The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time to sell?

Johnm400

Ive not used the Supra since last summer and to be honest ive not even had the urge to use it. I also could do with the space in the garage to detail cars. Im thinking of selling up but i dont want to sell now and then the prices suddenly rocket. Mines only an NA auto but its in great condition and unmolested and whilst i realise its never going to be worth a fortune like a 6sp turbo, its still a Supra at the end of the day. Ive noticed there are no 7-8 grand cars being advertised recently, everything seems over 10K even some that look rough. Theres also the issue of regret. Am i just going through a phase and ill regret selling it in 6 months?  I always said i would never sell it but i really do not feel the excitement or urge to even wash all the dust off it that its collected over winter.  Do i sell it and free up garage space and the cash or do i wait and see how i feel over summer?

2 hours ago, Annabella said:

Been there John, you'll regret it. Once things normalise you'll be able to use it more, do some trackdays with it etc. That'll bring the love back 😁

Problem is, I've no interest in driving around a track. I'm sure I will enjoy driving it on the odd drive out during summer (if this ever ends) but is it worth keeping for half a dozen drives out during the summer? Don't get me wrong, I'd be very sad to see it go but I could be doing so much more if I had the space it's taking in the garage and I cant park it on the drive as it would either be gone in the morning or wrecked around here. 

It's all about what you might do with the money and space.

I think a few of us have been through this especially recently with the rising prices, but I think it is worth keeping it at least for this post lockdown period coming up. Clean her up and use it for a weekend away or something and then decide? 

49 minutes ago, Scooter said:

It's all about what you might do with the money and space.

I think a few of us have been through this especially recently with the rising prices, but I think it is worth keeping it at least for this post lockdown period coming up. Clean her up and use it for a weekend away or something and then decide? 

I think thats the best bet. Im not in need of the money although its always nice, its the space that i really need. I cant even park the Supra outside on the drive under a cover whilst i use the garage for detailing because it would get nicked or damaged around here. I used to be able to sneak a few cars in the back garden as it was council wasteland but they built a carpark and theres a large raised grass verge there now which would be an absolute pain to try and get the Supra over when nobody is watching! Ill give it some thought over the next couple of months.

21 minutes ago, Noz said:

Should have push the button on the NAt kit years ago mate!

It would of been lovely having the turbo conversion but i couldnt justify the cost and work involved especially when i learned that the NA auto box would have to be replaced or modified to handle the extra power.

4 minutes ago, Scooter said:

It's funny when they were relatively worthless it so a no brainer to keep, now they command more and spares etc have gone up, your mind starts drifting or finds it harder to justify a high priced ornament!

Yeah, thats deffo part of it, it really is just an expensive ornament, one thats in the way.

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

It's funny when they were relatively worthless it so a no brainer to keep, now they command more and spares etc have gone up, your mind starts drifting or finds it harder to justify a high priced ornament!

You were the one that told me to stop wiping off my suspension arms and take it on tour. Sounds like we all need to head off on a reluctant tour somewhere well away from home. But, what happens if it rains? Or if someone bangs into it? What if it gets stolen from a hotel car park? What if people shout at you, is that a Supra? It sounds really stressful. 

Yep need to take my own advice and just get out and use it always love it when I do, got to get mine MOT'd and cleaned up a bit first it's stuck at work which is part of the problem. I'm not precious about it, I've used it in all weathers, I just find myself mulling over options and whether something else might give me a new 'wow' factor, I get John's twitchiness!

Your not alone 

haven’t really used it at all.. done about 500 miles since 2018

i have thoughts of selling all the time but the money will only go on the house lol

i have no interest in it really anymore But I’m thinking of Chucking a load of money at it this year and next and increase the power 

don’t know if that will make keep It or not but I’m hoping it will make me keep it lol

• Like 1

I do this every year for the last 5 years.

its still here......However when your getting constant messages on Facebook offering you what i consider stupid money for it it becomes to tempting. 

Id really doubt mine i will be here this time next year. At some stage that offer is going to hit to much to turn down.

To put it into perspective an offer i had the other day. I could buy a SLK55 AMG and have 10k left over for the supra.

