Teins, which are shit imho, are green but come as a full coilover set. The old Eibach springs, before Paul Whiffin started to get them made again as they are now black, use to be green I'm 99% sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burna said:

Teins, which are shit imho, are green but come as a full coilover set. The old Eibach springs, before Paul Whiffin started to get them made again as they are now black, use to be green I'm 99% sure.

Oh i didnt realise that the eibachs were green or even a different colour many years ago, I am not that old ;) 

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/367188/toyota/tein-s-tech-springs/skt60-avb00.html - they do make just springs 

I guess a picture would settle this 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

Oh i didnt realise that the eibachs were green or even a different colour many years ago, I am not that old ;) 

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/367188/toyota/tein-s-tech-springs/skt60-avb00.html - they do make just springs 

I guess a picture would settle this 

You know what Matt, I may be wrong with them use to being green, I've searched back and can't find any photos where I thought they were green?!! I'm losing it in my old age it seems lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scooter said:

Amayama are saying out of production for the J spec springs but have a price for Euro/UK Spec ones 48131-1D611 (front) and 48231-1B160 (rear)

Perhaps worth a go, £100 each + duty though.......

The UK springs make it VERY boaty, doesn't handle well at all 😕

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:21 PM, AC93 said:

I have stock 17's and I too find it so harsh and rattly...I haven't done much work to the car so I'm not 100% sure if they are original springs, the shocks are yellow...but I REALLY dislike how it feels sometimes and just want it to be smooth. But without a place to work on it, I really can't do much about it. Are all the OEM suspension parts still available for this car?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SUPRA4EVA said:

I have stock 17's and I too find it so harsh and rattly...I haven't done much work to the car so I'm not 100% sure if they are original springs, the shocks are yellow...but I REALLY dislike how it feels sometimes and just want it to be smooth. But without a place to work on it, I really can't do much about it. Are all the OEM suspension parts still available for this car?

Something else needs checking I think, bushes? Arms/ball joints? Original springs are black ..

Give TCB a call, they have a lot of parts at good price 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AC93 said:

Something else needs checking I think, bushes? Arms/ball joints? Original springs are black ..

Give TCB a call, they have a lot of parts at good price 

Yeah, I can't say for certain until I find some space to work on it unfortunately =( but it could well be.

Looking thru some old photos when I did the seized pistons years ago, the springs were heavily rusted but I'd suspect they are stock...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyson said:

I think what you are trying to say is that it soaks up the bumps well and requires a sturdy stomach 🤣

No mate, they were shit lol You couldn’t get it to handle like it does now on b6 bilsteins and eibach springs.