The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any interest in brand new lenses

Noz

I've turned down some tooling before for lenses, but it wasn't enough of a plug and play swap.

Would anyone be interested in a replacement set of lenses?

Facelift tend to have micro cracking and hopefully it would solve that.

PreFacelift headlights lack the main beam projector beam displacement. I could perhaps create an aluminium replacement for this.

Either way, interest would be good. I'm about to call some people I know to discuss the engineering side of it. Any sales would of course follow forum rules for group buy permissions. Just curious to hear peoples opinions on it.

Edit: for reference. These would be clear only.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

My facelifts are an absolute mess so if they can be saved, I'll be all over this.

Are you looking at taking on work again Noz? Or just supply at the moment? My inserts really need attention as well. Could play test mule for the de-misting idea as well if need be (preferably end of the year though once cars off the road again!)

Edited by Style (see edit history)

On 3/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, Style said:

My facelifts are an absolute mess so if they can be saved, I'll be all over this.

Are you looking at taking on work again Noz? Or just supply at the moment? My inserts really need attention as well. Could play test mule for the de-misting idea as well if need be (preferably end of the year though once cars off the road again!)

Yes, I have mixed emotions about it but I have indeed been thinking about starting it off again properly.

I do the odd set for friends, but haven't really put any effort into making it a thing again.

My ring supplier is slow, being able to make lenses as well would mean I could actually provide a service. 

I've seen a few people try and customise headlights and they should have stuck to tail lights 😂

Edited by Noz (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I am interested also as my facelift lenses are starting to look a bit tatty! 

Also hoping these can be fitted as I do not have much confidence doing them myself in a oven. My inserts could do with some work as well because both have started to bubble up in places. 

Thanks for everyone for the replies. It really helps me see there is indeed an interest. Moving forward, when the Facelift lights are all sold, I can see supply being an issue for us all.

It would be for clear lenses and fit both prefacelift and facelift lights. Sadly not Euro spec glass ones, as these don't have interchangeable parts at all.

I'm a bit tied up with work until end of next week, then I'm chasing this idea. I'll work out the details before I apply for a group buy.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

So, one of my on going projects is nearing it's release.

Which mean I'd start looking at clear lenses again.

My initial thoughts, would be to include the rubber piece, as part of the lenses. Painted black, so no risk of them growing old.

Would be around £400 a set I'm thinking. 

You can buy a new set of facelift or prefacelift from Nengun for £230+. Shipping is £70+. Plus VAT 20%. Plus any importation charges on top. So on the face of it, new lenses from there isn't going to be any cheaper by the time you've got them in your head.

These will be plug and play may I add. No cut out the exterior of the lenses. Just bumping this thread as still get people asking me if I've any clear lenses for sale. Would be great to offer a replacement lens, as not everyone wants new lights.

To re-iterate, these will fit Facelift or Prefacelift and be clear, no lines. I could make them for UK sets, but would be a little more expensive due to development cost.

Thoughts welcome!

• Like 1