I'm on the other side of the coin, on my third Supra including one Mk III and I still love mine like the day I got my first one 10 years ago.  I think we are all of the same kinda generation on here and probably went through the same types of cars, ie MR2s, GTOs, FTOs Preludes, and every other coupe we could afford at the time.  With all that said and done the one thing I would say is during the 2 decades of driving there was NOTHING I could afford that could match the Supra for looks, and especially power and driving feel.  I've had Jags and Beemers and my wife even has a 911 with a custom 3.9 upgrade and still nothing can touch my Supe.

I drive mine mainly in the dry but sometimes in the wet too when I have to (wahey!) - and I've just never fallen out of love to be honest, even at the petrol station....  There's no doubt the value of Supras is going to go up, I wouldnt be at all surprised in 5-10 years for them to start hitting 30k minimum as more and more disappear.  

But also, the hydrogen and electric age is coming - imagine how nice it will be to still own a hairy chested petrol polluter when everyone is humming past silently......

On 3/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, Fulcrum2000 said:

I'm on the other side of the coin, on my third Supra including one Mk III and I still love mine like the day I got my first one 10 years ago.  I think we are all of the same kinda generation on here and probably went through the same types of cars, ie MR2s, GTOs, FTOs Preludes, and every other coupe we could afford at the time.  With all that said and done the one thing I would say is during the 2 decades of driving there was NOTHING I could afford that could match the Supra for looks, and especially power and driving feel.  I've had Jags and Beemers and my wife even has a 911 with a custom 3.9 upgrade and still nothing can touch my Supe.

I drive mine mainly in the dry but sometimes in the wet too when I have to (wahey!) - and I've just never fallen out of love to be honest, even at the petrol station....  There's no doubt the value of Supras is going to go up, I wouldnt be at all surprised in 5-10 years for them to start hitting 30k minimum as more and more disappear.  

But also, the hydrogen and electric age is coming - imagine how nice it will be to still own a hairy chested petrol polluter when everyone is humming past silently......

I think petrol cars will be priced out of the average persons grasp eventually as the price of fuel will go through the roof or become scarce. Tax on petrol cars will go up so much that it wont be justifiable to the average joe. I like my supra and MR2 don't get me wrong but I think what I've realized is really....its just driving i enjoy. So a tesla model S would mean i could enjoy driving and not pay out the arse to do it. But it wouldn't be the same "event" as taking the supra or MR2 out. The more they price petrol cars, the less they will command in value as the demand wont be there.

I think its obvious electric cars will come and then hydrogen a few years later when they crack the mass storage of that medium - the cars left which use petrol will almost certainly be the ones which are 'of interest' and I'd be amazed if Supras don't come into this category.  I do understand what everyone is saying though, especially at the moment with a year of being forced indoors and many people having their lives turned upside down it's given us all time to think.

I've also been very lucky in the last year in that I haven't lost my job and have actually earned far more money than normal - I sell video games - I'm aware many people haven't been so fortunate.  I would say if you want to revive your love for your Supra, go and test drive anything you are thinking of replacing it with and if it 'floats your boat' it will help you decide to change but I imagine in most cases it would be a case of 'never meet your heroes' and it just wont stack up to your expectations.  For me the Supra is one of the few cars that does, along with several BMWs I've owned and a couple of others.  But it ain't a long list.  

1 hour ago, Fulcrum2000 said:

I think its obvious electric cars will come and then hydrogen a few years later when they crack the mass storage of that medium - the cars left which use petrol will almost certainly be the ones which are 'of interest' and I'd be amazed if Supras don't come into this category.  I do understand what everyone is saying though, especially at the moment with a year of being forced indoors and many people having their lives turned upside down it's given us all time to think.

I've also been very lucky in the last year in that I haven't lost my job and have actually earned far more money than normal - I sell video games - I'm aware many people haven't been so fortunate.  I would say if you want to revive your love for your Supra, go and test drive anything you are thinking of replacing it with and if it 'floats your boat' it will help you decide to change but I imagine in most cases it would be a case of 'never meet your heroes' and it just wont stack up to your expectations.  For me the Supra is one of the few cars that does, along with several BMWs I've owned and a couple of others.  But it ain't a long list.  

A very good point, I got bored of my supra last year, went and test drove a fair few cars around the 24k-35k mark and honestly nothing got me super excited like I thought it would. I come to the conclusion that none had the raw, on boost, feel everything, super special vibe that I get from the supra. I've ended up throwing cash at the supra and upgrading it instead and it probably the best decision I made :)

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Mr2kyle said:

The more they price petrol cars, the less they will command in value as the demand wont be there.

Whilst that statement may ring true for the average VW Golf or Polo, there will always be the nostalgic demand for these cars.

On 3/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Mr2kyle said:

So a tesla model S would mean i could enjoy driving and not pay out the arse to do it.

Having owned a couple of P100D Teslas in the not so distant past, as well as having reviewed the Model S’s most recent incarnation, I can say this; the novelty of the instant response will wear off. Once it does, the car becomes very dull, very very quickly.

I also don’t see electric cars, in their current form, as the future. Imagine your entire street being “plugged in”. Notwithstanding the fact that we do not currently produce enough clean electricity in the UK, surely all these silly cables would be a trip hazard for pedestrians and cyclists. Unless, everyone is forced to have a fast charger installed at their expense, which would be unrealistic/unfeasible for most people.

There has been some discussion about installing wireless charging tech under the tarmac on the roads but we are a fair, fair, way away from such tech being developed, let alone by the government’s, overly optimistic, 2030 deadline. So at least for our generation, I think we’ll all be dead before the time comes where there are no more ICE cars on the road. In the unlikely event that it does however, I’m moving to South America, Africa or the UAE where such a notion would be laughable.

I wonder how long it'll be before the 2030 deadline is extended and COVID blamed for not being able to meet it.

I get they're trying to be proactive and greener etc. but I'm with Mo and can't see how they can realistically expect to accommodate a large swing from fuel to electric in less than 9 years time. There's also the strong possibility that electric cars are just the middle ground to a different, long term solution like hydrogen that is ACTUALLY green and suitable for all road users. I can't see any way around the long distance problem for electric cars where owners have to add an hour to every 300 miles of their journey to recharge the car. And that's if they find an empty charging point straight away!

I mean ultimately, I guess I don't really care about any of it except for what space classic cars will occupy on the roads. I'm really hoping we don't get priced out of ownership through ridiculous fees to use the roads and escalating fuel prices (which counters the supply and demand rule but I'll bet they'll increase since it'll appeal to the wealthier who can afford to own weekend cars).

16 minutes ago, Style said:

I wonder how long it'll be before the 2030 deadline is extended and COVID blamed for not being able to meet it.

I get they're trying to be proactive and greener etc. but I'm with Mo and can't see how they can realistically expect to accommodate a large swing from fuel to electric in less than 9 years time. There's also the strong possibility that electric cars are just the middle ground to a different, long term solution like hydrogen that is ACTUALLY green and suitable for all road users. I can't see any way around the long distance problem for electric cars where owners have to add an hour to every 300 miles of their journey to recharge the car. And that's if they find an empty charging point straight away!

I mean ultimately, I guess I don't really care about any of it except for what space classic cars will occupy on the roads. I'm really hoping we don't get priced out of ownership through ridiculous fees to use the roads and escalating fuel prices (which counters the supply and demand rule but I'll bet they'll increase since it'll appeal to the wealthier who can afford to own weekend cars).

There's a few select companies converting cars to electric already, ive seen a lad converting his supra to a tesla set up and whilst boring compared to a 2jz, atleast it keeps the classic shape and feel of an old school car, I'd be quite interested in this route if push comes to shove 

33 minutes ago, raddys said:

There's a few select companies converting cars to electric already, ive seen a lad converting his supra to a tesla set up and whilst boring compared to a 2jz, atleast it keeps the classic shape and feel of an old school car, I'd be quite interested in this route if push comes to shove 

I don't think I could cope with a silent Supra! Half of the appeal is in the 2J so I'd probably just sell up if that was the case